Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2013 Mamas

1. Sadieloo

kiwi / 726 posts

Hey Mamas! How are all of you and your baby's? All is well here. I don't know about you gals but I am loving 6 months. A is so much more interactive and expressive.

Name (if you wish to share): Alex
    LO age - 6 months as of Oct. 5th
    Weight - 17 lbs, 10 oz. on March 20
    Height - 28" on March 20
    Favorite food - so far we've only tried two foods - bananas first and he seemed indifferent, but he loves butternut squash
    Teeth - none, but he continues to drool and eat his hands like crazy
    Sleep - we've been bad and have been bringing him into bed when he wakes around midnight. My guess is that he's waking 1-3x a night, but he's sleeping for almost 12 hours!
    Naps - 2-3.
    Newest milestone - These aren't particularly new, but he is sitting and jumping like a crazy man in his jumperoo and 'talking' a lot. He is also getting more and more expressive with how he feels.
    "Words" - I think we are hearing a little da, da, da
    Sociability - He is super smiley and a flirt.

2. daniellemybelle

cantaloupe / 6669 posts

Fun!

(Skipping the name because this isn't Gold, and I think y'all know it )
    LO age - 5.5 months
    Weight - I think she's nearly 16 lbs now if not already there!
    Height - She's got to be 27 inches by now!
    Favorite food - She's tried sweet potatoes, avocados & oatmeal. Oatmeal is definitely her favorite! Sweet potatoes, not so much.
    Teeth - No real signs except DROOL.
    Sleep - It's been the bane of our existence but she's fallen asleep on her own at bedtime 4 nights in a row, and last night we were able to do just 2 wake-ups, so that's progress.
    Naps - 2 big naps or 3 smaller naps. Most of her naps have been in my arms lately, and she takes her best naps in the car!
    Newest milestone - Sitting up! She sits better than she rolls. She is holding her bottle like a champ lately too.
    "Words" - Her main sounds are "ahh" & "hah." She also does this high pitched trill that is hilarious.
    Sociability - She can be a little shy but doles out the smiles to all her favorite folks - Mommy & Daddy, Grammy & Grandy, and the dogs most of all!

3. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

Ahhh! I am going to do the survey after her 6 month appt on Monday Anxious for her stats!

You guys... Effie's first tooth popped through this AM finally! She spent a good hour chewing on her piano last night so I hoped we'd see one soon! And now it hurts more when she chews on us, haha.

AND... she ALMOST STTN last night! She got me up fussing around 4/4:30 so I popped in her paci and went to heat a bottle. When I got back she was fast asleep again!!! I had a back and forth about what to do. I worried she'd then wake up after 5am at which point she won't go back down, so I decided to gently wake her, change her, and feed her. She had a 100% full pee diaper so I'm glad I did that- plus at 6:45 she had a 100% full AGAIN pee diaper (obv, I fed her) but also POOP, so I'm glad she had a fresh dipe. I've been trying to get up at 6:45 with her daily and make it a set time. It's helped her naps... good ones the last two days (well good for her, hour 15, then 45, then hour 15 again!)

Not sure what to do if she almost STTN again! I'm paranoid that she will be starving, or uncomfortable, or decide to get up for the day at 5am and throw off her entire schedule!

4. singingbee

pomelo / 5073 posts

We are going to the dr today. She was pulling on her ear and we are going out of town this weekend. I want I make sure it's not an ear infection. I'll post her updated weight and other measurements tonight.

5. Zbug

persimmon / 1355 posts

If anyone else is feeling bad about night wakeups, this article might be helpful. I love kellymom :). It helps me remember that there is no one right answer, and I need to just do what works for our family http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleep/

6. singingbee

pomelo / 5073 posts

No ear infection! Yay!!!! 16 lbs 10 oz. she didn't grow any height wise, but the nurse wasn't concerned with that. That could be due to bad stretching.

7. daniellemybelle

cantaloupe / 6669 posts

@singingbee: YAY!

@kjpugs: Toothies!!! How exciting. As far STTN, I say let that baby sleep! Just see what happens - she may surprise you and go straight through until morning. If you are worried about her diaper you could try an overnight diaper. Since you bottle feed you could also try increasing her bottles by 0.5 oz during the day to see if that helps her make it through the night? I'm no expert by any means but just some ideas.

I think we are out of sleep hell, thank goodness! My mom seriously came to the rescue. We are feeding S oatmeal for breakfast in addition to fruit & veggies for lunch, & she loves it. I know it's supposedly an old wives tale that cereal = better sleep but I think it has helped. She is taking 2 monster naps (2-3 hours!) lately & back down to 1-2 wake-ups & sleeping until about 7am. Ahhh, bliss. I just hope it lasts!!!

8. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@singingbee: I'm glad MM doesn't have an ear infection!
    @daniellemybelle: I may try some oatmeal cereal. Solids are hit or miss these days, but I'm embracing the attitude that food before one is just for fun.

YOU GUYS! We have a tooth!!!!!! She'll barely let me see it, but I can feel those sharp little ridges! Yay Tooth!

Also, how come the doctors don't warn you that the first period's a B? Better yet, why not our mothers, sisters, and friends? I thought I was hemorrhaging. I soaked through two pads while I was at work on Friday, and the cramps were a nightmare. It was like early labor, but NO BREAK. I called the midwives, and they were like, "yeah, the first period could be very heavy." I was not expecting this.

9. daniellemybelle

cantaloupe / 6669 posts

@avivoca: I was surprised that S likes oatmeal better than the other two foods we've tried! She opens her mouth for more like a little bird

I thought you already got your period back a while ago? Either way that sounds horrendous. I keep thinking it's coming because I get crampy (and my C section scar hurts! WTF) but then it retreats. Stay away!

10. singingbee

pomelo / 5073 posts

@avivoca: they get better. The first few were really heavy and I always had heavy periods. The last few have been normal or better.

11. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@daniellemybelle: I thought it had too, but it was just breakthrough bleeding according to my midwife.

12. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@avivoca: I think I'm in the minority- my periods pre-baby were HORRENDOUS, like wake-me-up cramps. Early labor was way better. WAYYY better. Now? Not bad at all! Shorter and lighter! Wonder how long that will keep up for me! Hope yours get better though And YAYYY TEETHIES!!!!!!!!!!

13. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

Survey time!

Name (if you wish to share): Effie
    LO age - 6 months tomorrow, 10/15
    Weight - 16 lbs, 13 oz. today
    Height - 27 and 1/4 inches today
    Favorite food - Sweet potatoes, probably? She's had apple, pear, peas, prunes, carrots, sweet potatoes, and peaches. Peaches weren't a hit but she ate them.
    Teeth - TWO!!! Front two teethies!
    Sleep - Not awesome, not horrible. Some nights are more restless than others. Going to bed early because of her crappy naps, she'll generally sleep 5:30 or 6 until 6-7 am with just one wakeup.
    Naps - Usually 3, but short. Sometimes I can get more than an hour out of her but usually 30-40 minutes is standard.
    Newest milestone - She's sitting up much better now! Can sit up unsupported for short periods, and if she falls over it's more of a controlled fall than a "Splat". She's working SOOOO HARD at crawling. She's also doing AWESOME at rolling, which I hate when trying to put any clothes on her!
    "Words" - Nada! Just her usual noises. We call her "Effie bag of cats" because sometimes she sounds like a bag of cats being thrown at a wall.
    Sociability - LOVES people, doesn't know a stranger. Starts to get excited/smile when I pull out my Canon or if she is looking at my phone and the face time calling noise starts (we face time my mom almost every day.)

14. TFrances

apricot / 286 posts

So, I completely dropped off the map for the last few months. Our weeks have been filled with finding new routines and getting to know our local mom's group. After a few initial missteps (being stood up), I switched groups and found some great supportive moms. This past month we have moved beyond park playdates and walks and are forming a babysitting co-op. So exciting! We are officially kicking it off in May-June, but for now are going through the application process, voting in board members (I'm Director of Membership!), holding our first social (Easter Party last Sunday!), and getting to know each other. Arthur's making new friends and I'm getting some much needed encouragement and adult conversations.

Name (if you wish to share): Arthur
    LO age - 6 months yesterday, 10/15
    Weight - 18lbs
    Height - ~27" (he squirms a lot!)
    Favorite food - Sweet potatoes hands down! Although he hasn't met a puree he doesn't like. We've tried a variety of packaged purees and homemade mashes. I'm really loved the Plum and Happy Babies pouches. Great variety!
    Teeth - None yet... but I can feel the hard gums on the bottom.
    Sleep - Great! Randomly he started STTN for 12 hours this past week. I wake up at 6 am and don't know what to do with myself as he's not awake yet. This has been a huge boost to my mood.
    Naps - Usually two. A mid morning nap for ~45 minutes and an after lunch nap for 1-2 hours. Sometimes he has a 15-20 minute cat nap around 4pm.
    Newest milestone - "Crawling" He's been scooting and inch-worming his way around the living room for over a month. But just in this past week or so he's getting more coordinated and trying to properly crawl. He'll take two or three steps on his hands and knees and then goes back to the army crawl. I freaked out the other day and bought all our baby proofing needs. I wasn't thinking he would crawl at this age (twins didn't until 8-9 months old) but now that he is, I need to baby proof!
    "Words" - We hold conversations all day. He especially likes a sound that sounds like "hi."
    Sociability - Now that we joined the mom's group, he's had more opportunities to socialize with other similar aged babies. He now has two besties: Luke and Edward. He lights up when they come to events. They all ended up rolling around the blankets and "fighting" over toys. So cute! As for adults, he's very serious (not many smiles), but doesn't seem scared of them. On Sunday he spent more time being held by other moms and dads than me (I was helping with the arts and crafts station) and didn't freak out at all. Of course he's met all those moms and some of the dads already.

15. abbylyn

apricot / 298 posts

Oh boy. Lucy is cutting both of her bottom front teeth and is a miserable drool monster. Here's hoping they pop through soon!

16. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

Had our first sick few nights this weekend E was so congested she couldn't breathe well and had a hard time sleeping. Finally had her sleep in her carseat. We've also gotten some killer naps out of her too- poor exhausted girl. The days have been good but the nights bad. And now of course I woke up sick. Sore throat and no congestion- hope E doesn't get this AND, we move tomorrow. Yipee.

17. daniellemybelle

cantaloupe / 6669 posts

@TFrances: Great to hear from you! I'm jealous that A is STTN! I feel like I could be a totally different person if I got more sleep.

Your mom's group sounds great! I was just starting to do some activities during the day & then LO started taking two monster naps so it makes it hard to go anywhere.

@abbylyn: hoping the same for both of us! LO is cutting 3 teeth I think. She sleeps so much better when I give her Tylenol but I feel bad to do it nightly...

@kjpugs: Poor sweet E!!! And poor you. Hang in there!

Our updates: LO is becoming SO social which is tons of fun. Obsessed with my parents & the dogs especially. Sitting up unassisted pretty well now! Still can't be bothered to roll much. Sleep is still hit or miss - I would REALLY like her to go down to one wakeup ASAP!

I feel like we need to work on some skills... How are your LO's with object permanence / cause & effect? My Wonder Weeks app says she should be lifting things up to see if anything is below, throwing something to see the content, making connections between words and deeds, etc. We are definitely not there yet. I hate that I am "that parent" worried about milestones & her development but I can't help it.

In other news I started working again recently - very part-time freelancing. I'm loving it! Lucky my mom can watch her. SAH has created a lot of self induced pressure to be super mom so I am a little relieved to get away a few hours a week & earn money at the same time!

18. Sadieloo

kiwi / 726 posts

@kjpugs: poor E! And poor you. Hope you are both feeling better!

@daniellemybelle: sounds like our kiddos are similar! A is 6.5 months and is sitting on his own but not interested in rolling over or tummy time for that matter. He doesn't have teeth yet either. A isn't lifting things up, or maybe he is, I just haven't seen it. My overall feeling is that different milestones come at different times so don't stress. Glad you are getting to work a bit and out of the house!

Our update: a had his 6 month appt today. He is a big dude--29 inches and 18 lb 13 oz. he is still really social, smiling at everyone and babbling up a storm - da-da-da is the winner right now

19. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

Greetings from Florida! I'm always so glad when I see this thread pop up. Hyla has started sitting up unassisted in the past week or so and it is so cute! She also has one tooth with more on the way. We bought a pack and play for our trip and so far she's slept in it for one hour before screaming for one of us to get her. It's frustrating. She's been doing two wake-ups per night lately, which is so much better than the four that had been the norm.

Currently, she is playing in her pack and play instead of sleeping. It's going to be a long night. She are a potato wedge today and LOVED it. She is iffy about puréed food and won't hardly eat it. She also woke up with an ear infection the day we left, but the ped said she would be okay to go on vacation and gave us some antibiotics.

I hope you all are doing well!

20. Sadieloo

kiwi / 726 posts

@avivoca: hope you guys are enjoying Florida and H was able to get some sleep in the pac n play. How's she enjoying the beach?

21. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@Sadieloo: She loves the sand, hates the water. We dip her feet in it and she whimpers while drawing them up. I think the water is too cold for her.

I spoke too soon on the wake ups. The night before last was awful. She was up 3 times before 12:30 and six times total. I almost cried at 4:30. Last night she was up every two hours. I can't wait for these teeth to come through.

My husband is bugging me some this week too. We are in a micro-suite, so while it is a bigger room, there is no dividing wall. Hyla needs the lights off to sleep at night, and he keeps getting mad about it. He always turns the light on and she always wakes up after about 40 minutes. Ugh! I spend so much time putting her down and he just wakes he back up.

She still won't sleep on the pack-n-play.

22. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

@avivoca: Creeping on your thread, but I totally feel for you...we went on "vacation" to FL a few weeks back. The hotel was a nightmare, we had the lights off at 6:30-7:00 every night and the only way LO would sleep was in bed with me, where she woke up hourly. DH would leave and go out for the night and get back around 11:00. Then she ended up getting a cold from the A/C, then ended up with an ear infection the day after we got back.

It's not quite the same as when ya traveled alone!

23. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@ms.janedoe: Well, she started off with an ear infection, so I hope the antibiotics are keeping it away. And yeah, before kids, the lights would be off early for a different reason .

24. daniellemybelle

cantaloupe / 6669 posts

@avivoca: Oh man, I feel for you too! S & I are traveling with my Mom at the end of May & I am worried about all this stuff too. Good for you for going on a trip though!

Y'all, I am REALLY over wake-ups. I know I should be glad it's only 2 now but I honestly expected she would be sleeping through the night at 6 months! *yawn*

25. MrsMed

apricot / 377 posts

@daniellemybelle, @avivoca, @mrsjanedoe: I hear you Sisters about the wakeups. Not that I want you guys to be miserable, but I feel a bit better knowing I'm not alone. Hang in there, everyone! This will pass. I was going through old photos of the babe today while pumping at work and I can't believe how fast she's grown. Pretty soon our peanuts are going to be large and MAYBE? we'll miss these days of no sleep. I hope they end soon because instead of being snippy and upset with my Insomniac baby, my sleep deprived self is annoyed with my husband.

26. Sadieloo

kiwi / 726 posts

@avivoca: i am picturing H curling up her toes and in my mind, it is super cute Sorry to hear her sleep has been such crap and that your hubs isn't helping the situation.

@MrsMed: @daniellemybelle: @avivoca: @ms.janedoe: A also isn't sleeping through the night. I don't even know how often he's waking because he's been back in bed with us for the last two weeks! Our ped freaked me out though saying that habits start forming around 6 months so we are trying to keep him in his crib starting tonight. It's so hard though because we both love having him in bed

27. Turd Ferguson

pomegranate / 3160 posts

@Sadieloo: It's awful, I'm the same way... I always try to start her in the RnP (sigh, still haven't transitioned to the crib...I meant to but at 3 months hourly wakeups started and nothing had really improved since then), but by 12:00-1:00 every night I drag her into bed with me for the rest if the night. She still wakes up hourly, but it doesn't seem as bad when I'm still in bed.

Were 6 months on May 6th (less than 2 weeks!!), and as soon as I get the all clear on her ear infection from the pedi, I think we're going to start sleep training.

28. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@Sadieloo: OMG, it's adorable! I wish I had a toe-curling pic, but here is one of her in her Easter dress and one of both of us in our new swimsuits.

(Sidenote: Is it just me, or are there no suits that are cute and cover up my post-preggo boobs? Everything was scandalous!h

29. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

30. Sadieloo

kiwi / 726 posts

@avivoca: Oh my goodness - she is just precious! You are looking great as well. So now I of course feel compelled to share a pic of my lil man. This is A over the weekend.

31. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@Sadieloo: He is ADORABLE!

32. singingbee

pomelo / 5073 posts

@avivoca: precious pics!!!!!!

I'm so sorry about all the wake-ups ladies!!!! M2 is actually sleeping through the night, but now my supply is dropping. I don't know which one is worse. I'm staying up late to try and make up the difference, but I'm also kind of getting over the whole pumping thing. Sigh.

M2 is starting to do drowsy but awake when we lay her down. She cries a few minutes, but I set a timer for 15 minutes and she is really upset or still crying after 15 minutes, I go get her. The longest she's whined has been about 5-7 minutes.

She weighs 16 lbs 4 oz and is 26 3/4 in. 47% for weight and 75% for height. She loves peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, squash, pears, prunes, bananas, and oatmeal cereal. She loves bath time and gave me her first laugh without me trying to do anything to make her laugh. She just looked at me and laughed. So precious!!!!!!

33. Sadieloo

kiwi / 726 posts

@avivoca: Thank you! My hubs would say that he takes after his father.

34. daniellemybelle

cantaloupe / 6669 posts

@avivoca: @Sadieloo: Love your pics!

@singingbee: So glad to hear MM is doing so well! She seems so advanced.

LO has picked up some new skills lately. She pulls things off her face or objects now which is a fun game. She also is SCREAMING all the time - not like crying but just when she wants attention. It's annoying!

Some random questions:

- We are struggling with the 3-2 nap transition. Anyone else? I never know if it's going to be a blessed two 2.5 hr nap day, or a cranky three 40 min nap day.
    - Are your LOs still into food? After a fun-filled introduction, she has been getting frustrated quickly at mealtimes & not eating very much. I find myself pushing her to eat which I know is making it worse.
    - What size bottles is your LO drinking? S is growing a bunch but I don't know how - she will not take more than 3.5-4 oz! We even went up a nipple size but she still drinks the same amount. I want her to eat more during the day so she is less hungry at night.

35. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@daniellemybelle: Food is touch and go. She's not a huge fan of the spoon and is picky about what she eats. One thing she LOVES is food in a pouch. She is still drinking 3 4oz bottles mostly. At daycare today she ate solid food and they only gave her two bottles, so I will be asking the to feed her the third bottle as well.

36. singingbee

pomelo / 5073 posts

@daniellemybelle: I hate the 3-2 nap transition. Yesterday she seemed to handle it okay, but other days she is a bear when she doesn't get that third nap. M2 is into food, but she's always been a little zealous when it comes to eating whether it is boob, bottle, or solids. She loves to grunt if we don't feed her fast enough. She still takes 3 5 oz bottles at the sitter's. one day I was short 2 oz and she just had that bottle at lunch time when she eats her solids too. It's time for af again, so my supply always drops when that happens. This time it was really low for me. She gets solids two times a day, once at the sitter's and once at dinner time.

37. ladybee

grapefruit / 4079 posts

Hi ladies! I haven't been able to check in much. Working full time and daily life have really sucked the hellobee time out of my day. I couldn't love being a mom more which is great!

M is doing great. Pulling out of daycare has saved us from getting fired and having a sick boy all the time. The food allergies are still very real as I found out over easter when I accidentally gave him something with milk in it. He loves food, loves watching us eat and I think he is dying to try table food.

His new favorite thing to do is shriek. ANNOYING. He also takes all his toys and drops them on the floor one by one and watches where they land. Blowing raspberries is also huge over here. Does it all. day. long. Overall, he is very pleasant and does well with being shared with tons of people. He clearly prefers mommy though which I love. We only have 6 more weeks till the school year is over and I get him all the time. I am so looking forward to it.

Sleep wise we are still down to one motn feed. Honestly, I'm over it. Like @daniellemybelle: I'm trying to stock up his amount ate of the day to see if it helps. Last night it did but it could have been a fluke. Right now he eats 3 solid meals (3 oz each) and between 24-32oz of formula a day. Sadly, 6 oz are ate at the motn feed. I'm trying to remember how lucky we are that he goes back down easily but I'm tired.

No teeth here, just tons and tons of drool. and chewing.

I hope everything is going great for you ladies!

38. MrsMed

apricot / 377 posts

@avivoca @sadieloo, @ladybee Thanks for sharing photos of your gorgeous kids. Everyone's baby look so happy. I can't get enough!

Hope everyone is well. Georgi is not a fan of the purees - she hates sweet potatoes (what is wrong with her?) but seems to like grownup food when she sits at the table with us. As in, weird stuff, like tofu and roasted broccoli. We're sort of doing modified baby-led weaning. I'm afraid she'll choke.

We're getting a helmet on Friday. Rather Georgi is. Flat head. It's not bad, and it's not affecting her brain development, but I don't want Georgi to be angry that we didn't fix it when we could. A friend said, "what if her flat head makes her self conscious about getting short hair cuts or limits her accessory choices.?" Ugh. I think she's perfect, but apparently I need to be conscious of how she'll feel when she's 13.

39. ladybee

grapefruit / 4079 posts

@MrsMed: another helmet mom here. Matts was so bad we got it months ago. He's almost done with it. It's done amazing things!

Here's an old photo

40. MrsMed

apricot / 377 posts

@ladybee: Ah! So cute. Thanks for sharing. How did he adjust? Could he sleep, did it bother him? I'm REALLY worried about heat rash, cuz we're coming up on summer and George sweats. She's my little oven.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee