Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2013 Mamas

1. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@AprilK: So glad you had a good appointment and heard a strong heartbeat!

ETA: Telling work can be stressful. I've expressly stated that I don't want to discuss the pregnancy/time off during any staff meetings, and I'm really hoping that nobody brings it up.

2. Lozza

pear / 1837 posts

I'm really lucky when it comes to work. I work for a large-ish (~2500 employees) company with tons of young women, so people are having babies all the time. There's no paid maternity leave, which sucks, but the company is really cool about being flexible when it comes to adjustments during pregnancy and easing back into work afterwards. Also, my immediate supervisor has two young kids, one of whom is just three months older than my son, so she totally gets it- plus, she used to work only 3 days a week, took 6 months off after her second child, and now still only works 4 days a week. With this latest pregnancy, I told her right at 6 weeks when I started feeling bad, so she wouldn't wonder what was up. (I also knew that if we lost the baby, I'd probably take a day or two off, so I'd end up telling her anyways).

3. AprilK

apricot / 391 posts

Telling the boss went great, won't go public totally at work for a few more weeks but that is a massive relief!

4. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@AprilK: I'm glad telling your boss went well! My boss was thrilled for me, and most of my co-workers are as well. I could do without the horror stories though...

On another note, has anyone started thinking about the baby room (DH refuses to call it a nursery). Most of the rooms in our house are blue, so this room will most likely be a more fun shade of blue, and I'd like to incorporate a rainbow into the room somehow. DH wants butterflies too. We'll see how this pans out.

5. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

Anyone else struggling with congestion? I'm not sure if its FL allergies (first March in FL, we moved here last May) or what. I can hardly breathe from dinner time on each night. Anyone else have this issue and more importantly- what are you doing about it? I'm dying!!!

6. Mrs. Yoyo

blogger / pomelo / 5400 posts

@KJfromNJ: I had that up until recently, mostly in the mornings. Had it last time, too -- just a constant stuffy nose. Never did figure out a solution

Trying not to throttle my husband right now. He worked late and when he came home, cooked some horrid shrimp scampi frozen meal, then carried the scent of it up here and woke me from a comfortable sleep with the stank. He fled when I yelled at him but it still smells like @&& in here. Gahhhhhh.

7. ladybee

grapefruit / 4079 posts

Anyone else VERY bloated and crampy? or was at 8 weeks? I'm so flipping uncomfortable!

8. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@ladybee: I definitely was! It was so uncomfortable! I feel much better now at 11w5d.

9. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@KJfromNJ: I had a TERRIBLE time with congestion and sinus headaches during my first. Talk to your OB but I was able to take daily Claratin (some other brands are pregnancy safe too but not all) and Sudafed as needed.

10. ladybee

grapefruit / 4079 posts

@evansjamie: thanks for the hope that it will get better!

@T.H.O.U.: I'm in that boat too and I get horrible spring allergies. I'm praying I can make it to my 10 week appointment (April 1 in Cleveland is still cold) before needing something so I can ask.

11. Chillybear

pomegranate / 3032 posts

@evansjamie: i have ideas and color schemes i'd like to use but we'll ultimately start putting things together once we find out if its a boy or a girl. The room that we will be using for the nursery is currently our office and my craft/sewing room. our plan is to finish the basement and move the office/crafts down there before doing the nursery.

anyone start to look at registries yet? I'm still debating where to register and i've been slowly gathering ideas for things that other people loved. I just hate reading online reviews I was looking at humidifers and on the same one there was a huge mix of "i love this, its so quiet" to "it broke the first week and was so noisy" not one stood out to me as a quality product.

12. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@Chillybear: My goal is to make the room and decor gender neutral and bring out gender in accessories. If we have more than one, they will be sharing a room in this house.

***ETA: DH travels through the summer for his job, so that's why I'm trying to narrow down the big things like paint and furniture before May 15 so he'll be here to help.***

I found out last night that my parents are not supportive of our decision to cloth diaper at all, especially my mother. It's really depressing.

13. Chillybear

pomegranate / 3032 posts

@evansjamie: whats her reasoning? My mom didnt "get it" at first and then i sent her links from the bum genius website and young house love and oh apostrophe. her response was that i shouldn't call them cloth diapers because of the connotation from older generations but to try eco friendly or reusable diapers. I plan on registering for them and I'm hoping to get a bunch at our shower.

14. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@Chillybear: Her reasoning is that I need to spend that time with LO, not doing laundry. She said that babies go through a lot of laundry, and do I want to spend most of my time doing laundry or hanging out with the baby. Also, the only way she would support it would be if I used a diaper service (but then backpedaled when I called her on it, i.e. "So, you're saying that I can't get them clean enough on my own?") She said that they aren't better for the environment because of all the water you use washing them. And then topped it off by saying that I'll have to tell everyone to not buy me diapers then.

Dad said, "Pampers at our house." He is more likely to do whatever I ask him too though.

I had planned on doing a diaper service in the first six weeks while the baby is small so I don't have to buy newborn diapers. It's just super frustrating.

15. Chillybear

pomegranate / 3032 posts

@evansjamie: maybe she's just afraid of the unknown. I know that even if i say we're cloth diapering i'll still get disposables as gifts so i plan on using those until we fit in the regular sizes. Check out your washer mine is a top loader but it has a rinse setting that goes right into a wash cycle maybe its just me but i dont think laundry takes that much (active) time: load, switch/hang, fold, put away. the most pain in the ass part is remembering to go change the laundry. My deal breaker was the daycare center we're hoping to use, but i checked with them and they're on board so were moving forward.

16. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@Chillybear: I have a newer top-loader, and it does have options for a just rinse cycle followed by a wash cycle. You're right, the only hard part about laundry is having to switch stuff out and/or hang things up. I'm considering daycare centers that are on board with cloth diapering right now and am fortunate that my city has a lot of those.

17. AprilK

apricot / 391 posts

@KJfromNJ: My nose has been all stuffed up basically since I got pregnant. I swear I am a hypochondriac, have been worried and talking to my husband about possibly having CMV. But my doctor checked me out and felt my lymph nodes so I think he would have caught anything other than a minor cold and stuffiness. I was more sick last week and got a bad cough and it sounds horrible! Doesn't help that everytime it starts to get better I have a puking session and irritate my throat again ;p

@Chillybear: My husband's mom had the exact same reaction to the cloth diapers as your mom, she was like "THIS is not the cloth diapering I was thinking of!"

I loved the thought of cloth diapering but my husband was horribly unsupportive and moaned and complained about them from Day 1. At one point I couldn't take it any more and just gave it up. So.. now the Bum Genius 4.0's sit in the basement. Maybe for baby #2?

18. Chillybear

pomegranate / 3032 posts

@AprilK: My husband has never changed a diaper in his life, so with nothing to compare it to and the need to learn the system either way. He said he would go for it as long as it was easy to do, and i showed him how i wanted it done. Luckily my husband threshold for gross things is set pretty high. He doesnt have an issue with dog poop/puke.

19. AprilK

apricot / 391 posts

@Chillybear: My husband is always the one to deal with gross stuff like dog poop or puke but for some reason the cloth diapers triggered something in him that he just couldn't take! It was hilarious, he would carry on and complain soooo much. Every time he took a diaper off it was "What do I dooooooooooooo with thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis?!?!?" haha..... it was partly hilarious and partly frustrating. Hilarious bc he was so worked up and sooooo supportive and great regarding pretty much everything else.

20. Mrs. Yoyo

@Chillybear: We have the Crane drop shape humidifier and it's been really nice. No probs whatsoever.

On that note, I'm happy to field any registry questions. I did SO MUCH research the first time around and was pretty pleased with everything we got. And I am so jazzed not to have to worry about any of it this time, ha

21. Chillybear

pomegranate / 3032 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: You may become my new best friend! I liked that one a lot esp since it came in colors.

All of the Gear (jumpers, bouncy chairs, swings, playmats, exersausers) seems so expensive and really crappy quality. The one Swing i liked by graco, I read the reviews and most of them talked about the motor crapping out with in a month or two and having to replace it. so frustrating... i think i'm going to have to go back and read through the "Loved it" Lists a lot of the bloggers made.

22. Mrs. Yoyo

@Chillybear: I think that particular category is the hardest. Especially swings. I actually just did a freelance project on the "best swings" for another website and it was hard to pick candidates because reviews are all so mixed.

If you can borrow a swing from someone, do it. You'll probably only use it for about four months (if your baby likes it, that is). If you want to buy, we had no issues with the Snugabunny. It's neutral, comfy, and plugs in. Motor was just fine, but we'll see if it lasts through a second LO.

23. Lozza

pear / 1837 posts

We cloth diapered for a while with LO and then gave it up.
    We used disposables the first few days because meconium poop is like tar, and then we switched to prefolds and covers (with a few fitteds) for a while, then had a stash of mainly Fuzzibunz with a few BG. The prefolds were easy, and we never had issues with them. We originally tried to rinse off the poop and I hated that part and thought it was messy and a pain, but if your baby is EBF you actually don't need to rinse, they can go straight in the wash, so I was a lot happier once we just did that. We never had issues with the prefolds getting buildup or smelling bad, and it was nice that they could go in the dryer (and covers alone air dry really quickly). My mom really disliked them, but was fine with any of the all-in-one cloth diapers where we'd pre-stuff them (if needed) and so for her, they just went on and off like a normal diaper, and just got dumped as is into the diaper pail. It was extra laundry, but it wasn't the end of the world, and I never needed to fold them or anything, plus prefolds are cheap so you can buy a million of them (they're also good burp cloths)
    We ultimately gave up because a.) LO started a daycare that didn't do cloth, so during the week we were only using a couple a day, so we either had to do tiny laundry loads, or wait more than a couple days and it would start to get gross, and b.) we started to have issues with buildup and repelling water and the stinkies. We did some stripping, and changed up our routine a little, but by then we were both working and it wasn't worth it to us to have to invest that much more time into figuring out how to fix our diapers. (This is once we'd moved into the FB and BG). Plus they were more of a pain to dry, and required more care and laundry time that we weren't willing to put in at that point.

24. Lozza

pear / 1837 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: I strongly, strongly second the suggestion to borrow as much baby gear (or find it used) as possible. It's really hard to know in advance what your kid will like, and what you'll like (I made sure to look for a stroller with full recline so I could use it with a really little one, and then I ended up using nothing but the Snap and Go frame I picked up for free from a listserv plus the infant car seat for the first 6 months). Craiglist, TotSwap sales, thrift store, etc. also great for this stuff.

25. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

Holy cloth diapers posts! LOL! I guess I might be one of the only ones not at all interested. I weighed the cost of the actual diapers versus the laundry/convenience/dealing with POOP (ugh) and I decided it wasn't worth it. DH gladly agreed! Lots of people I know CD though, so I totally support it! It's just not for me.

Our friend offered us a bunch of the gender neutral baby stuff they have ("bouncer" was all DH remembered hahaha) and ALL her old clothes. HER. Now I'm like baby you better be a girl! haha!

AND... today is our 3 year wedding anniversary! Woohoo

26. Mrs. Yoyo

@KJfromNJ: You aren't the only one ... I considered the idea of CDing, my DH vetoed it, and honestly, I haven't looked back! Totally support those who do, but I'm personally glad I'm not dealing with the laundry. (ESPECIALLY now that poopy diapers are making me puke.)

27. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: I thought diapers were a LOT more expensive than they are. Like, thousand + a month haha. So I think I set myself up to be like "oh it's not that much? Then screw it!" haha! I also didn't like the bulk they added- my nephew had to up his clothes sizes when wearing them. But they are SO much cuter!

28. Mrs. Yoyo

@KJfromNJ: Yeah ... I think some CD advocates kind of inflate the costs of disposables. If you're a weirdo who buys small packs at the grocery that are never on sale, yeah, that will get expensive. But once you find the brand you like, look for deals and buy in bulk, meh, it's not so bad. Especially once your LO is older and doesn't go through that many a day.

29. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@KJfromNJ: Haha, sorry about the CD posts! As for gear, I'm hoping to get a lot of the big toys/bumbo/crib possibly used. Things like the mattress, car seat, and stroller we'll buy new.

30. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@evansjamie: I feel the same about the used versus new! And no need to apologize I just hadn't been on the thread today and then it looks like we all just started talking about that kind of stuff!!! Just a reminder we're all moving fast towards DDay!!!! GAH!

31. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@KJfromNJ: I know!!! So exciting!

32. knockedup_nowwhat

grape / 91 posts

Another one not interested in cloth diapers. I hate laundry as it is! But I definitely admire those who can do it! I think we will try out Honest diapers or other eco-friendly brands, because I'm not crazy about having those chemicals on our baby's bum.

@Mrs. Yoyo: I have favorited a lot of your register/gear posts! When we finally do a registry, I may share the link with you so you can give feedback... would that be okay?

I'm really willing this week to go by quickly. I want to get into our appointment next Tuesday and hear that heartbeat again! Assuming we do, it will be 11 weeks, and I think I will finally be ready to relax a bit and start telling people!

33. TFrances

apricot / 286 posts

I got a job today. And I'm freaking out! I've been looking for months and I finally found a great in-my-interest-area job with my BF's company. I didn't disclose my pregnancy yet. I'm starting out as a temporary contract that can turn into a permanent position. I think I'm going to wait and see how the month goes and then decide. If I really like the job, I'll tell them them... And if this all works out, I have to make summer day care plans for my boys. So complicated! But in a great way!

Reading the thread today, I'm still debating the cloth vs disposable diaper issue. I think I need to do some more research...

For the registry, I've already started one of Amazon. Most of the people who will be buying things don't live near us. I hope being able to ship things to my house will be easier than trying to buy from a physical store and then ship separately.

34. Mrs. Yoyo

@knockedup_nowwhat: I'd be happy to take a look!

35. kjpugs

grapefruit / 4862 posts

@TFrances: I'm thinking of doing an Amazon one too! None of our family and few friends live near us, so that makes good sense! Is it easy to do?

36. Sweet T

pomelo / 5321 posts

I'm going back and forth with cloth diapers. With DS, I had no interest in them at all. Now that we're expecting #2, I really don't want to constantly be buying disposables for two. The savings is really the main reason I want to do cloth. Also, they're so stinkin' cute! DH is on board with cloth but I'll be doing 98% of the changes. I really don't know that I'm up for cleaning toddler poop out of a cloth diaper.

In other news, all I want to eat is junk! This baby wants chocolate! I feel bad for eating so poorly but I'm finally getting over most of the nausea and nothing else sounds good.

Anyone else feeling irritable? I'm still so surprised by the differences between this pregnancy and my last. I don't remember feeling irritable during the first trimester. I have been so cranky. My son must sense that I'm pregnant because he is extremely clingy. He wants to be all over me and my nerves can't handle it. I feel so bad but I don't know what to do about it.

37. Sweet T

pomelo / 5321 posts

@Mrs. Yoyo: I swear it seems like poopy diapers have gotten 1000 times worse! I have to cover my face to change them. Yuck!

38. TFrances

apricot / 286 posts

@KJFromNJ: Amazon is so easy to use. Under the "Wish List' tab, there's an option for Baby Registry. You can add anything from Amazon to the Registry. There are also suggestions and a "get started" guide. Plus you can download the Amazon wish list toolbar to add things from other websites. I have a Wish List for me, one for my boys, and now a Baby Registry. It helps us all stay organized.

39. Mrs. Yoyo

@Sweet T: Amen. I've instituted a rule that says DH has to change them if he's home. It's common human decency!

40. avivoca

watermelon / 14467 posts

@KJfromNJ: I may do an Amazon registry since a lot of my extended family lives far away. I don't expect gifts from them at all (or from anyone, for that matter), but I'd like to give them the option if they so choose.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee