Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2018 moms

1. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

How is everyone doing with nursery prep? I’ve felt determined to not neglect this second pregnancy so I’m actually in a good place. It’s painted and I have all the furniture and rug. Just need to buy a twin bed for DD so I can turn her toddler bed back into a crib. I have a lot of the little decor stuff too. I just need to purchases the sheets, blankets, curtains I’ve picked out and install some picture ledge bookshelves. Yay!

2. Kmomartin

grape / 87 posts

We registered today- how OVERWHELMING?! Also do you just blindly pick types of things like diapers, wipes, baby shampoo, etc. without thinking twice? Every mom seems to have a favorite and every mom friend I’ve asked has different answers for each question- haha. Pampers, Honest co, target brand, “whatever is cheapest”- I need more clear cut answers here, mommas!!!

3. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@Kmomartin: yup! You try one brand or another and depending on your kid, your wallet, and your values you might try different brands. We pretty much used whatever soap didn’t give our kid a rash and stuck with it. I do overthink it but once you have a baby you have less time to overthink things and you just grab whatever and call it a day.

4. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@buttermilk: we are doing okay! Dresser is painted and I’ve been putting stuff away in it as I unpack/go through things. Crib is set up and I still need some decor stuff. We do have all our other art in the room that we haven’t found space for, so that’s frustrating and needs to be cleared out.

5. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

some of my bigger nesting to-do stuff isn't baby related, but some is:
    -Repaint chalkboard wall (totally unrelated but driving me nuts)
    -Clean out/organize bonus room (its connected to our 1st floor master, so the baby will eventually move there before she moves all the way upstairs)
    -Put together second crib
    -Sew mattress and cover for bassinet (we are using a basinet for daytime/safe place to put babe, but it needs a new mattress and I"m not buying a crazy expensive custom one, and am weird about foam)
    -order (and install car seat)
    -put together new crib
    -order new mattress/cover
    -sew quilt
    -order registry stuff (we made one for the discount, mostly just little things we need to re-buy/get more of)
    -figure out labor plan for older kids (I think my mom will just have to be on call, but I feel bad because she is a teacher so it could be hard for her to leave midday/with little notice)

6. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

@buttermilk: The nursery hasn’t even been started yet. Working on combining my oldest two kids bedrooms so I can turn the oldests prior room into the nursery. Then I can move my current youngest in there in a toddler bed and set up the whole nursery setting. I am quite excited that I got wall wire baskets to display my cloth diapers in. just working on the house by myself while SO works 12 hour shifts and I have 3 kids needing me has made it quite difficult

7. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

I just ordered a bunch of this fabric from eBay and Etsy because I couldn’t resist it. It’s not super baby-ish but we bike commute and I love it. (I may have been engaging in a bit of Supreme Court induced retail therapy...). http://liveartgalleryfabrics.com/cleta/

Anyone else making a quilt? I think my MIL will do this one and I’m going to do a different one with some fabric I already have.

8. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: I love that fabric! I'm making a really simple one with a charm pack from Cotton + Steel and some Kona solids
    https://www.cottonandsteelfabrics.com/all-collections/firelight/

9. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@Silva: those are so cute! I also ordered some cute hedgehog/woodland fabric to use in the nursery. https://www.fabric.com/buy/0366112/riley-blake-wildflower-meadow-main-multi I need to make new teething rails and surely something else that requires it. It’s a little girly for being team Green, but with my first I erred on the side of boy/neutral and had a girl and also I love it and the baby won’t actually care.

10. YogiRunner

clementine / 849 posts

I have done almost nothing for this baby yet! Nursery isn’t even close to ready, no plan for what to do with my toddler during delivery... and I’m due in early October. Maybe I need to get going

11. yogifish

cherry / 128 posts

@YogiRunner: ditto. But now that we know we are having a second boy I all set for clothes. the only thing I need to get is a baby swing because my hubby blew the motor on the first one by putting the too heavy baby in it haha.

We are working on potty train the 2.5 year old, but he is still sleeping with us in our bed so I should probably figure that one out. Baby will go in the mini crib beside the bed, but I always lay down (and fall asleep) with the toddler so not sure how well that's going to work with a newborn who I'm sure will want to nurse. I know I should deal with it now because I will be so tired once baby comes, but I am so tired now haha.

12. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

I just ordered my daughter’s “big girl bed” so I can turn her toddler bed back into the crib next weekend, yay! The nursery is pretty much ready to go except for curtains, some bookshelf ledges, and some artwork.

13. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@buttermilk: yay! We had a relatively smooth transition to a twin bed, hope it’s the same for you.

I’m going to visit my inlaws for a week and they have a pool and I can’t wait.

14. anbanan15

grapefruit / 4681 posts

@YogiRunner: @yogifish: Same here! My brother is supposed to be making us a bunk bed similar to this one, but I haven't checked in with him on it lately. We need that completed so we can move the boys together before setting up the other room for the girls. Eventually we plan on adding a second story to the house so everyone can have their own room, but for now this has to work.

I'm tired. Currently get no sleep because my husband is on a split shift and I work nights. We don't do daycare, so it's me and the kids all day running errands. I have an OB appointment on 7/3 and secretly hoping they put me on bedrest for some unknown reason.

15. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@anbanan15: I can’t imagine how tired you are! Maybe put yourself on some kind of bed rest?

16. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

I am in so much pain. I’m having pelvic girdle pain, painful swelling, and horrific lower back pain likely caused by trying to ride my bike to work today. Anyone have any remedies for back pain? I have a chiropractor appointment tomorrow morning that I’m going to try to move to today. Also the internet when I google anything is like “maybe you shouldn’t have gained so much weight.” Shut up, Internet.

17. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: do you have a support belt? If I'm on my feet all day doing housework, or going for a walk or mowing the lawn or something it can be really helpful to wear one.

18. yogifish

cherry / 128 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: I had this last time, pelvic symphosis something or other with my first pregnancy and again this time starting around 9-10weeks.

I've been doing regular massage and physio which helps a little bit. Really though it's been management, and I've had to cut way back on walking, no stairs, and in the pool no more breaststroke kick and wearing fins to do flutter kick has helped somewhat. But if I overdo it, I just end up in pain.

ETA the other thing I've tried that seems to help a bit is using a knee pillow at night to sleep on my side.

Also sympathy for all the swollen feet and legs stuff...I have that as well, due to a heart condition that just can't keep up with all the extra fluid volume during pregnancy and yeah it sucks.

19. Mrsbells

squash / 13199 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: the internet is the worst sometimes. In addition to seeing a chiropractor DH had booked us a couples massage and mine was a prenatal. It was so relaxing and eased a lot of back pain. Its only temporary relief but worth it

20. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

Went to the chiropractor, which helped, but then I was in pain again by the end of the night.

I did order myself a memory foam donut pillow from Amazon and I think it will help with the pubic pain.

21. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

Third trimester appt this morning. Midwife said she thinks it’s a boy because it sounds like a washing machine not a horse? Got my TDAP shot, yay for herd immunity.

22. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: ha- sounds like a super scientific way to predict the sex of the baby

23. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

I got the glucose lab work today. Last monthly appointment next month. Then it will be every 2 weeks. We are getting soooooo close! On another note SO finally proposed to me on July 11th after being together for 6.5 years and conceiving our 4th child. Lol.

24. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@littleblessings: Congratulations! (If you said yes. If you said no, rock on, you are a grown ass lady and you do what you want.)

I did the 3 hour glucose test today. I asked to skip the one hour, since I was pretty sure I would fail it and didn't want to waste my time with it. I'm now sitting at home refreshing MyPortfolio to see whether I got results yet. It was a super unpleasant experience - I remember it sucking but I had forgotten how much. Fingers crossed for the all clear! I found a study that said that you are less likely to have recurrent GD if you weighed under 190 lbs when you got pregnant, which I was, and your first baby was less than 8lbs 8 oz, which mine was.

But not being able to drink water for 3 hours this morning has set me seriously behind on my hydration goals and I'm now trying to hydrate enough so the braxton hicks contractions stop.

Also, I caved and bought myself some summer weight maternity pants because my feet are so swollen I think I'm going to be living in compression stockings the rest of the summer, and I at least wanted to have some pants to wear with them so I didn't look too silly. But I feel so ridiculous buying pants that I'm only going to wear for another 13 weeks. But I'm not going to spend the rest of the summer miserable when I could just spend $20 on pants.

25. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@littleblessings: Also, my midwife said that I move to twice monthly appointments this month (I'm 27 weeks) and I feel like that is early.

26. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: I said yes. Lol. We don’t go to the twice a month appointments until 30 weeks. I’m 26 weeks

27. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@littleblessings: congratulations!!

I think I go to every other week appointments at 32 weeks. I have the GD test on the 30th, when I am 28w. Then I think I have one more monthly. I hope. I'm not looking forward to the appointments becoming more frequent, honestly. Although I guess it will mean I'm almost done!

We have a lot going on that is making it easy for me to be distracted and not get any baby stuff done. We are homeschooling my daughter for kindergarten starting this fall, and I'm trying to sort out her schedule (she's going to take a couple arts classes at the public school to help her transition into first grade the following year)/ our plans for that. And we are putting in an offer on 21.5 acres in a day or two, with the intention to build in about 3 1/2 years.

28. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

Well, I failed my 3-hr glucose test super miserably. Like, fasting is 103, 1 hr was 207, 2 hr was 200, and 3 hr was 143, which is the only one that is even close. I'm annoyed the lab didn't do a fasting level fingerprick and send me home with a diagnosis when my level was above 95, but whatever. I guess I should go get some batteries for my glucometer and find my stabby thing.

29. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: I'm sorry I imagine thats probably pretty discouraging.

30. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

Anyone picked a take home outfit yet? Since this is my third we don’t need any clothes but is kind of like to get a special outfit. This is my first cold weather baby so I’m actually wondering if she will need to have a fleece bunting over whatever she wears anyway?

31. YogiRunner

clementine / 849 posts

@Silva: that is amazing that you’ll hopefully own so much land! I took LO to an event at a goat farm near my parents’ the other week and the entire property and history of how they built their operation over the years was just incredible. Did not help my desire to drop everything and move up there! And so impressed with your kindergarten home schooling decision too. Hope to hear more about that in the future!

@Ms.Mermaid: ugh sorry to hear that. Does not sound fun. What’s your next step?

I have no going home outfit (or any new outfit, he’s using his big brothers stuff for the most part and it’s all mostly still in the attic...) I’m with you that I’d like it to be special since everything else is a hand me down. I’m looking at Hanna Anderson or Janie and Jack, probably just longsleeve onesie/pj’s, hat, and a blanket for the car seat? I’m due early Oct which could mean freezing or sweltering (hi New England)

32. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@YogiRunner: honestly, I still feel pretty mixed about the decision to keep her home this year, but we're going for it. If it doesn't work, nothing is permanent. She'll do a couple afternoons at the public school for art and music, and we're planning to spend one day a week in the forest with a close friend who is planning to homeschool all the way through. It will just give her an extra year of play. I'm not quite ready to pop the early childhood bubble, I guess. I think public school is a vital institution and want to support it and work to make it better and plan to send my kids there....but I guess I"m taking advantage of my privilege and giving her this extra year just because I can. I know she'd be fine if we sent her, but I'm hoping this year will help her be really ready, as opposed to "fine."
    My son is an August birthday, so we're just going to redshirt him so he gets that extra year, too. Probably will do an extra year of preschool, but maybe just keep him home- depends on the type of kid he is.
    This baby has a nice October birthday, which will make her one of the oldest in her class (Sept. 1 cutoff), so we may keep her on the regular track (again, depends on the kid).

33. Silva

cantaloupe / 6017 posts

@YogiRunner: oh, and going home. I know- if she comes on time its October 20th and that will be cool/cold. But any earlier and it could be a mixed bag, still.
    I looked through stuff and I did pick up a sweet little petite bateau onesie thats 60% wool/40% cotton so its very cozy, might just get some pants to go with that and have a back up. Its odd knowing the sex of the baby- I have some weird feelings about already picking out a pink onesie! Let the gendering begin early! (hi, I overthink!)

more fall stuff will come out soon, so I think I'll just try to be patient and watch my favorite stores!

34. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@Silva: our first was born 10/29 and overheated in fleece and screamed the whole time. I recommend a cotton or terry footed sleeper and bringing a fleece blanket to tuck around in the car seat. I bought nb sleeper but I might get a 3m one as well in case this baby is 10lbs.

35. littleblessings

pear / 1739 posts

Just got the results from my glucose test. Thankfully I passed. This next month is a super busy one for me. We have our wedding, a few birthdays including our oldest, two Ob appointments, dentist and Dr. Then the oldest starts school late August.

I feel like a chicken with its head cut off

36. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Silva: I just picked out a going home outfit today from Zara! It’s pretty much the only clothes I’ve bought so far. We had so much free stuff given to us for DD, I’m feeling a little overwhelmed about how many clothes I’m gonna need to buy for this little guy. Will probably keep it super basic with some bodysuit sets and comfy pants through 3 months.

How’s everyone doing? End of October still seems so far away to me but I’m sure it will fly by.

37. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

@buttermilk: awwwww. Do you have a local buy sell group you can join? I’ve had good luck getting stuff from our local Facebook group and I’m assuming this baby will be like 10lbs so I haven’t gotten much nb stuff. But I bought a few lots of used footed sleepers.

I am struggling. I can’t conttol my fasting numbers and am likely going to need medication. I can’t exercise bc I’m experiencing symphasis pubis disorder so can only swim and I’m spending all my time at doctors so I’m working remotely at night to make up work hours. I’m seeing an OB today (I have been with midwives but they bump you if you’re high risk) and hopefully that will help me feel better about what’s going to happen.

38. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Ms.Mermaid: sorry lady, that sounds rough!

Good idea, I’ll ask around on my FB groups.

39. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

I met with the OB yesterday who said with medication control I’m looking at induction around 38/39 weeks and with diet control, 39-40 and they would only induce at 37 if I’m wildly out of control. That was encouraging. They haven’t started me on meds yet but I’m so out of control fright now I think I’ll start Friday.

40. Ms.Mermaid

kiwi / 745 posts

Is anyone using anything for stretch marks? I’ve been using bio oil and boppy stretch mark cream but the past week I’m seeing more and more angry red stretch marks and I just...can there be one symptom I don’t get?!?!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee