Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

Oct 2012 babies chat Part 2!

1. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

@hilsy85: Sounds like a nice party! What kind of cake are you baking? I was going to make J's smash cake, but then I got lazy and decided to order it instead.

J is getting over his first cold, I think... I can't figure out whether it's an actual cold or just teething... he's had a runny nose since Thursday night, but no other symptoms (apart from being a little stuffed up). He's cutting a few teeth on the top at the moment, poor guy!

2. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

@MrsRcCar: That's such a great photo!! Happy first birthday, N!

3. LuLu Mom

GOLD / wonderful olive / 19030 posts

@katsupgirl: She loved it, we went on a Tuesday so it was not busy, which helped since she was so small. We were able to enjoy all the attractions without having to worry about bigger kids bumping into her. I think she was a little young to really get a lot out of it, but it was a fun family outing for sure! She carried around her mini pumpkin with her all afternoon.

4. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Beehive: I'm doing an apple spice cake with cream cheese frosting (recipe from smittenkitchen.com). Poor J--exciting about the teeth though!

5. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

@hilsy85: Oooh wow, that sounds amazing! I love smitten kitchen. I want to cook all of her things.

6. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Beehive: me too--I don't think I've ever made anything bad from her!

7. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

hi Ladies!!

Just wanted to check in--I think all our LOs have turned the big ONE! How are we all feeling as mamas of toddler/soon to be toddlers??

I am actually much less sad than I thought I would be--I am SO excited to see L start talking more and walking around. He's becoming more and more fun, and I love this age. Although it kind of makes me wonder if I'll ever have baby fever again (i'm sure it will happen).

We had our 1 year blood draw today--ugh, traumatic!! Luckily she got the needle in on the 2nd try and then it was quick.

Maybe we can all post 1 year stats/updates?
    Height: 31 inches (84th %)
    Weight: 19.5lbs (9th%)
    Cruising, crawling, walking: crawling and cruising, and he took FOUR steps yesterday!
    Words: dada, bubbles, bellybutton, doggie, ball--no mama though
    Current challenges: the transition to WCM is a bit of an issue--right now I've been getting him to drink about 4-5oz a day by mixing it in smoothies, I'm hoping to eventually make them mostly milk instead of milk, yogurt, and fruit. Also sleep. Always sleep.
    Best moment recently: seeing LO take his first real steps yesterday. It was in music class and myself and another mom started crying, lol

8. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@hilsy85: hi! good idea!! we are all so busy with our ONE YEAR OLDS -- crazy. I agree - so fun, i love this age so much. L has so many fun words! haha -- and that's so sweet that you & the other mom started crying when he walked!

LO is starting to walk REALLY well, it's hilarious. he's been "toddling" for a while, preferring crawling, then one day he just started walking the majority of the time.

Height: 30 inches (56%)
    Weight: 20.7 (30ish %)
    Cruising, crawling, walking: walking mostly now! still crawling when going super long distances
    Words: mama -- also happy & baby - but i'm not 100% sure he know's what he's saying, dada occasionally
    Current challenges: figuring out a sippy cup he will drink out of! i'll slowly wean from bottles but he loves his bottles.
    Best moment recently: his first birthday, and when he heads across the room to me, and looks up at me and just wants me to hold him/cuddle - it melts me a little bit every time.

9. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@hilsy85: oh - what's the blood draw for?!? we didn't have to do that - but LO was sick at his one-year appt last week & had a slight fever so we couldn't do his vaccines....

10. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@hellobeeboston: ugh lucky! It was for lead and anemia. Yay, can't believe J is walking! so exciting!

11. LuLu Mom

GOLD / wonderful olive / 19030 posts

Maybe we can all post 1 year stats/updates?
    Height: 29 1/2 inches (20%)
    Weight: 18.7lbs (10-15th%)
    Cruising, crawling, walking: Walking about 80% of the time She is pretty wobbly but she keeps trying to go faster!

Words: mama, dada, shoe, up, yeah, all done.

Current challenges: tantrums, she throws herself back when she can't express herself & when you say "no" she does an over exaggerated lip pout with a delayed cry of like 30 seconds. I need to get this on video! haha mean mom but it's too funny.

Best moment recently: Seeing her understand what we say. I asked her to brign me her shoes and she did, asked if she wanted milk and went to fridge, I say "it's bath time" and she lights up and runs for the bathroom. It's just amazing how much she's picking up on.

12. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@LuLu Mom: yup we have tantrums here too, usually over us not letting him stick his hands in his diaper pail or "forcing him" to lie down for a diaper change! I do love the understanding as well, it's so cool! Makes me feel less like I'm talking to myself!

13. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@hilsy85: great idea! Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread. But I guess now is a good time to jump back in!

Height: 29 inches (little shorty!)
    Weight: 21.5 lbs
    Cruising, crawling, walking: walking! Started at 11.5 months.
    Words: mama & really close to saying dog

Current challenges: we're going through a really bad separation anxiety phase right now and on one hand I love it but on the other, it can be really annoying. I can't even leave the room with out him crying. He clings to my legs and I can't even walk anywhere. I guess I should bust out the carrier and wear him.

Best moment recently: hmmm he finally started pointing and it's so adorable! I feel like I'm getting a little glimpse into what's going on in his brain. I'm getting to see what is catching his attention because he'll point at it.

14. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@mrskc: aw sorry about the separation anxiety! We have that over here too, if I leave the room and he can't see me, or then hears me in another part of the house and can't get to me. I feel bad because he cries even when he is with DH and I know it makes DH feel a bit sad.

15. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@hilsy85: ooh we had the blood draw last week too! i wasn't there - my husband and nanny were - and L was super upset. crying so hard that she was hyperventilating at the end. she doesn't like the dr's office to begin with - i think she knows it means shots, but they did the blood draw at the beginning, and then they were poking and prodding, which she hated and then her vaccinations and then they had to do the blood draw again! poor thing. i think she was traumatized

Height: 30.5 inches (80s%)
    Weight: 20lbs 3oz (56th%)
    Cruising, crawling, walking: crawling and walking.
    Words: up, down, dada

Current challenges: hmm. right now, i'm not worried about too much (just jinxed myself there). a couple weeks ago, i was worried about her not drinking any wcm, but she eats a ton of solids and the pedi said that is where she is getting most of her nutrition from now. she's starting to get upset when she doesn't get her way, but they aren't full blown tantrums yet.

Best moment recently: she's started to be more cuddly, which is nice! she started signing "more" when she eats, which amazed me.

16. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@SleepyMonkey: ugh awful! poor L.

That's awesome about the signing! I sometimes think L is signing more, but it looks like he's clapping, so I get confused, lol. And yay for cuddles--we rarely get those over here!

how are you all doing with the daylight savings switch? I think we are back to our "normal" routine now, the day after DST LO actually slept later than expected which was awesome.

The last 2 nights we decided to try an earlier bedtime to see if that will help his night wakings. He's been sleeping til 5/515, nursing, and then going back to sleep til 615/630. Which is great! But at the same time, I wish he were just sleeping through til 615! That 5am wakeup stinks.

17. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@hilsy85: we did ok with daylights savings. i think she is still figuring out her wake up time. she woke up at 6:30 a couple days, which is normal and then this morning she woke up at 5:15 (aaghh) and fell back asleep after 10 mins to 6:30. so...not great, but not bad either. btw, L's haircut is soooo cute. he really looks like a big boy now. can you believe it?! L's sleep sounds like its gotten better? or no?

18. Tidybee

nectarine / 2834 posts

@hilsy85: what is with the diaper change fight?! It is constant!
    Height: 29 in
    Weight: 20.9 lbs
    Cruising, crawling, walking: walking...all.the.time.
    Words: book, all done, ball, dada, hello, up...and Elmo
    Current challenges: still transitioning to milk, so that is keeping me from weaning. We move in 3 weeks so I want to be totally weaned by then. My personal challenge is transitioning to SAHM status this Friday! I'm a little terrified.
    Best moment recently: every time I arrive at daycare, she drops what she does and pretty much runs with her arms outstretched to me.

19. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

Hi ladies! I finally caught this thread! I always seem to miss it... happy belated first birthday to all the October babies!

Height: 32 inches (95%)
    Weight: 21 lbs 8.5 oz (25%)
    Cruising, crawling, walking: crawling (fast) and cruising, standing (from sitting), sooo close to walking
    Words: dada
    Current challenges: Not to do with J, but more us - finding the time to put together a variety of foods for him to eat!
    Best moment recently: His first birthday party, especially when he had his smash cake, was holding onto it with one hand on either side, stared at it, and just went in with his face - YES! And this week when I was feeding him, and his dad came home and peeked his head around the corner, and he giggled so much.

His 1-year checkup went well, it's surprising that you guys all had the vein blood tests (sounds awful!), they just did the finger poke at his doctor. He had the MMR and part 1 of his flu shot. Amazingly he didn't do anything during the flu shot at all (no crying, nothing), but the MMR stung a bit so he didn't like that one.

We're doing 1 bottle a day of WCM and 1 of breastmilk from the freezer (and I nurse morning and before bed still). My freezer stash is about to run out though, so sad! We'll have to start doing 2 whole milks. I tried to go straight to straw cup + cold milk, but he wasn't really drinking it, so for now he's getting slightly warm WCM from a bottle. Is that bad? Is he supposed to be transitioning out of bottles?

Daylight savings was okay for us, but we're messing it all up again by going to Chicago for the weekend and shifting an hour earlier! Poor J, hopefully he'll have fun seeing his aunt and grandparents though.

20. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@SleepyMonkey: wah I can't believe it, he's not allowed to look so big! None of them are! His sleep was going pretty well, but we are upstate this weekend and drove up last night, he fell asleep in the car and we got here around 9 and he went right back to sleep but was up like every 2 hours, ugh. Hopefully tonight is better!
    @Tidybee: so exciting about the move/SAHm status!!! Yay!! Just like you called it, L doesn't like milk either--are you trying to mix with BM in bottles? or just take the transition slowly?

@Beehive: so cute about the smash cake! I think bottles are ok still, our pedi was not so concerned about them, she just said by 15 months or so they should be off them. That's lucky that you only had to do the finger prick!

For you cold weather ladies, what are you doing about your LOs hands this winter? L refuses to keep them under his stroller blanket when he's in the stroller, and when we're out and hes in there or when he's at the park, his hands get freezing so quickly. But I feel like there's no way he'll keep mittens/gloves on...any ideas?

21. MrsRcCar

grapefruit / 4712 posts

Hi Ladies! Happy belated Birthday to all our wonderful October Babies!!! Sorry that I have been MIA lately, things have been extremely busy with work and expecting number two.

Height: 28.75 inches

Weight: 21 lbs 5.0 ounces

Cruising, crawling, walking: crawling (fast), cruising, and has taken two steps here and there.. but has not committed to walking yet.

Words: dada, mama, roro (our dog), uh oh

Current challenges: Diaper changes! Nolan hates sitting still to get changed...

Best moment recently: I love it when he wakes up calls for me. Every single morning, and when I go get him he smiles and puts his arms up to be picked up.

His 1-year checkup was not tradition. I don't care for his doctor, however until we get new insurance in Jan 1st. I will be so pleased to get a new doctor. I always get his shots done at the Health Department, they are much more up to date on the procedure for shots. He did exactly what I thought he would he screamed and screamed with the shots. He got 5 shots instead of 7. I declined the flu shot (no one in my family gets it), and the Chicken Pox shot. I may change my mind in a couple of months on the Chicken Pox shot but for now I am pleased with our choice. He got his blood test done a few months ago and it was rough but they came back just fine.

We're doing (3) 8 ounce bottles a day of Soy formula. He refuses to take anything but water from his cup. I am not too concerned about it. Sometimes we miss a bottle because he refuses to take it but not often. He loves to eat his food so I don't worry too much about if he gets all of them.

Daylight savings was been rough for us. Nolan has a pretty set schedule. We have been slowly changing it. I am worried that when we travel to Las Vegas next month that it is going to be rough. Hopefully he will do ok.

I can't believe it has been more then a year since our LO's came into this world. Nolan is going to be a big brother in March. I can't wait to see him interact with his little brother. I am a little worried to do this all over again but Nolan was such a dream baby, hopefully I am blessed this time around too.

22. Tidybee

nectarine / 2834 posts

@hilsy85: I gave up pumping at 11 months. It was just too much time out of my day at work for so little. I'm gradually mixing milk with formula. This week we did 2 oz of milk and 2 oz of formula. She gets 2 4 oz bottles at daycare and nurses morning and night. She handled that beautifully and i think this weekend I'm going to do 3 oz milk, 1 oz formula. Our pediatrician also suggested mixing in a little bit of chocolate syrup and then weaning her off of chocolate milk since it's usually the lack of sweetness in the milk they're reacting to.

23. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

Did all of you guys get/do the blood draw for the one-year appointment?? We just went back to the doc for his vaccines and they mentioned that we had to go to the hospital for the bloodwork.... it's for lead & anemia right? I will ask my doc but I feel like this is unnecessary? LO was formula-fed from 9.5 months until 12 months & it was iron-fortified so I'm assuming his iron levels are fine?

I guess i just have to suck it up & do it. ugh

@hilsy85: we haven't busted out the mittens yet, but i guess that will be soon -- i would put them on first, then the jacket so it's harder for him to get them off, maybe?

we've done a few walks since it's been cold and just do a hat (also impossible to keep on sometimes) jacket and wrap him in a blanket.

24. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@hellobeeboston: yes we got the blood draw. It was a finger prick but they had to do it twice because her lead level was higher than normal the first time and they thought maybe it was from her hand being dirty. I think the lead part of the test is important.

@hilsy85: we have a few mittens for her. She surprisingly doesn't take them off at every chance. Maybe like 20% of the time.

25. sorrycharlie

hostess / watermelon / 14932 posts

@hellobeeboston: we did the blood draw..ours was arm. she cried a little bit i think from the combination of not wanting to be kept still and the poke. but as soon as they were done she was fine! she cried worse (harder) for her shots. i was so anxious about it.

26. Tidybee

nectarine / 2834 posts

@hilsy85: The only way C will keep mittens on is because she can't get them off when they are both on!

27. katsupgirl

nectarine / 2280 posts

@sorrycharlie: @SleepyMonkey: @hellobeeboston: @hilsy85: talk to me about the blood draw. I'm so anxious. I'm putting it off a bit. Ugh! Is it terrible if I don't? I think it's state law. Is the finger poke less traumatic? Maybe I can request that instead of the arm. Waaaah!! Shots are bad enough.

28. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

@katsupgirl: Our doctor's office did the finger blood draw, and it actually wasn't that bad. I think J cried more from the nurse having to hold onto his finger to get the blood out (and he wanted his hand back) than the poke itself.

29. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@katsupgirl: we haven't done it yet!! I should really try to do it this week but we close on our new house and move Friday/Saturday - it's chaos in our house!

The holding him down part is going to be the worst - he hates it. And this brings back memories of when he was a newborn and we had to get blood draws for his jaundice... Traumatic. But I was also way more hormonal and he was so tiny. Ugh. I feel your pain/nervousness.

30. katsupgirl

nectarine / 2280 posts

@Beehive: @hellobeeboston: I've already put it off for weeks. Sigh. Not sure what's better cause if she's anything like her mama they aren't getting much of anything from her fingers. The nurse who did my finger poke for one of those pregnancy tests had to stick all the fingers in my hand. Ugh! Do they need to take a lot? She's so little!

31. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@katsupgirl: we got a finger prick too. it was that, combined with the poking and prodding, the vaccinations, and another finger prick that led to one of the biggest meltdowns ever. i wasn't there, my husband and nanny were. so....it was bad! but its necessary, so we just did it!

32. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@katsupgirl: It was not fun but it wasn't the worst thing ever. They were quick about it (got it in 2 tries) and once it was in it was over quickly. I have heard the finger prick might be better, but our insurance does an arm draw I guess.

33. katsupgirl

nectarine / 2280 posts

Thanks ladies! I guess I just have to get it done. Ugh.

34. MrsRcCar

grapefruit / 4712 posts

@katsupgirl: N got his lead and anemia test via vein draw. It was hard but over pretty quickly. In some areas there are children's labs that only do little ones draws.

N has his first shiner. He was playing with DH's phone and dropped it on his eye. It is looking a lot better. However over the weekend he busted his face on the wall at my grandmas. He bit his lip and it bled a little bit. He was pretty upset. My parents keep saying what a little bruiser he is. Anyone else's LO's got a shiner?

35. katsupgirl

nectarine / 2280 posts

@MrsRcCar: I'll check for children's labs. A couple of weeks ago she fell and got a wee bruise on her cheek. I wish I could bubble wrap everything!

36. MrsRcCar

grapefruit / 4712 posts

@katsupgirl: Nation Wide is the children's hospital in my area, most children's hospitals support a small local lab for children only. I feel you on the bubble wrap.

37. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@katsupgirl: we had the blood draw done at 10 months since at his 9 month his iron was on the lower end, his doc wanted it checked again at 10 months. Anyways, it was awful. Poor little guy was not happy about it. I even made sure I got someone experienced with doing babies but her helper was very new and had never done one before. They missed the vein in his arm on the first try and she held it in there poking around trying to get it. Then she went and got someone else and shooed the new kid away and they were able to get a vein in his wrist. I guess they're only allowed to poke twice. I hope it goes better with your LO! I would definitely try and find a children's lab or ask that the person is experienced with young children.

38. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@MrsRcCar: aww poor guy. DS has had some bumps and bruises. The worst was when he jumped out of the stroller at daycare and landed on his face.

So DS has to get his 12 month vaccines wed. We put it off since he had his well visit the day before his 1st birthday and doc said we could hold off. Then he got sick, so now we're finally doing it a month later. How did your LO's do with the MMR vaccine? Did your LO's get a flu vaccine?

39. katsupgirl

nectarine / 2280 posts

@mrskc: your poor baby! That must've been so scary.

I was super nervous about that too. We did it after like 3 weeks. No reaction but she was not a fan. She got over it pretty quickly. No flu vaccine. I hate shots!

40. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@MrsRcCar: I"m impressed you guys have gone this long without a big fall! Leo has had stitches, a goose egg, and multiple cuts and bruises. He is either accident prone or a trouble maker--or both!

@mrskc: Leo was fine with the MMR. He did geta cold the week after but I think it was unrelated. We are doing the flu shot and he seemed fine from that.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee