Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: I gave in and swaddled L in hopes of getting a swing nap. I normally don't swaddle during the day, but I seem to have hurt my back, and trying to hold a squalling, squirming baby who's fighting sleep like her life depends on it just isn't working today.

2. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@MrsADS: That sounds so scary!! I'm glad wearing him helped. Someone should seriously invent a baby carrier/pump so you can do both at once.

@buttermilk: Can you do a weighed feed? (I forget if you have a scale). That sounds exactly like what C was doing when I found out she was only getting an ounce in a half hour. She was tired from nursing and kept falling asleep while doing so but would scream if she woke up.

3. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@Torchwood I swaddle for naps. M goes crazy kicking his legs and flailing his arms and I find that if he's not swaddled, he wakes himself up. I think he sleeps longer when he's swaddled. Although he has to be pretty sleepy to even get him in the swaddle... otherwise he screams bloody murder and we can forget getting him to sleep.

@Ms. RV well, wearing him helped for about 20 mins. Then it was back to the normal screaming!

4. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

I'm so not SAHM material but daycare isn't much easier. I missed a call from daycare earlier. C was inconsolable and they wanted to know if it was okay to feed her early. I didn't get the call until an hour later. On the voicemail I could hear C freaking out in the background. That was so heartbreaking. I really hope they didn't wait until I called back to feed her, or they called OH. Total mommy fail on my part.

I start back at work tomorrow. I'll hopefully be so busy that time will fly and it'll be 3:30 before I know it.

5. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@MrsADS: Do you wear earplugs or earmuffs? You can still hear the crying 100% but for me it seems to take the shrillness out of it. When I'm exhausted and C won't stop crying I put on ear protection ear muffs and it seems much more manageable.

6. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@Ms. RV that's a good idea. I have been listening to podcasts/music on my ipod, which is hard to hear when the screaming is REALLY bad, but it at least gives me something else to focus on.

7. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Ms. RV: I don't have one and have thought about it many times but I already think about nursing & weight gain 24/7 and I can't decide if it would make me even more crazy. She had such a good weigh in last week that I thought I didn't need it but maybe I do just to know for sure. I have been assuming her behavior is just extra fussy/clinginess but idk - maybe it rly is my stupid boobs.

8. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@MrsADS: She definitely sleeps better swaddled. I just prefer not to for naps. It's not good for her hips to be swaddled too much of the time (and she sleeps a LOT), and I'm hoping it'll help keep her from getting her days and nights flipped. She also won't sleep anywhere but in my arms 9 times out of 10 either way, so it doesn't make a huge difference.

9. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

anyone have one of those huge ass baby swings? i never got one, but do they love them? will i get some relief? does it make them STFU?

10. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@buttermilk: We have this one. Fisher-Price Snugabunny Cradle 'N Swing (With Smart Swing Technology) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVNEGLW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_bsZawbXAF7QZR I can't make any promises about it working. Some babies love them, some don't. So far LO is okay with it for short times awake, and will nap about 30 minutes in it swaddled if I put her down asleep. We just got it last week though, so I'm hoping she'll get used to it and like it more.

11. abmamma

kiwi / 641 posts

@buttermilk: we borrowed one from a friend with DD and she loved it! She took almost every nap in it for the first 2-3 months. And the motion often knocked her out/calmed her down if she was fussy/overtired. But they are so big and our house is on the smaller side (and more crowded now with two kids and all their stuff) so this time we are trying a rock n play instead - smaller and a bit more portable.

12. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@buttermilk: If nothing else, it would let you know that she is satiated and just clingy. And regarding the swing... can you take her to a baby store while she's fussy and try it out?

13. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@buttermilk we borrowed someone's swing to see if M would like it. A big fat no! Depends on the baby I guess.

14. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: we also have the snugabunny, and it is a life saver! P loves to stare at herself in the mirror, watch the birds, and be rocked. Sometimes it doesn't work, but most days I can get her to either nap or have awake quiet baby time in the swing for 4-5 hours, in 1-2 hour chunks. Again, not every day, but most days!

15. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Ok I ordered the swing. It should be here tomw. 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏 please God.

16. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

Does anyone else miss out on sleep because they don't trust that the baby is really out? Like you see they're asleep, but you're so afraid they'll wake up in 2 minutes that you stay up to be sure and by the time you decide they really are down you realize you've missed half an hour of potential sleep.

17. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

Also, is it really that hard for DH to realize that as long as I'm doing 100% of the motn parenting, sex is just not going to be on my radar? I'm too damn tired!

18. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@torchwood ugh yes all the time. It's so frustrating. About losing sleep that is... I am still feeling like I'll probably never have sex again with the mangled mess down there!

19. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@buttermilk fingers crossed the swing works for you!!!

You guys, I *think* the elimination diet is helping M's reflux and GI issues. It seems like there is definitely some improvement. Last night after his 10:30pm and 1:45am feeds, he only spit up twice and then went to sleep - no screaming (well, only a few minutes)! I can't believe it. Of course it might just be a fluke... we'll see. PLEASE pray that this is it and will help him feel better. The bad news is I have probably 350-400 oz (or more) of breastmilk in our deep freezer from before I started the diet that I will probably have to get rid of. I'm going to look into seeing if I could donate to a milk bank or something.

20. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@MrsADS: Yay!! I really hope it's working!! You guys so deserve a break!

@buttermilk: Hope the swing helps! We have the same one (just a different design) at my parents' house and both of my boys would/will swing in it.

@Torchwood: Haha DH is the same way. I'm just so not interested right now lol. It took us a loooong time to DTD after LO1 was born (like 4 months), so I'm hoping it's not that long, but man.

21. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@MrsADS: sounds promising! I'm at 15 days on the diet, and I think P's poop is back to normal! Good luck! Also, with that much milk, I'd donate it. Or at least some. You will rebuild a stash so quickly!

@Torchwood: DH and I want to have sex, but weeknights it just isn't going to happen. Hopefully this weekend when P is asleep in the swing we can sneak away for a bit more uses for the swing!

@buttermilk: can't wait to hear how it goes!

22. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@MrsADS: that's so great to hear!! I hope it's the diet you definitely deserve a break after all that you've been through!

@buttermilk: I hope the swing works for you. M will sit in his for 20 min max before wanting out but I know some babies love them!

@Torchwood: yea I told my husband yesterday that I plan to have sex with him every day but by the time bedtime rolls around I'm way too tired! Sorry.

In other news...anyone want a baby who is super cute but only sleeps for 2 hrs at a time??? I'm exhausted!!

23. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

my brother came over and is watching the baby for a minute. I popped some Tylenol 3 and walked to a coffee shop and am sitting down with an iced coffee and no crying baby. 😍

24. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@buttermilk: that sounds amazing!!! I miss alone time

25. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@Portboston OMG he's so cute. But totally feel you on the no sleep. I'm so tired.

@buttermilk atta girl. That sounds awesome. I really want a big glass of wine but (1) afraid it will mess up M's GI system and (2) I am so tired I wouldn't be able to get up in the middle of the night with the baby... someday!

26. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@MrsADS: thanks! I tell him all the time that he's lucky he's cute otherwise I would have dropped him off at the fire station by now!
    I know what you mean about the wine...I'm scared to eat anything now for fear of making the reflux worse we just got back from the dr and he called in Prevacid but wants us to wait one more week to see if the Zantac kicks in (ummm it's been a month already!!)....let's see if I last.

27. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@MrsADS: @Portboston: I'll have a glass of wine for both of you!

Pumping at work is just not working. I've been pumping for twenty minutes and barely have a teaspoon total. Looks like I'm going to throw in the towel. Maybe I'll try one more week. It is nice to hide for a while at work.

28. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@Ms. RV: wow that's totally not worth it. I don't blame you for throwing in the towel! Enjoy that big glass of wine!!

29. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

I went to my PP checkup this morning. I apparently had a vaginal adhesion So my OB pulled out this whole surgical tray and cut it and cauterized it... (I was like, we are doing this here? now?!) Thankfully she put some lidocaine on it first. The actual cutting didn't hurt but OMG it hurts right now! It feels like my vag is on fire.

30. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@MrsADS: ugh! That just sucks!

As for me, I woke up to AF! 8 weeks pp, only 46 weeks since the last one. Less than a year. Ugh.

31. Ms. RV

pear / 1930 posts

@MrsADS: Ouch!!!

@Mrs. Microscope: Ugh. That stinks.

32. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: Oh no!! I thought I may have been getting my period back a week or so ago because I had finally stopped pp bleeding for a few days and then it started up again. But it looks like it was just the last bit of that instead of AF. I was about to get super pissed because I went 11 months without it last time!

@MrsADS: Ouch!!! See, that's what I mean about neither vaginal not c-section being "easy." Yes, I was cut open and had major surgery, but 7 weeks pp, I don't have any issues. They each have their own pros and cons. Hope you get some relief soon and everything heals up nicely!

33. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Ms. RV: Good for you for doing what's best for your sanity! But I agree, the alone time at work was nice.

34. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

My BFF is having her baby today and I'm so freaking excited!!!!!

That is all.

35. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Ramona acting much less insane today, dare I say...happy? And we haven't even gotten the swing delivered yet! Fingers crossed my angel baby is making a reappearance!

36. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@lilteacherbee: yay!

@MrsADS: ouch! also what does that even mean!?

@Ms. RV: sorry mama! I have a feeling I'll be in the same boat when I return to work. I just don't respond well to the pump at all! Are you trying to do work while pumping? I have to completely relax to get anything at all.

@Mrs. Microscope: AF already!? Fuuuuuck!

Wknd plans everyone? We live in Philly and the pope is visiting so I'm sure we will just hole up in the house and stay away from the insanity.

37. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@Mrs. Microscope aw man that sucks. I would be soooo bummed to get AF back already.

@buttermilk fingers crossed R is doing better!! Basically the adhesion is where 2 pieces of skin/tissue on either side of my vag somehow got stuck together and then became like a solid piece of tissue (like a band going over the lower part of my vag). SUPER GROSS. Apparently it's pretty uncommon but can happen after more "traumatic" births (episiotomies, big tears). My OB offered to let me see with a mirror, I declined. LOL. But, if you don't get it cut and then cauterized it can obviously make stuff like sex, using tampons, etc. difficult or impossible down the line. Not that I think I will be doing either of those anytime soon!

Why won't my baby go to sleeeeep. M you have to nap!

38. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

Can we talk post partum bleeding for a minute? With my first c-section I feel like I stopped bleeding at four weeks and then got my period at 10 months Pp.
    This time most of my "heavy" bleeding was gone by 4 weeks. Then some spotting and some dishcharge that was similar to really heavy fertile cervical fluid. Since then I've had random days of bleeding. Bright red, seems like period blood. I had some around 5 weeks and now at 7 weeks it's back and there is more. Is this my freaking period?!

39. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@OhCaptain: my bleeding and spotting stopped at 3 weeks. So at 8 weeks, I know it's my period. It sounds like you are still just having pp bleeding... A true period should have a break of more than 2 weeks. Hang in there!

@MrsADS: sleep baby! Sounds like you still have it really rough. so many hugs!

@lilteacherbee: yay for BFF babies! My bffs youngest is 17 mos. Can't wait for our kiddos to be able to play!

@buttermilk: Hope the swing.works and angel baby is back

@Portboston: I sure hope you figure out the prevacid / zantac issue! At least you have a super cute little dude!

@Ms. RV: if it's time to stop, it's time. You need to do what makes sense, and it seems like you've made the right decision. Hugs!

Here in Denver it's Great American Beer Festival! We have tickets for tomorrow afternoon. P is coming along in the Ergo, and it should be a ton of fun!

40. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@MrsADS: holy hell that sounds awful! And I feel you on the no naps. I'm currently doing laps around my block 😒

@Mrs. Microscope: noooo...that could be why your pumping output is low

@lilteacherbee: yay! Congrats! I love having friends who have babies right now. It's so fun!

@buttermilk: I hope your angel baby is back too! Fingers crossed!!! No big weekend plans here. My mom comes back into town Monday so I'll probably do a little cleaning and forcing hubs to watch M 😁

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee