Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

November 2013 Babies

1. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Mrs. J: I promise the anticipation is worse!! I cried last week too, but it got better! The smiles when I pick him up are amazing what's your childcare situation like?

Also, bring some pictures! Everyone at my school wanted to see him and of course, I love showing him off!

2. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@ms.janedoe: Super cute! Love the hair N had lots of hair when he was born, but now it's almost gone on the top and he looks like a balding old man!

3. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@Mrs. J: I'll be thinking of you!

@lilteacherbee: Bahahah C has that same problem - it's slightly mullet-like.

4. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@lilteacherbee: my mom is taking Mon through Thurs with my dad helping on Thurs, and DH's grandma is taking Fridays with my MIL helping occasionally. We're very blessed!

5. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Mrs. J: Aww that's great! My mom (and grandma, since she lives with my mom) keeps N for me. It really is a blessing. It makes it a lot easier to go to work knowing that he's with someone who loves him to pieces!

6. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@ms.janedoe: as I gave ds his bath tonight I had a thought... Do you use sleepy soap and lotion? This works wonders for us:
    http://www.californiababy.com/calming-shampoo-bodywash-8-5-oz.html and this: http://www.californiababy.com/calming-everyday-lotion-6-5-oz.html
    Hope tonight is a great night!

7. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

@Ash: Ha! I just finished giving her a leggy-rub with the lotion! She woke up at EDIT:6:15 so I've managed to keep her up until now, she'd juuuust started nursing and is still awake, so here's hoping this little 45ish minute awake time helps--and even this was a stretch to keep her up without screaming! Does your little man like bath time? I'd like to work it into our night routine (if you can call it that), but she haaaates getting out.

Right now I do diaper change and cream her up good, leg massages with that lotion, turn off nursery light and nurse--she usually falls asleep during this, once she's done move to our room where I swaddle her, then I rock her and sing Jewel over and over until I think she's sleepy enough to plop down. What are you all doing?

Mom came over for a little bit today, I ran out grocery shipping which was nice. Oh, DH will be home for tomorrow night!! He flies out again at 7:00am Wednesday morning, but I'll take the 24 hours I get! That's so awesome you guys have so much help and support from your families!

8. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

It's about an hour after she got up...she's nursing but not falling asleep! Oh noooo!!!

9. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

Our bedtime routine goes something like this: 7:30 we start bath time, then put on PJs and swaddle and nurse in our bed. Once he falls asleep I transfer him to the pack n play next to our bed. Sometimes he takes a long time to fall asleep, sometimes he wakes up a little while after transfer. One amazing time I put him in drowsy but awake and he went to sleep.

Of course this has all gone to hell tonight as D barely slept all day, but DH was able to get him to nap in the swing as soon as he got home at 5:30. So D's been sleeping for 3 hours and it's an hour past bath time now. I don't want to wake him up, but I really don't know how this will mess up the rest of the night. His sleep's been really bad in general the past 2 nights, so maybe it won't get worse.

We have our 2 month appointment tomorrow. I'm excited to see how much he weighs, but I'm not at all looking forward to the shots :(.

For you guys that breastfeed, what are you plans for pumping and bottles and everything for when you go back to work? I go back on Monday and I'm still trying to figure things out. I've been trying to pump the past few days (I have no stash) and I get varying amounts. When we formula feed sometimes we need 2oz, sometimes 4. So I'm not sure what to send with him. And do I make sure all the breastmilk I pumped is in equal portions - like all 3oz bottles? Or do I send them in varying amounts?

10. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

@ShootingStar: I would def send smaller amounts like 2 oz, but I'm not going back to work and I don't pump and feed all that often (ha, great advice, huh?!). I just say that based in leaving a 5oz bottle with DH and having her only take 3 oz and having to throw the other 2, and since I get 3oz every 2-3 days, it sucked. Hopefully someone who actually has good advice will pitch in.

That's awesome you can do drowsy but awake. I feel like it's an elusive myth. Haahha. I can put her in the swing and she'll fall asleep, but I feel like the swinging defeats the purpose. Hmm. To be honest, once it's nighttime, I'm usually too exhausted to risk having her go from juuuuust about asleep to wide awake when I set her down, so I don't even try. Sigh.

Good luck at the appointment!! Let me know how the night sleep went with the late nap!

11. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@ms.janedoe: personally I'd swaddle her when you feed/rock her. I make sure he's completely ready for bed the last time he eats (around 730/8). For us, we bathe, eat and go to sleep in RnP. He usually falls asleep by 9. I always rock him to sleep before putting him down.

@ShootingStar: I bet he would take 4oz at a pop. If not, have the daycare tell you what he's taking so you can adjust the amount for less waste. Unless you send a bunch of 2oz bottles - but that seems like a lot of bottles. But what do I know! Ds almost always takes 4oz here.

12. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

I'm on my own tonight and at 2am I think I've only slept for 1hr. Waaaah I'm so tired! Usually dh does 1 feeding while I pump... but tonight it's just me AND ds is giving me a run for my money. I don't know how single parents do it. And you, @ms.janedoe:, are a rockstar!

Oh, and I should add, I MISS CHEESE!
    That's all.

13. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

@Ash: I've tried swaddling first but she haaaates being swaddled and then fights it the entire time until she falls asleep, so she gets super hot and then the swaddle is loose and her arms come out. Fail.

Boo to no sleep, super not cool. You're doing great in your own though!! Especially feeding and pumping! Good job! Cab you sneak a nap tomorrow?

Tonight is much better (whew!) for us, 4 hour stretch and 3.5 hour stretch. I'm now stuck as she fell asleep eating, and then made a dirty fart... Do I wake her up to change her or just let it go for another hour or two (as I'm assuming she'll be up again by 7:00 like usual)...I diaper creamed her butt up good, so I might just leave it...gaaah, so guilty!!

14. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@ms.janedoe: I'm hoping I can but can't guarantee anything. Dh will be home in the afternoon but he gets first dibs on a map since he hasn't slept since Sunday night. maybe lo will nap and it will all work out!
    Isn't it funny how these teeny little people already know what they like? Honestly, I haven't swaddled ds for about 3 weeks now even though I think it kind of helped him sleep but he hates it and since he gives me 3-5hr stretches, I'm okay with it.
    I usually leave sharts until he wakes up! If he's awake, we change him immediately but asleep, we don't.

15. sweetooth

nectarine / 2705 posts

@ms.janedoe: Our evening routine is feed, burp, change, white noise, swaddle, crib, close the door and walk away. We've had Elliott in the crib pretty much since the beginning of January. He goes for 3-4 hour stretches at night. One of us usually sleeps in the guest bedroom which connects to the baby room via bathroom. So we hear him fuss and struggle to Houdini out of his swaddle for a bit, but he mostly tires out and falls asleep.

16. sweetooth

nectarine / 2705 posts

@ShootingStar: good luck at d's two month appt!

ETA: I have the same questions about pumping, formula, bottles, etc when I go back to work...

17. sweetooth

nectarine / 2705 posts

@Mrs. J: Good luck today!

18. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@ms.janedoe: Ha, I always have the same dilemma about poops. He generally likes to poop while he's eating and then fall asleep. I googled once and found a baby center thread that made me feel like crap for contemplating not waking him up. And @Ash is right - you are a rock star! By the time DH got home last night I just stuck the baby in his arms.

@Ash, we didn't have a great night here either. We had a 1.5 hour stretch, followed by 2.5 hour (usually it's 3+ then 2+), and after the 2nd stretch he woke up SCREAMING. I've never had him do that before. Sometimes during his witching hour he gets so upset he won't nurse, but never before in the middle of the night. We were up for about 2 hours after that :-/.

@sweetooth: I think my biggest pumping dilemma at this point is around what to do with the milk - What to pump into, and then how to make up the bottles. I doubt I'm going to be freezing much, so I bought these things that I can pump directly into and either freeze, feed from, or pour into a bottle - http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Avent-10-Storage-Starter/dp/B00018XCS8/ref=sr_1_7?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1390310991&sr=1-7&keywords=avent+starter+set.

I thought maybe they'd be better than bags, because with bags I need to pump into bottles, then transfer to bags, then transfer back to bottles. And since I doubt I'll be freezing much, the benefit of being able to freeze flat and store them isn't a huge deal to me. But maybe after doing this for a while I'll think this isn't such a great idea. IDK.

19. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

I'm considering finding a perminant donor for my milk. I'm just scared/nervous that I may need/want that milk down the road and then regret not having it (I have this desire to save all the milk). My current freezer stash is a little out of control and I will probably run out of room sooner rather than later (we are approaching 1000 oz already).

@MrsDragon: Not sure about the tongue tie. Looks normal to me in the pictures, but I don't really have experience with them either. Have you tried nursing in the side lying position? Both of my babies nurse better in the position, plus I get to relax.

@Ash: ditto on the cheese

@ShootingStar: @sweetooth: I would do a bunch of 2 oz bags and then 4 oz bags for awhile as far as freezing (save the 6 oz for later when you have a better idea of what LO needs). Do you have to have the bottles pre-made for whomever is watching? If not I would instruct them to only heat 2-3 oz at a time then add to it if LO wants more, that way you are not wasting any, until you get a better idea of what they take while away.

20. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

Well, I am alive and I made it to work. No crying yet. Forgot the A/C adaptor plug for the pump at home, scrounged up 8 AA batteries, only to have them die after like an oz on each side. Today is shortened classes so it's nuts. Luckily the secretary has batteries for me so I can pump during my lunch...

Somehow, DH didn't think he needed to get up any earlier this morning to get out the door with Jack, so I was crazed.

Blessedly, Jack has taken a bottle from my mother. Yahoo! Is it the end of the day yet?

21. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

Oh my goodness. I have a fussy pants on my hands today!

22. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

What do you girls do in regards to learning activities for lo?

23. sweetooth

nectarine / 2705 posts

@Ash: does having a conversation with him after every feed/change combo where he's engaged and cooing count?

24. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@sweetooth: Bahahah I do that too! He loves to lay on the changing table and chit chat! But what about stimulation? We don't have any toys!

25. sweetooth

nectarine / 2705 posts

@Ash: isn't it crazy how talkative they can be on the changing table? I feel like he's not all that interested in toys. I've tried laying him in the pack n play and batting the little stars on the mobile thing above him. I think he enjoys looking at the ceiling more

26. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@sweetooth: same! Well good, I'm glad we're on the same page. I don't want to be behind!

27. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Ash: N is OBSESSED with ceiling fans! He'll stare at them forever. He's not really interested in toys yet, except for one of his mobiles. I sing him lots of my pre-k songs, which I'm sure he thinks are totally annoying

@Mrs. J: Yay! Hope the rest of the day was tolerable and you are getting lots of snuggles tonight

28. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@lilteacherbee: I just don't want to be missing something I'm supposed to be doing. I sing all the time too - he laughs so he must think his mama is crazy (which she is). What's with it with ceiling fans?

I love seeing our babies grow and learn but it makes me sad hiow fast time is going!

I know a lot of us are gonna ttc #2 when our LOs turn one. MrsJ, lilteacherbee, MrsPink... anyone else?

29. Cara M. 17

clementine / 825 posts

@Ash: We have a musical turtle (Lamaze brand) that DD loves. She smiles every time she hears it. She also loves to stare at the baby Einstein talking tubes bc it has lights. She laughs at her mobile now too (fluttering paper birds). I try to put her on her playmat once a day too but she's not always interested.

I'm so jealous of everyone who has family helping to care for their LO! I go back to work in two weeks and I'm still trying to find a nanny.

Our bedtime routine is bath (every 3 days), diaper, lotion, jammies, one boob (in glider in the nursery), swaddle, other boob, burp/rock for 5-10 mins, place in bassinet in our room asleep. She *usually* sleeps 9-2 then we feed and put her back down, often in our bed. She wakes up again around 5 and lately won't go back to sleep after that.

30. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

@Ash: Did you get a nap in? Sorry for the fussypants, we just had a half hour meltdown since I tried to keep her awake from 5-7ish...oops.

We have a lottttt of toys and the Fisher Price piano kick-mat-thing. She just in the last week (starting at 10 weeks maybe?) started LOVING it, she'll kick and kick and kick. Also, in the last 3 days she started batting at toys (and the ones on the mat) dangling above her. It's seriously the cutest thing ever she gets all serious and her tongue sticks out and she balls up her tiny fist and just hits at it over and over.

We're 11 weeks tomorrow, so nuts!! I'm not sure when well go for 2...part of me wants to wait, and part of me (and DH) say to just to it soon. Ditto on the changing table. It's like her favorite place ever! We sing lots of songs, talk about everything, and (gasp) watch tv from time to time.

@Mrs. J: Hope the day went great!

@anbanan15: 1000 oz?! Holy shit, I was feeling confident about my 30-40 I finally accumulated! That's awesome of you to consider donating!

ETA: This stupid Sassy ball thing is her favorite, she LOVES it. She also likes some of the Lamaze animals, and that Fisher Price music seahorse.

http://amzn.com/B00CIYN2WO

31. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

@Cara M. 17: Omgggg, the 5:00am wake up is the worst. LO does the same, getting up around 4:30-5:30. That's when she's just wide awake... We usually end up laying on the changing pad and kicking for 20 minutes, then staring at the night light for 20 minutes, then laughing at the wall and shadows, then finally deciding to be tired and go back to sleep for an hour... Lame.

32. Cara M. 17

clementine / 825 posts

@ms.janedoe: hah I usually lay her back in bed with me, pop the binky in her mouth and beg her to go back to sleep for a little

33. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

It's been a snowy day stuck inside here!

@ms.janedoe: I heard the average pumping output is 0.5-2oz total per session so your stash is awesome!

I donated with DS to a local women who was adopting and unable to induce lactation, but BM was very important to them. I just gave one huge lump sum (just over 1110 oz) and then saved the rest again for DS, but I was thinking of finding someone M's age and preferably that would need dairy/allergen free milk that I could give so much to weekly/monthly the entire time I BF.

@Mrs. J: wahoo! Good job surviving your first day back!

34. ShootingStar

coconut / 8472 posts

@Ash: yeah I think we're going to TTC again in about a year too.

Oh man, today was rough. Declan screamed throughout his entire appointment. He started off mad because he didn't like getting undressed. The. He went nuclear with the shots. It was awful. He slept while I ran some errands and then woke up and was screaming and obviously in pain and with a giant lump where they did two of the shots. He's finally settled down and nursing now while we lay in bed.

@anbanan15: wow that would be awesome for you to do. And I had no idea how little the average pumping output is. I generally get 4-6oz total per session.

35. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@ShootingStar: Awesome job mama! And I know! We typically think a "good" pumping output should be so much more!! I read it elsewhere also, but here is an excerpt from Kellymom about what is normal:

36. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

@ShootingStar: @anbanan15: You both are pumping rock stars! I can usually get an ounce-1.5 ounces in the morning if she hadn't drained both boobs. Throughout the day though, I can only get a little out so I'm just pumping in the morning if I can fit it in. I'm putting 3oz in the freezer every couple of days, I'll take it though!

@ShootingStar: I'm sorry the appointment was crappy, not fun.

I just committed the cardinal baby-sin... After her meltdown earlier, LO went down around 8:00. It was 1:00 and I woke up because my boobs hurt so bad. LO was still technically sleeping...restless and starting to wake up, yes, but...still sleeping. I grabbed her to feed her. I just couldn't justify pumping when I knew she'd be up, and I figured she'd be up within 10 minutes anyway,.. Guilty. My boobs are feeling better though! And shit, a 5 hour stretch? I'll take it! I feel awful, but keeping her up and the resulting meltdown were kind of worth it tonight.

37. sweetooth

nectarine / 2705 posts

@ms.janedoe: dude, 5 hours? Totally take it when you can get it. Especially if it's the nighttime. I just got 4 consecutive hours myself because he didn't make a peep until 3 am instead of 2.

38. Ash

honeydew / 7909 posts

@Cara M. 17: oh he hates his play mat! We have some toys and just ordered some more. I mean, I guess we can't hold him ALL THE TIME, huh?
    Good luck with the nanny search!

@ms.janedoe: I did get a nap - finally! Poor dh was up for like 36+hrs and he didn't get a nap. I felt like a weenie wanting one!
    Look at that pic - her little arms are just a-movin!
    As for painful boobs, I've been there! Did she go back to sleep well?
    I'm kind of on the one and done boat but dh wants more so as of now, I'm willing to have another. I used to want 4 but things have changed!

@anbanan15: I'm gonna wall you (when I get time)! I love that you donate your milk. I wonder how much I have. I usually get about 8-10 extra ounces a day.

@ShootingStar: Yay! Another ttc #2 November mama! I'm dreading 2mos shots -we go in 2 weeks. I'm sorry little D had a hard day. I hope the night was better!

We're in an obvious wonder week. Fussy. Bad sleep. Fussy. Did I mention fussy?

39. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@Ash: I got the milk maid app to keep track of all of my pumping/stash. I actually keep track of the pumping on baby connect (I like it better), then also put the total in the milk maid app because it gives you stats and always has a running total, plus you can take it out of your total if used, donated etc.

I'm not sure how you freeze it, put I put a certain number if bags stacked into a 1 gallon zip lock bag, so I could add up the total that way too.

@ms.janedoe: Good job mama! I totally would have pumped and not woke the baby lol. But I know if I was full and true to feed her without pumping first it would have been a disaster. Keep up the good work!

40. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

Oh we have our 2 month appointment this afternoon. I'll let you all know how it goes later.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee