Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@buttermilk: here's my advice: watch for sleepy cues, and even if she's only awake and not eating/being burped/changed for 15 minutes, then so be it. Soon she will be awake longer and longer. With my first as soon as I figured out his sleep/wake cycles it would change! Also, I've found with both my kids their shortest awake period is the first and the longest is the last.
    Keep in mind R hasn't read the baby books. I also nurse to sleep if it seems like other things (pacifier, rocking etc) isnt working.

2. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@MrsADS: hooray!

3. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@MrsADS: Glad you were able to get out of the house a bit! I know that does wonders for my sanity!

@Torchwood: Precious!

4. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

C rolled belly to back today! I don't remember it being this early with LO1 (8 weeks old today), but I'll have to check his baby book. Maybe second babies really do things earlier in order to keep up with the older one (that scares me! )

5. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@lilteacherbee: that's exciting! We are working on baby smiles over here

6. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@buttermilk ooh jealous! M is 5 weeks and I know that's a little early but I keep wondering when it will happen. Probably never bc he is so cranky and overtired and unhappy! LOL.

I think someone posted a wk or two ago about this, but what is everyone doing for PP birth control? I am going back to the OB next Fri and I know we will talk about it then. I don't know what to do! I don't really want an IUD (they kinda freak me out), I don't really want the mini pill or to go back on hormone BC because we had infertility and I am worried if we want to have #2 down the road it will make things even more messed up for me. But I don't really want to have to use condoms for forever, and I definitely don't want to chance an oops baby anytime soon... ahhh. Maybe the mini pill? IDK.

Oh yea one more thing - I started having some red bleeding and cramping during the night last night - wtf?! I guess it is still PP bleeding?

7. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: the smiles are amazing but they are very much still random and i don't really know how to make one happen! idk about BC either. i already had my checkup and they didn't bring it up and i totally forgot to ask!! same tho, i don't really want an IUD or any hormonal BC. I think we will probably just use NFP and condoms when necessary.

You guys, the swing finally came and well....IT'S MAGIC! She fell asleep in like 10 mins, no fussing, and I just finished plucking my eyebrows!!!!!!

8. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@buttermilk what kind of swing? M didn't like the one we borrowed from a friend but it didn't seem to swing very fast. I feel like I spend all day and all night rocking and bouncing him to sleep... and he likes super crazy fast rocking. And he's getting sooo heavy, my arms and back and legs are hurting. My husband calls him little meatball because he's getting to be such a chunk.

9. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

I got this one...
    http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Moonlight-Meadow-Deluxe-Cradle/dp/B00NFETJLY

Diapers.com had a sale last week and i got it for $100

It goes pretty fast!

10. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@buttermilk ok, that's not too expensive. I think M in theory would like the swing if it went fast enough because the only way we can get him to sleep is the super vigorous rocking-bouncing routine. I need a really fast swing though! Maybe I will start a thread to see if anyone has recommendations.

11. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@buttermilk: @MrsADS: C started smiling AT us at 7 weeks and I love it!!

We're just doing pull and pray. I was on hormonal BC a before TTC #1 and I didn't realize how much better I feel when I'm not taking it, so I really don't want to go back on it. We want a third at some point and AF didn't come back last time until 11 months pp, so I'm hoping for the same this time.

12. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@MrsADS: We have this one
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AO083KU?vs=1

There are 6 speed settings and the last one is FAST! LO1 pressed that button the other day and I looked over and poor Carter was swinging like crazy lol

13. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: I wish I could post a video for you of the fastest speed. Maybe there is one on YouTube tho?

14. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@MrsADS: I think we will just use condoms/pull and pray until my husband gets a vasectomy.
    I had always said that if my VBAC didn't work out i would have a tubal during my RCS, it was in my paperwork and everything. But when it came to that, I just didnt want to. I can't explain it, it wasn't the finality of it, I just didn't want more surgery, even though I was already having surgery. We are pretty sure we are done, but I don't really want an IUD and I don't like hormonal Bc

15. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

My baby has been awake since 10 am and will not sleep and he's sooo cranky. I am about to jump out of my skin from the crying. I cannot do any more rocking or bouncing. I am about to lose it. AAAAAGGGHHHH

16. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@MrsADS: hugs! P will not sleep unless being held the last 2 days... Made for a fun night last night I am pretty sure it's due to the 8-9 week wonder week. Hang in there!

Despite not much sleep last night, we went to the aquarium today with our cousins who are in town. P actually watched fish, and she liked the otters! She wanted to be held most of the time, but she was calm, so I'll take it! Now we are.at home, and she is napping my arms with boppy assist. Ready for her to like swing naps again!

17. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@Mrs. Microscope he won't sleep when I hold him either. He's been awake for 6 and a half hours and he's just hysterical from being overtired. I don't know what to do at this point.

18. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

The smiles are amazing! Lo started smiling around 5 weeks. Her big sister is guaranteed to get smiles, dh and I have to work at them though

I got the mini pill but I haven't started it yet. Think we'll just use condoms for a while at least. I don't think I can trust myself to take a pill at the same time every day plus I don't really want anything hormonal anyways. I had the depo shot after having lo1 and I had a horrible time coming off of it so not going back to that! Plus I didn't like the mirena that I had prior to kids so think we're left to condoms - sorry dh!

19. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@MrsADS: this one shows the fastes t speed at the end of the video.

20. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@MrsStar yea I have heard so many people who don't really like Mirena so I don't think I want to get one! I would probably prefer just condoms/NFP (can you even do that while BF?), but I am nervous about an oops. We want #2 at some point, but M is such a difficult baby that if I get pregnant anytime soon... ugh, don't want to think about it.

21. Torchwood

pomelo / 5607 posts

@MrsADS: We're using pull out until DH gets snipped. It worked perfectly for us for 8 years, so I trust it. Though right now we're using abstinence, because I am so not interested.

@buttermilk: L just started doing responsive smiles instead of just reflexive. She sometimes smiles when she sees me or DH, and if she's in a good mood tickling her upper lip gets a big grin.

Omg. I know L is easier than what some of ya'll are dealing with, but she's wearing me out today. She hasn't napped for more than 20 minutes. Cried for a half hour straight (which she never, ever does), and just now finally passed out. I texted my cousin that I'm just never moving again. If I need to use the bathroom I'm peeing the chair, because I am not waking her up! DH is on his way home, but we have a work dinner that he has to go to and I wanted to go too. Can't decide what to do.

22. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@Torchwood: it's the wonder week! Crying, clingy and cranky are symptoms, but they start recognizing patterns. I think this is a growth spurt week too, and learning to smile on purpose is hard too! Weeks 8-9, adjusted for L, of course. We will all make it through!

P finally took a "nap" in the swing this afternoon... Sleep 10 min, fuss 5, sleep 15, fuss 5, for an hour and a half. But I could calm her with hand holding and pacifier, no pick ups. Progress. This wonder week is kicking our butts!

23. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@Torchwood: @Mrs. Microscope: Yessss with the wonder week/crankiness!! And my toddler is fighting a cold, so this week has been fun I'm so worn out by the time DH gets home!

24. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Apparently I have one more week until the next wonder week. So glad most of you are a little ahead and can offer "guidance" lol.

Overall swing was great - she took 3 naps in it earlier today. I got to go to the hair salon and had 3 whole hours to myself which was amazing. But of course ever since I've been back she has been mega fussy and clingy. Cried when I tried to put her in the swing 3 times so I'm gonna stop while I'm ahead out of fear she starts not liking it. Maybe just isn't going to work in the evening but it was seriously life changing earlier today!

Almost 3 weeks of cloth diapering and I'm finally washing my first poopy one! She is such an infrequent, (but huge when she goes) pooper that we have managed to catch all the dirties in disposables somehow. Seems so weird that you can just toss the dirty ones straight in the wash but I guess we will see!

25. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Oh I meant to ask...

So far R is not really into pacifiers. We tried one at 4 weeks. She has a problem keeping them in her mouth, but I also can't even tell if she likes it that much. I keep buying different ones but I don't know what else to try at this point. We have done Soothies, Mam, & Natursutten (which she seems to like the best, that one she has at least managed to suck on for a minute a handful of times). Idk what else to try. Or if I should give up. We don't have a horribly hard time putting her to sleep as is, but I figured it could help when she gets extra nuts.

26. OhCaptain

kiwi / 696 posts

@buttermilk: my son never took one. Maybe a MAM if I held it in his mouth. The times o wish I would have taken one were car rides and the middle of the night when he would want to nurse for two minutes between sleep cycles. After the first year I was glad he didn't take one so I wouldn't have to wean him of it.

E takes one and im glad, it helps so much when she's fussy in the evenings during my sons bedtime routine.

27. lilteacherbee

cantaloupe / 6791 posts

@buttermilk: Both of my boys use the MAM ones (hateddd the soothies). My oldest is a paci addict right now at 22 months and I'm dreading having to wean him soon. But they are so darn helpful when you have a screaming baby in the car or when they want to use you for a paci! C just started to be really into his in the last couple of weeks.

28. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@OhCaptain: exactly, I think it would be so helpful in the stroller. She is good for an hour or two out and about but then she loses it and I'm that mom pushing a stroller with a screaming baby, or DH & I take turns holding her.

29. MrsStar

nectarine / 2994 posts

@buttermilk: lo isn't into pacifiers either. She's had it a total of a minute? ha. Lo1 only had hers for 7 months and she had it because she needed to suck to fall asleep but so far Isla doesn't.

30. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

I wish M would take a paci. He slept an hour but has been up since 7 screaming hysterically with no signs of stopping. You guys, I don't know how I can keep doing this. I am sick from not sleeping I just don't know how I can keep doing this.

31. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@MrsADS: we used to take walks with a blanket draped over. I called it sensory deprivation. Maybe that plus white noise? I'm so sorry mama.

@buttermilk: we never did a paci!

We will be doing NFP/maybe condoms. We think we want a third at some point, and I didn't get AF back until 9 months last time, so I am hoping for th same here. I don't like being on the pill, and don't want to do an IUD.

32. Portboston

persimmon / 1281 posts

@buttermilk: M uses a soothie. Funny everyone (medically) has encouraged it for us since the beginning. First for the tongue tie (it helps practice correct tongue movement) and now for the reflux (encourages swallowing). It is helpful when they are fussy but I won't be looking forward to taking it away eventually.

We'll be doing condoms until I decide if I want an IUD. I also don't like the idea of them but don't want to go back on the pill for health reasons.

@MrsADS: I agree with @Mrs. J: whenever M is super fussy I put him in the ergo and cover him with the hood. It usually knocks him out pretty quickly. He is incredibly visually stimulated and refuses to shut his eyes if there's something good to look at. So I have to cover him up like a little bird!

33. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

Thanks guys. Good idea to try the baby carrier with a blanket or something over it. Although when he's truly hysterical (like last night), nothing works. It's colic, I guess. He cried from 7pm to midnight last night (not counting all the crying during the day, although that was more just tired crying) - this was like hysterical, shrill ear splitting, out of control, nothing worked to soothe him crying. It was horrible.

34. Mrs. Microscope

pear / 1788 posts

@buttermilk: P uses a soothie during the day, and a mam at night. Sometimes a nuk at night if she doesn't want the mam, but still wants something! The soothie is "too loud" according to DH, that's why we only use it during the day. P sometimes makes whistling noises with it, and it keeps us up at night. We got all of these free from various baby registry gifts, hospital, etc.

P slept 7.5 hours in one stretch last night, after not much the night before. I feel like a new person!

35. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

@MrsADS: we used to bounce on a yoga ball a lot too. Fussy reflux babies are no fun. I feel you.

36. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

@Mrs. Microscope: love those long stretches! although R woke up every 2 hrs last night for some reason. I would love to know why!

37. buttermilk

nectarine / 2086 posts

Check out this sleeping angel! The swing, she has to be in the mood for it - it doesn't really calm her down when she is already fussy. But boy when it works, it sure makes my life easier! I managed to fold a pile of clothes today that's been staring at me for 2 weeks lol.

38. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

HI All - I hope you dont mind me popping in but I keep seeing this thread. I'm an August 2011 and an August 2014 mom!

Just wanted to share what a fun age this is right now with our 13.5 month baby boy! He's walking everywhere (actually running at times). He gets so excited when he hears the dog and says "woof" and we acknowledge that we understood what he's saying. Eating is lots of fun now that he's pretty much on solids but still getting puree pouches here and there and milk. Today he was actually playing a game and interacting with his sister teasing and laughing. It was SO adorable. It also helps that he has been STTN now! Im looking forward to the holiday season this year and a big family trip in the spring!

Anyways, best of luck and soak up this first year.

39. MrsADS

nectarine / 2262 posts

@buttermilk omg what a doll! I know what you mean about the laundry... and the dishes... and everything...

My BIL and SIL and their son are coming to stay with us for 5 days in about two weeks to meet the baby, visit, etc. (we live in a vacation/touristy area so it's kind of their vacation)... what was I thinking?!?! I am up all night with a baby, nursing in my underwear, the house is a wreck and now I am supposed to clean the house, have food ready, go out and do stuff when they are here (how?!?!). I am starting to feel like this was a terrible idea. They are nice, understanding people but still. Ugh.

Well, in case anyone was wondering, the BF elimination diet is a good way to lose the PP weight! I started it last Monday and I've lost 3 more pounds already (since there's basically nothing I can eat!)

I am hopefully today going to a huge baby/kids consignment sale in my area and going to stock up on a whole bunch of clothes, gear, etc. Looking forward to it!

40. Mrs. J

pomelo / 5132 posts

So L had decided that sometimes he'd rather smile at mama than BF. It's adorable, but frustrating at 4am when I wanna sleep!!

@T.H.O.U.: I've seen your two on Instagram. So adorable! Can't wait til mine can play together.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee