Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2014 Mothers-To-Be!

1. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@mrskoloa: awesome! I'm technically 5w1d today but I think I'm more like 4w3d because of late ovulation. I guess we will see at the first appointment. Which, by the way, my OBs office has no called me back about. I'm going to call this morning and see what's up.

Interesting your Drs opinion on cloth diapering. We cloth diaper and it is certainly less expensive and (IMO) better for the environment. We plan to CD this baby as well. To each his own though

2. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@bushelandapeck: I agree with you about the cloth diapering... I am pretty much set on it already; I was just curious as to his opinion. Yes! call your OB TODAY! I'm interested to see how far along you are. I would never have guessed five weeks, but then again I didn't keep track of ovulation at all this month. In any case, it's actually only three weeks because they add two weeks from the first day of your period, not when you ovulate or implant.

@however briefly: The doctors at the facility I am giving birth at have patients come in to confirm pregnancy via beta, and if you're far enough along, they try to locate the placenta in order to eliminate eptopic pregnancy as a risk, because at five weeks you can already tell whether you're in the uterus or the fallopian tube.

Yes, I, too, love Kauai. I grew up in Japan as a military brat and my parents retired on Oahu. I met my husband during college and he imported me back to Kauai because he is from here. At first I hated it because it is SO SLOW here, but slowly it has won me over. I'm excited for your beta! My next one is Saturday morning to ensure numbers are going up. I am also curious about the possibility of multiples. Only one placenta was detected, but my doctor said that it does not rule out identical twins. I am really hoping for just one baby, though.

3. Mrs tartan

kiwi / 656 posts

My first appointment tomorrow. I think I'll be 5w 3 days.
    So excited to actually say the words "I am pregnant" to another human being. Apart from DH no one knows so really looking forward to saying it out loud.

4. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

I am so excited to be joining in here! Thanks @mrskoloa: for starting this for us!

EDD: Um... sometime between 10/10 and 10/14, going by lmp it will be 10/14 but I know I ovulated early, the question is which day. I like the roundness of 10/10 but we will probably tell people 10/14 to put off the "late" issues.

When Did You Find Out?: Last night! I got the most ridiculously faint line on a wondfo but I knew it was a good night to find out since we were planning a date night in so I took a frer and it was positive, I took a digital this morning to confirm.

Child Number: 1!

Where You Live: Michigan

What kind of provider will you see?: Midwife, we are going to interview a few home birth midwives because I would like to go that route, if that doesn't work out though we will do a hospital birth with midwives.

When's Your First Appointment?: Next week I have an appointment to meet one of the midwives but I don't have a real appointment yet.

What kind of birth do you want?: Ideally home birth but I am open to other options if it will be a better choice for us.

What You're Most Excited For: Too many things to list! Mostly though getting to be a mom.

What You're Most Scared About: Something going wrong, mostly miscarriage.

Symptoms so far: I think I grew half a cup size and my breasts are more tender than usual. I am also quite nauseous which I am hoping is just nervous excitement because if it gets worse this could be a long pregnancy.

Post a picture... any picture!

5. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@Mrs tartan: I know how you feel. Just hearing the nurse say that I tested positive was intensely more gratifying than the home test I took. Science made it more real!

6. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@Cole: Yay!!!! I was wondering when the two of us would hit pay dirt! I'm so happy to see a familiar screenname on here.

I'm also super excited for your home birth journey! I had considered home birth, but the options on Kauai are VERY limited. The home birth guru of our island just passed away suddenly last year. My husband is also a little leery of it, so birthing center was our compromise. I used to listen to these podcasts that got me REALLY hyped up (and informed) on home birth and pregnancy in general... Pregtastic Pregnancy Podcasts. You can find them on Itunes if you haven't heard of them already. I loved them!

7. LovelyPlum

eggplant / 11408 posts

@however briefly: April mama here! Just wanted to pop in and say that your story is so amazing! You and your sister are so lucky to have each other. I hope the betas go well!

8. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@mrskoloa: I was excited to see you in here too! I have heard so many great things about birth center at I used to swear that was the route I was going to take but we oddly don't have one nearby. Plus I really like being at home and thankfully my husband is on board. Plus we live five minutes from a great nicu (if you obey traffic laws) and two from another great hospital which is a better distance than some birth centers so we feel pretty confident with it as long as we click with someone.

I will check out those podcasts, I have been listening to Preggie Pals which are really well done, their app is great and they are in iTunes etc too.

I love that there are some people here who are planning to cloth diaper, that is our plan too so I am excited to start figuring that out. I am leaning towards disposables for the first few weeks and doing a trial from Jillian's Drawers to see what we like.

9. googly-eyes

GOLD / pomelo / 5737 posts

@mrskoloa: I walled you!

10. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@Cole: I think that film "The Business of Being Born" was really eye opening in terms of home birth, too. I will have to look up Preggie Pals. I will have to look up everything, actually. I've never been around babies. Ever. I don't even know what I need to stock my house with. I walked in the K-Mart baby aisle the other day and the feeding bottles overwhelmed me.

11. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

@Cole: Congrats!!

@LovelyPlum: Thank you very much!

@Cole: @mrskoloa: I am cloth diapering as well. I maybe sorta went overboard over the last year and ended up with twice as many as I actually need but I figure it might turn out to be a good thing if we end up with twins. (And WHY do I keep bringing twins up? I swear I'm going to jinx myself. This is the last time, I swear)

12. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@however briefly: you're totally having twins. Triplets, even.

13. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

@mrskoloa: Well, let's cross our fingers for only two. One of the stipulations my sister had from the very beginning is that she didn't want to carry multiples and as much as it hurts my heart, I respect her decision. Twins are okay with her but any more than that and we will selectively reduce.

Sooooo, I am probably CRAZY but I'm having a bit of a meltdown at the moment. I have a Mirena in, which has stopped my cycles altogether. A couple of days ago I started spotting which was really weird and now I'm getting these sharp pinching pains below my belly button. Of course, I do the last thing I should do and I google my symptoms and all that's coming up is things about implantation and pregnancy and holy f-ing shit. I am hoping it's just weird indigestion that I've never felt before or my IUD is falling out (again... the first one was in a year and then I started bleeding heavily and the doctor had to replace it with this one as it was no longer in place and now this one has been in for a year) because if I get knocked up after six years of infertility issues, and with a Mirena inserted, AS WELL AS a baby already on the way through surrogacy, I will probably cry. And hyperventilate. And then my husband will kill me.

Looks like tomorrow I'll be seeing the doctor (and feeling utterly ridiculous when he tells me it's just menstrual cramps or gas or something, LOL). Just had to share my craziness.

14. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@bushelandapeck: congrats!!! I hope you have a h&h 9!!!!

And yay! Congrats 2014 mamas - I was a 2012 oct mama

15. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@Cole: congratulations!! So nice to have you here I used a newborn CD rental but I think I will either just use disposables or buy a few covers and prefolds for the newborn stage. We use a mix of BG 4.0s, freetimes, and Elementals, with a few other random ones thrown in because they were cute
    @hellobeeboston: thank you so much!

16. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

Oh, and my first appointment is 2/24 for an ultrasound and meeting with a midwife. I will be 8/9 weeks at that point and I'm hoping all is well at that point.

Do any of you plan to tell people soon? I probably won't at least until we hear the heartbeat but that's how we did it with our son as well. I want to be confident, especially since our loss last time at 10 weeks.

17. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@however briefly: OH MY GOSH! What if?????? That would be a miracle and also a pickle. Symptom spotting is the worst. I personally didn't have implantation cramps or bleeding, my ovary did twinge every now and then but usually only around ovulation. This sounds like it could be expensive. And dramatic. I eagerly await your updates.

@bushelandapeck: I almost told a bunch of girls last night but I resisted. I'm in secret competition with a friend as to who gets pregnant first. Obviously I am winning but I'm waiting until week 12 to tell. I'll reveal the news at out housewarming party which will be the same week (now anyways). I did find a super funny card to send my parents though... I'll post a picture here later when I get home.

18. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@mrskoloa: fun! We told our families at Christmas last time and I had made cute onesies that said Baby last name Coming August 2012. Everyone loved it. I have a cute big brother shirt for LO this time.

19. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@however briefly: Twins would be fun (ok and really hard) I hope that your iud situation is uneventful, it would be crazy for you to be pregnant at this point but it will make for a spectacular story!

@bushelandapeck: I think we are going to wait until April Fool's Day to tell most people, we will probably not make it that long with our best friends who are a couple and they are expecting too. I saw her last night and it was killing me not to say something. Especially when I was ready to fall asleep at ten minutes to 8.

@mrskoloa: I want to see the card! I love funny cards, inappropriate ones are usually even better.

@Mrs tartan: Good luck at your appointment! I called to make an appointment yesterday and it was so much fun to get to tell someone!

I spent a lot of yesterday contacting various midwives nearby and setting up times to meet with them. It feels so weird to be finding someone to deliver the baby when it's hard to tell there is actually someone in there! I was really nauseous yesterday and woke up that way today though so I will take that as a welcome discomfort. Is anyone else feeling any different?

20. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@Cole: I feel slightly different. Mostly tired, bloated and crampy so far. In my experience, the nausea and aversions to certain smells/foods came right around 6 weeks. I also started having skin issues around that time too. Oh the joys!

21. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@Cole: Every morning I wake up feeling more nauseus. I haven't thrown up yet, and usually by the time I eat my oatmeal I'm fine.

I have attached a photo of the card I thought was funny.

@bushelandapeck: I am definitely not looking forward to skin issues. After I went off of the pill, my back, face, and chest took a beating. I am still fighting the good fight!

We should compile a list of products that seem to work well for various issues.

22. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@mrskoloa: That is adorable! They are going to be so thrilled I am sure!

23. Mrs tartan

kiwi / 656 posts

Had my first appointment today, got my referral to a midwife and my first appointment with her is on feb 11th then again on feb 18th. Got given a huge pack of books and leaflets to read, and some blood taken. Other than that I was just told congratulations by the doctor and was out the door in 10 mins

24. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@Mrs tartan: what are the books called?

25. Mrs tartan

kiwi / 656 posts

@mrskoloa: the big one is called "ready,steady,baby" and the other one is "screening during pregnancy" the other bits are just lots of leaflets on lots of different things. Ill need to remember to hide them when people visit. Haha

26. Mrs tartan

kiwi / 656 posts

Oh also my due date technically today came out as sep 30th but I think I ovulated a couple of days later so until I get my scan, if you don't mind, ill stick to this board too.

27. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

So I decided last night was a google-induced panic and that there's no way I'm pregnant so I shouldn't even think about it. Yes. I will be going to the doctor in a couple of weeks though to get a pregnancy test done just in case but totally not even considering this a possibility at this point.

In other news, first beta was today. At 4 weeks and 1 day it is 370 which my sister was spazzing about, exclaiming how high it was and that she thinks it might be twins. I'm trying to be more level-headed about it so that I don't need to panic prematurely. So far it's not working quite as well as I had hoped but I will take what I can get. Luckily it helps that a lot of what I'm reading states that hcg levels aren't the most reliable indicator for multiples as there are so many exceptions and variations. So yeah.

@Cole: My sister has absolutely no symptoms whatsoever yet! I'm starting to thinks she's a superhuman because she took three rounds of clomid as well with no negative symptoms which is kinda crazy to me.

28. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

@Mrs tartan: I think even if you end up with a Sept 30 due date you should visit both boards! There's a good chance the baby will be born in October even with a late Sept due date so why not!

29. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@Mrs tartan: I will have to look the big book up. I think over here the doctors think that you'll do most of your reading at home. I felt like unless I asked specific questions about things then I was responsible for finding the answers myself. I'm sticking to this board. The other board is so well established already, I don't have time to go back and read every page.

Update: I looked up the book. Apparently it's not like a real book you can buy, but the website can be accessed by all: http://www.readysteadybaby.org.uk/

@however briefly: So what will happen if she does have multiples? I didn't have any symptoms until week five.

30. Mrs tartan

kiwi / 656 posts

@mrskoloa: i think there will be better pregnancy books out there, it is good as I'm reading it but I still plan to stock up on "what to expect when you are expecting" and a few others.

@however briefly: I think it will be an October baby as they figured out my dates from lmp but I think I ovulated a few days later than day 14, so we shall see! Twins would be fabulous. When will you find out how many there are?

I also didn't have many symptoms until later, still have not got sore boobs. Since they are teeny, I'm looking forward to them growing!!

31. Ms.Pumpkin

apricot / 435 posts

Hello everyone! Looks like I'm joining you good folks!

EDD: 10/11/14

When Did You Find Out?: This morning officially! I tested early because I was having a medical procedure done at my urologist's. They confirmed my positive pee test, and then did a blood draw just to make sure!

Child Number: 1

Where You Live: Baltimore, Maryland

What kind of provider will you see?: I've got an appointment with an OB just to start

When's Your First Appointment?: March 5th - so long away! This office doesn't see people until 8 weeks along, when they do a sonogram and such.

What kind of birth do you want?: A non-medicated birth sounds wonderful, but of course the priority is a healthy mom & kid. I'd really love to avoid a C-section.

What You're Most Excited For: Telling our families, seeing the sonogram, meeting a healthy little one!

What You're Most Scared About: Miscarriage, and the other thousand-and-one things to worry about during pregnancy! I can tell I'm going to have to ban myself from "scary pregnancy stories" from now on!

Symptoms so far: Feeling a little icky, headachey, tired. Now I'm thinking that the weird cramping I was feeling from about 6-8 dpo must have been implantation? It was crazy, pinching cramping I've never felt before!

Post a picture... any picture! This is a photo of our littlest kitty, M. She's the baby of the house, and we're a little worried about how she's going to react to a new addition in the household!

32. Mrs tartan

kiwi / 656 posts

@Ms.Pumpkin: welcome to the October board! Your baby is due on my birthday hope your appointment went ok today.

33. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

Here is the list of EDD's and upcoming appts that I found from looking back. Please feel free to change/update as you see fit

October Mamas
    9/29 Mrs. Koala (#1)
    9/30 Mrs. Tartan (#1)
    10/1 bushelandapeck (#2)
    10/10 However Briefly (#1)
    10/14 Cole (#1)
    10/14 Ms.Pumpkin (#1)

Appointments
    2/11 Mrs. Tartan
    2/18 Mrs. Tartan
    2/20 Mrs. Koala
    2/24 bushelandapeck (u/s)
    3/5 Ms. Pumpkin
    3/5 bushelandapeck

34. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@Ms.Pumpkin: Welcome and congratulations!!

35. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

@Ms.Pumpkin: Congratulations!

@mrskoloa: Not sure exactly what you're asking here. If there are three in there, they will selectively reduce down to two around week 9-12. And if she is carrying twins, I will probably be spending the next eight months trying to keep my husband from having a heart attack.

@Mrs tartan: We have another beta on Monday and then they want to do a third after that as well probably later next week. At that point, they'll schedule the first ultrasound which they will probably do around 6 weeks (we are 4 weeks 1 day today) to hear the heartbeat which is what the fertility clinic needs to confirm the pregnancy and release her to see an ob-gyn or whatever. So we'll probably find out then if they can tell. Part of me really kind of hopes for twins as I seriously think this will be it for us kid-wise and our lifestyle involves moving every couple of years (usually to different countries) which I think could be a very lonely thing for an only child. But then there's another part of me that is completely terrified at the thought of two babies (or worse, two toddlers) at the same time. So I'm trying to be zen about this and be appreciative that it is completely out of my control and whatever happens was what was meant to happen and will work out for the best.

36. Mrs tartan

kiwi / 656 posts

@however briefly: absolutely, I wouldn't worry about anything like that just yet, cross that bridge when you come to it. Just enjoy the excitement of just now. Keep us posted, upload us an u/s if you get a pic, I love looking at them!

37. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@Ms.Pumpkin: Welcome! and Congrats!

@bushelandapeck: Thanks for doing this handy list! However, my screen name is Mrs. Koloa, not koala. Koloa is a town, and koala is an animal. It does look similar though...

@however briefly: You totally understood what I was asking. How does "selective reduction" work? Three people I know are having/have had twin girls. Maybe you/your sister will be the fourth? It's the curse of associating with me, apparently.

Also, don't worry about moving being lonely for an only child. As a military brat, I spent my life moving all over Japan every three years. So long as you move during the school year, loneliness will not be an issue. However, if you move during the summertime, try to get your child involved in activities where he/she/they can meet kids their own age before school starts.

@Mrs tartan: I have all sorts of books already but haven't started reading them. I feel like I don't even want to read books about pregnancy; I'm more concerned about parenting! I need books on that!

38. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@mrskoloa: oops! So sorry about that! I can update it when I'm at my computer next, or feel free to cut and paste t with the correct spelling.

39. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@bushelandapeck: no it's ok! People have made that mistake before

40. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@Ms.Pumpkin: Welcome! I am so glad to see you over here! Your kitty is adorable-- my brother used to have a cat that looked exactly like her except about twice the size.

I am thinking I might pick up a few books over the weekend, any recommendations so far? I have heard good things about the Mayo Clinic's book so I think I might grab that one. Have you gals downloaded any apps? I have an android and I have downloaded a handful, all free except one. The paid one (Pregnancy + I think) is the best but none are great.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee