Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2014 Mothers-To-Be!

1. Ms.Pumpkin

apricot / 435 posts

@Mrs tartan: Clearly, an excellent day to be born!

@Cole: Thanks! She's a bitsy thing, maybe all of 7 pounds?

Many thanks for the great welcome, ladies!

I'm also interested in books and other info, I'd love to hear any recommendations!

2. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

Books that I have and should actually start reading:

The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy
    Your Pregnancy Week by Week
    Your Baby's First Year Week by Week

I watched the Happiest Baby DVD (it was on Netflix) and it was really interesting with the 5 S's and what not.

3. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

I loved the Mayo clinic pregnancy book. I also read Ina Mays guide to childbirth and would highly recommend that if anyone is interested in a med free birth. She also has the best breast feeding book, IMO. Are any of you planning to journal or take weekly belly pics? I did one with my son and also with the last one that ended in miscarriage. I'm nervous to do one this time. I'm thinking I may journal in something other than what I used last time.

4. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

Not planning on reading any pregnancy books but these are the books that I have read or am currently reading that I felt like I got a lot out of so far:
    - Montessori From the Start
    - The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook
    - Your Self-Confident Baby
    - Itsy Bitsy Yoga

5. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@bushelandapeck: I am really looking forward to reading the Ina May books, I skimmed a bunch of pregnancy books when we started TTC (OK, and before too) but I made myself skip those so I had something to look forward to.

I am trying to figure out what I want to do for both journaling and bump photos. I looked through all the journal options and I didn't love any, I hate knowing there is just no way I will fill in the whole thing. I am doing project life so maybe I will incorporate it in there? I sort of want to do weekly pictures in the room that will be the nursery so you can see the changes in both but heaven knows that means I will be taking pictures of a mess most weeks. Maybe I will do a photo in there each month? Silly but I don't like the color of the walls in most of the house with my skin tone so I am trying to figure out where to take them. I might be over thinking this...

6. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@however briefly: Ooh I need to reread Montessori from the start! Thanks for the reminder. Can you tell me more about Itsy Bitsy Yoga? I have read a children's book called that or something similar but I doubt it is the same one .

7. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@Cole: I think that's a really cute idea taking the photos in the room! I did my last ones mostly in our walk-in closet because it is a neutral color. I'd like to be more creative this time, but let's be honest, I'll be lucky to remember to take them most weeks with a toddler running around. Haha.

@however briefly: those sound like great books! I'll have to check them out. I have the baby led weaning one and it's great.

8. wonderstruck

pomegranate / 3791 posts

Hi, ladies! I just got my BFP last night and am sooooo excited to be posting on this thread! =)

EDD: October 15th

When Did You Find Out?: 9DPO (almost 10...I was bad and took the test at night instead of using my FMU.)

Child Number: 2! Our son will be 1 year and 5 months old when this baby is born.

Where You Live: Monroe, Michigan

What kind of provider will you see?: Great question that I'm still deciding the answer to. With my son I was all about having an un-medicated birth with no IV or heplock, birthing tub, midwives, birthing ball, etc. But after 21 hours of labor, of which the last 6 hours or so was incredibly hard labor with unbelievable constant contractions, lead to me only being at 3cm...I was begging for an epidural. Because I'd been laboring so long and hard, the second I got my epi I started making progress incredibly fast, which distressed the baby and his heart rate plummeted, leading to an emergency c-section. Obviously that is NOT an experience I want to repeat. I'm weighing my choices between a vbac with epi or a repeat c-section. If I do go with the vbac I'd like to see the midwives, although I'm not sure - do midwives take patients who know they want an epi? Clearly I need to do some more research...

When's Your First Appointment?: Calling on Monday to schedule it!

What kind of birth do you want?: While I'd prefer un-medicated birth with laboring in the tub and very few restrictions, I know that's not a realistic plan for me based on my last birth.

What You're Most Excited For: Being pregnant at the same time as my SIL! She's due in September =)

What You're Most Scared About: Morning sickness. I threw up every day, sometimes up to five times a day, with my first. I really hope it doesn't go that way this time, especially when I have my son to take care of!

Symptoms so far: Not too much...just some bloating.

Post a picture... any picture! Me with my son =) A few months old, but I this picture! He's Sully, in case you can't tell..haha.

9. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

@Cole: That's the one I'm currently reading now. It basically talks about how classic yoga positions (or approximations of them) can affect babies' digestion and sleep and happiness. It's a lot less New Agey than I had expected and a really interesting read. I think I'm going to incorporate it into after bath massages bonding time. It has different series to choose from according to purpose (sleep, quick-fix mood lifters, bonding, etc) as well as time commitment (ranges from 5 minutes to 45).

10. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

@wonderstruck: Welcome and congrats!

11. Ms.Pumpkin

apricot / 435 posts

@wonderstruck: Welcome! Here's to a happy and healthy 9 months... and what a super cute little monster you've got there!

12. Mrs tartan

kiwi / 656 posts

@wonderstruck: welcome! Your LO is super cute. Lovely pic.

13. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@wonderstruck: So Cute!!!! Welcome!

@however briefly: I forgot that I read that, too. I love the idea of a cribless nursery.

@Cole: I've been journaling using Google's Blogger. I keep it on private, but it's nice because I can add video and photo to it. I need to get on the belly photo train as well. I need to figure out what outfit to wear since I think I should wear the same outfit every time. I might only do monthly photos though, not weekly.

@bushelandapeck: I forgot I read the Ina May book a while back, too. All of the anecdotes in the beginning were super inspiring. Can you add to our list thing with the resources that we've compiled, too?

14. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@mrskoloa: sure! I will try to update the list this weekend, or Monday at the latest.

15. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@mrskoloa: I was just perusing outfit ideas! I didn't come up with anything earth shattering but I am leaning towards a black tshirt dress. I love the cohesiveness of wearing the same thing each time plus I don't have the best style when not pregnant so I really will look better if I just pick one simple thing!

@however briefly: I am going to have to check that one out, it sounds lovely.

@wonderstruck: Congratulations! Your son is adorable! You are only about an hour from me, I am in Grosse Pointe. You will have to let me know if you have found any great resources in the area, I loved visiting Little Seedlings in Ann Arbor a few years ago for a baby gift so if you know of any other great places I am all ears!

16. wonderstruck

pomegranate / 3791 posts

Thanks everyone! Yep, he's a cutie =)

@Cole: Oh awesome, I'm so excited to have someone close to me on here! I love The Little Seedling, we cloth diaper and babywear so I've been there for so much stuff! Where will you be delivering? I had my son at UofM with the midwifes and am deciding if I'm sticking with them or trying someplace different. And I know exactly where Grosse Pointe is, I grew up in Lincoln Park and went to college and worked in Dearborn for several years.

17. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@wonderstruck: I am hoping to deliver at home but if we don't wind up clicking with anyone or if something else comes up we will deliver at Beaumont Grosse Pointe (well assuming we don't need a nicu, fingers crossed).

I am a nanny and love babywearing, it makes life so much easier and it is so cozy! I was just looking up classes and it looks like Little Seedlings has a cloth diaper class and Modern Natural Baby in Ferndale has cloth diaper and baby wearing classes so I am excited to check them out.

18. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

Anyone developing any new/unexpected symptoms?

I am crying a lot more, particularly at commercials. Most particularly at pictures of puppies. Also, my areolas are huge and my inverted nipple is now an extrovert. (My husband used to call them Inny Cooper and Audi, but now they are both Audis.)

19. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@mrskoloa: The crying! I am normally pretty sentimental, especially after I went off hormonal birth control but it is definitely amped up right now. That is hilarious about your nipples, mine are just sensitive, it feels like someone is constantly pinching my chest. My favorite bras have seems in them and I fairly certain someone replaced the seams with barbed wire. Your puppy is adorable!

I just got a packet of info from the ob/midwife practice I am considering if I decide to go the hospital birth route. I just love (enter sarcasm) that the first thing I see is that they offer all sorts of beauty treatments using lasers and other fancy things that I am sure gets them lots of extra money. Why wouldn't I go to a dermatologist's office? I don't want to go for a pap smear and be upsold on juvederm.

20. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@Cole: That's weird. I mean, is your hospital in the 90210? I don't even think they have lasers on Kauai. My nips are sensitive too, particularly the one who decided to see the world. Super uncomfortable because when I wake up first thing in the morning, my stomach is upset so I want to lay on it, but then my breasts are like two bruises being punched.

21. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@mrskoloa: Nope, probably upper middle class neighborhood but still nothing crazy. I used to go to a different practice on the other side of town and she had posters up all over the office about similar things. A place recently opened called New Alternative OB/GYN and my husband suggested I check it out since it seemed like a crunchy name-- nope, her specialty is going back in to make your vag tighter after kids and old age take its toll. So there must be some crazy demand here for these services that my friends just don't tell me about!

22. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@Cole: Jeeze. Although I am slightly interested in vag tightening. Unfortunately, Kauai is so rural we really don't have much. We don't even have any stores here for baby products. The nearest babies r us is an island over. There are two official birth educators on the island because there are only two hospitals here.

23. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@mrskoloa: That sounds like both good news and bad news, being far away means you are less likely to buy tons of random junk because it is cute. Of course when you realize you need X right away you are also sort of up a creek I guess. Stupid question: can you drive to the other island or do you have to take a boat? ETA: Google Earth shows no bridges!

24. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@Cole: hahah! No not stupid. We get questions like this all the time. Oahu (the most populated island [think Honolulu, Pearl Harbor, Waikiki]) is the next island over; it's about 100 miles away. We fly interisland. It's about a 30 minute flight, but each way is about $80 on average. We have one each of the following major stores on island: Walmart, Kmart, Macy's (but it is TINY), Costco, and Home Depot. I think we might get a sports authority this year, and maybe a pier one. I do most of my shopping on Amazon or wait until I fly to Oahu for work. Oahu has everything, like any other normal metropolis.

25. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@mrskoloa: super teary over everything all day long! And I started having some nausea today after I ate lunch. I hope it's not a trend.
    Anyone, or their SO have a gender preference? With LO I was certain I was having a girl and did experience a bit of dissapoinent initially when we found out he was a boy. Now, I can honesty say I will be happy either way. A little brother or sister for him will be just perfect

26. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

@bushelandapeck: My husband has always wanted a boy but that's only because the thought of a teenage girls scares the crap out of him. I have to admit, I kinda have my heart set on a boy as well but I have no idea why. I think I would be equally as happy and excited for a girl but in my dreams, the baby is always a boy for whatever reason!

27. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@bushelandapeck: I thought I was going to have a preference for a girl but I really don't have a preference and I am even feeling like it will be a boy. It would be cheaper to have a girl (well, maybe) because I have bags and bags of girl clothes and shoes up to size 2 so it would be nice to get to use those. I probably have enough gender neutral basics to get us through the first six months of a boy though, we would just have to add the fun stuff which is also fine.

28. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@bushelandapeck: I want a girl but my husband wants a boy. He also wants to keep the gender a surprise until birth, which sounds really hard to do. We made a bet for $10 million on the gender, which I hope I win because I already owe him $44 million. (I am really bad at making bets.)

29. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@mrskoloa: That is adorable and hilarious! I appreciate the primer on Hawaii, embarrassingly my experience with it is limited to Lilo and Stitch.

30. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@Cole: It's not your fault. Our main industry is tourism, and 99.9% of tourists don't even realize that Hawaii is part of the U.S. of A. Other questions I receive that you can't help but laugh at:

What currency do you guys use there? [The US dollar]
    Is there an undersea wire that brings you your electricity from California? [No. We generate our own. However, most of our petroleum and food products are imported here.]
    Do you have movie theaters? [Yes!]
    Where are all the volcanoes? [The only active volcano is on Hawaii island, otherwise known as Big Island.]
    Do you like to eat pineapple? [Pineapple used to be grown here in the plantation days, but most people do not eat pineapple regularly, and definitely not always on pizza. That's something that mainlanders like to do.]
    Do you know how to surf? [I dabble a bit, but I prefer tanning with a good book.]
    But if you're from Hawaii, doesn't that make you Hawaiian? [No. Ethnically I am Filipino and White. Hawaiians are an actual ethnic group, so when people call us Hawaiians, it can be considered offensive to the actual ethnic group known as Hawaiian.]
    Do I need a passport? [Nope. Unless you're stopping here on your way to Asia.]

Sometimes they start sentences with: Oh, well in America, we __________. And I literally have to stop them and say, "You are still in America."

31. wonderstruck

pomegranate / 3791 posts

@mrskoloa: OMG. I am so sorry. How do people who are that ignorant have jobs that pay enough to afford trips to Hawaii??

32. wonderstruck

pomegranate / 3791 posts

@bushelandapeck: I feel the same exact way as you! I feel absolutely terrible admitting this and it weighed really heavily on me until my son was born, but after our ultrasound where they told us he was a boy, I cried the whole way home. I was so ashamed of myself - I didn't even realize that I felt strongly about it until that moment. I just had a great relationship with my mom growing up, and I felt like I wanted a daughter to have that with.

But this time I really don't care, especially since it did take 5 months to get pregnant (it literally happened on the first try with our son,) I'm just ecstatic to be pregnant! For some reason I feel like we'll end up with another boy - I think I feel that way partially just because now I know what little boys are like and they're so much fun, plus it's what I'm used to, and partially because I don't want to deal with disappointment again so I'm just going to assume my son is getting a little brother (which would still be a great thing!,) and it will be a happy surprise if I'm wrong.

33. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@wonderstruck: I don't know! Apparently worldliness and money are not always in sync. It's ok. Without tourists we would be destitute as a state so I guess I can deal.

I want a daughter for a weird reason I think. My inlaws already have a grandson (my husband's stepmom's daughter's son) and I think that the only way our kid would get any attention from them is if we had a little girl. Otherwise I'd have to hope that my parents move back home in order for our child to have any relationship with grandparents.

34. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@wonderstruck: I'm telling myself boy this time too! I think it would be so fun for my son to have a younger brother to play with. I would selfishly like a girl because of how close I am with my mom but I intend on trying to be that close with my son, so hopefully that won't matter at all anyway.

@mrskoloa: that's too bad about your inlaws. Do you live nearby to them? Where do your parents live now? We are about 1.5hrs away from our families so we've had very little help with our son. Luckily, we have a great group of friends and babysitters who have helped a ton.

35. Mrs tartan

kiwi / 656 posts

Have you girls told anyone yet apart from DH? Any new symptoms?
    I am really struggling with lower back pain for past 2 days, I can't imagine how sore I'll be with a big bump! Still no sore boobs, which is disappointing as I'm so desperate for them to grow
    Also this insomnia is driving me crazy, as if I am not tired enough. Zzzzzzzz...

36. Mrs. Jump Rope

blogger / coconut / 8306 posts

Oh my gosh October already?!

Congratulations from an October 2011 mama!

37. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@Mrs tartan: I think we are going to tell good friends of ours today, they know we have been trying, they are due in a few weeks and I would tell her anyway if I lost the pregnancy. We were out last night with friends and my husband in particular was bursting, I impressed he held it together. We were having a little get together for those friends and I am glad I don't normally drink because people just kept ordering rounds of drinks and shots. As it was I thought peeing 6 times in 5 hours was going to tip someone off.

I think my chiro is going to be my best friend, our insurance doesn't cover it so I will have to be reasonable but I know it will help.

38. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@Mrs. Jump Rope: Thank you! I can hardly believe it myself!

39. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@Mrs tartan: we won't be telling anyone until after out first appointment in a few weeks at least, due to my previous loss. We will probably wait until we hear the heartbeat on a Doppler just to be safe. I would love to tell our families but would not want to have to tell them if something happened to the pregnancy so I think it's best to wait.

Insomnia has been hitting hard over here too. And I am super super irritable today. It has been so hard to be patient with LO and DH today and it's only 9am! Ugh.

40. Ms.Pumpkin

apricot / 435 posts

@bushelandapeck: No super strong gender preferences here, although in my heart, I would love to have a little girl-like lots of you all here, it's just that I've had such strong relationships with the women in my family. Although my relationship with my Mom isn't without frustrations though, so maybe I should watch what I wish for! (they're not really big frustrations, though I'd love it if we could not constantly comment on the state of my hair!)

@Mrs tartan: We've told our next door neighbor and friend, because she's one of the only people I know who's actually been pregnant, and it was really nice to get her perspective!

We're going to tell each of our sisters, because I'm so close with mine, and the Mr's sister is a doctor, and we're hoping to get her input on some pregnancy-related stuff.

Here's a question for the group: When I made a prenatal appt with my new ob's office (I've never been to them before), I asked them if the antibiotic that my urologist had prescribed was safe during pregnancy. They said that since I hadn't been a patient of theirs, the receptionist said they weren't able to offer any medical advice, and that I should go to my primary care provider!

While I understand the liability issues surrounding giving medical advice to someone you've never seen (we've got lots of doctors in the family, after all), I was a bit annoyed. I've never been pregnant before, and I just want to know what's safe! Is this something that I should consider trying to find another office over? Or should I wait until my first appointment to make a judgement?

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee