Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2012 Mama's Part 2

1. CarrieLouWho

persimmon / 1408 posts

Hey Ladies! Sorry I've been Mia, I have been reading to keep up!
    I'm knocking on wood, but everything is going well here. D is sleeping from 11-5 or 6, I feed her and we sleep until 8 or 9. Crib is key, I don't wake up at every noise and she is soothing herself back to sleep. Once we started using the miracle blanket, it was magic! Highly recommend it!

Breast feeding is also going well, she eats 8-10 times a day, but she's averaging 14-18 minutes every time she feeds. I've also started pumping once a day to build up my stash. 21 oz so far!

We confirmed her start day for daycare, it's 1/7. Someone had asked about cost, we are paying $240 a week for center based care. I'm going to go back to work on 1/3 and doing half days. Bummed that I only have 4 full weeks left

D has grown out of almost all of her 0-3 months clothes! She's so long!

I had my postpartum check up on Monday. Dr said my 3rd degree tears healed well and I'm all cleared for regular activity. I'm still not ready to DTD though. I'm not going to do BC, it took us over a year to get pregnant, I'm 29 and DH is 36, so if we get pregnant soon we are ok with that. I have heard that the mini pill lowers milk production, another reason I didn't want to do that. I temped and charted before, so I'll just do that again.

Has anyone else started your period? I did on Sunday Even though we are EBF, DR said bc baby is sleeping through the night and we aren't feeding at night that your period can come back earlier. She was surprised it came back this early. Boooo!!! But the trade off is sleep, so I guess I'll take it.

2. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@Beebug: oh wow! You are dealing with some major stuff with your MIL. That's a tough situation. I don't know how I would handle it. Personally I would push for the hotel stay or just try to go for a short trip. I'm glad your DH is on your side.

3. Mrs.B

clementine / 961 posts

@CarrieLouWho: No period here thankfully but A iswaking every 1.5 hours to nurseat night due to her cold.

@Beebug: I left A with DH for about 2 hours the other night to run a few errands she rejected the bottle and nursed for like an hour when I got home. I for sure don't want to leave her again.

4. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@CarrieLouWho: boo to period starting. Mine hasn't. And it can stay far far away. Glad you're doing well

5. CarrieLouWho

persimmon / 1408 posts

@beebug - sorry for all the family drama. I would have suggested the same thing as you - go, but stay in a hotel. I hope y'all can work it out so you can enjoy the holidays!
    @mrskc & @mrs.b - thanks!!!
    @hilsy85 - good luck with the LC, hopefully LO won't have to do anything about the lip tie!

6. Tidybee

nectarine / 2834 posts

@mrskc: i read your post about the spit up literally as I was burping C. 30 seconds later, spit up all over my shoulder and ran down my back. Ironically, this is the very first time she has ever spit up! She'll maybe spit a tiny bit out after a feeding but never a legit spit up like today. I guess she wanted to be part of the club
    @CarrieLouWho: I am so jealous of your half days. I can't even think about returning to work without getting teary eyed. Not jealous of your period -- boo.
    C is officially grown out of her newborn clothes. The funny thing is, she was still wearing them regularly just last week. She's so long and probably grew a few inches overnight!

We're still in breastfeeding hell. I'm making it work though. She eats every 3 hours during the day and about 4 over night, so I'm only getting about 6-7 feedings a day in. She's gaining weight so I'm guessing and hoping she's getting enough.

7. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@CarrieLouWho: wow sounds like her sleeping schedule is awesome! Maybe we'll have to try the miracle blanket. I haven't gotten my period yet, my OB said I probably won't until I stop breastfeeding...she didn't say anything about when LO starts sleeping through the night though. @mrskc: I've just heard that for the mini pill you have to take it at the exact same time every day or it's not reliable. I don't know if I trust myself to remember it at the exact same time each day and I really don't want a surprise baby!

8. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Tidybee: we also only get about 7 feedings a day...I was concerned but my OB said it's totally fine. Sounds like her weight is good and I'm sure she's giving you plenty of dirty diapers so I wouldn't worry! Sorry breastfeeding is still tough If this woman tomorrow is good, I can give you her info if you want?

9. CarrieLouWho

persimmon / 1408 posts

@hilsy85 - we didn't like the miracle blanket at first, but now it's the only swaddle we use!!!
    @tidybee - that stinks about BF! During the day the most we go bw feeds is 2 hours usually so I feel like I spend a lot of time feeding her.

10. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@hilsy85: ah I see. I prolly won't start it just yet but that's good to know.

@Tidybee: oh man you're lucky! Haha. I've been covered in spit up since the day he was born. I love it when I change my shirt and then pick him up and immediately get spit up on again. I'm always doing laundry because we run out of burp cloths and sleepers. I've come to love bibs. Lol I'm sorry BFing still isn't easy. I hope it gets better.

Well I have a start back day to work of feb 4th and I'll be starting out with half days for awhile.

11. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Hi ladies! I have another question for you guys. LOs poppy diapers have decreased pretty significantly in the past couple of days..she used to have 6-7 and now its like 2-3. She is almost 5 weeks. Did this happen to any of your LOs? She doesn't seem uncomfortable or in pain.

12. Mrs.B

clementine / 961 posts

@JessLC: Is she EBF?

13. mamimami

grapefruit / 4120 posts

It's normal for poopy diapers to decrease... My babe used to poop every time I changed her but now she hardly ever poops at night! Thank God! We can't keep up this diaper schedule forever!

14. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Mrs.B: yup, ebf.

@sloaneandpuffy: OK thanks! I feel like I've spent the last few days eagerly awaiting her next poop because she's had so few. Words I never thought I'd say.

15. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@JessLC: yeah, our poopy dipes have also decreased and we are 5 weeks old today... Ped said it was normal.

16. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

@hilsy85: I also made an appointment with a lactation consultant earlier this week - it was really nice to have someone troubleshoot our problems! Mine is also in NY if you end up needing another recommendation - I really liked her. I hope your appointment goes well!

@mrskc: I had my 6 week OB appointment earlier this week, and she mentioned the mini pill as an option, but warned that it's a "moody pill", i.e. the hormones in it cause not so great side effects like moodiness, weight gain, etc. I guess we'll stick with condoms for now, but I'm also loathe to do that - we haven't used condoms since the early days of dating!

@JessLC: J has always had fewer poopy diapers than some babies - generally 3 a day, sometimes only 1. There were a couple times when J would go 2 full days without any, which made me so worried, but then he would have a big one and it would look totally normal. I asked our pediatrician, and she said that's totally fine - they don't get concerned until 5 or even 7 days without one (which I think is crazy), as long as the baby is eating normally and peeing.

J slept through the night for the first time last night! He went to bed at 11:30 and slept until 6:15. It's the second night we used the miracle blanket, and both nights with the miracle blanket were better than his usual nights (he would wake up every 3 hours or so normally). I hate putting him in it - it looks so uncomfortable and he loves moving his arms around! - but I guess it's working! He doesn't seem to mind it, amazingly.

17. Mrs.B

clementine / 961 posts

@JessLC: Then that is normal. Alia only poops every few days and is EBF.

18. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

Alex slept 6 hours last night! 9:30-3:30. It was awesome. Then went back down and slept another 2.5. I hope this is his new thing. We did move up to size 2 diapers and I got him the large size swaddleme so maybe that helped. My DH also swaddled both arms down instead of leaving one out.

19. CarrieLouWho

persimmon / 1408 posts

@beehive - Delaney started sleeping through the night as soon as we used the miracle blanket. They sprinkle baby sleeping dust in them I think!

20. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

@CarrieLouWho, @mrskc: I know, isn't it amazing! I think the key must be keeping the arms down. I just hope this isn't a fluke... it felt so good to get 6 hours of sleep in a row!

I think J is going through a growth spurt right now. Last night he would not stop eating. I literally fed him for 4 hours (with very small breaks in between, during which he hysterically cried) from 5-9. I couldn't believe he still wanted to eat and was worried he would spit up half of it when I finished, but he didn't! Is this what you guys have experienced with growth spurts? He's been very fussy in the evenings and won't stop eating.

21. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@Beehive: my lo has been cluster feeding at night for the last 3 nights too. From 6-10pm, she feeds on the hour every hour. I don't know if its a growth spurt or what but I am kinda tired of it! I've read that cluster feeding in the evenings is very common.

22. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Beehive: Thank you! The appt actually went REALLY well. Apparently he still has a shallow latch and isn't sticking his tongue out far enough, so she gave me some exercised to do with him to help him learn to stick it out more. I also have "angry" looking nipples, lol, so she gave me some stuff to put on them.

I feel like L is kind of an anomaly--we've never really had a growth spurt the way I hear other people describe them (wanting to eat constantly, or cluster feeding). He just seems to sleep more during the day when it's around the time that a growth spurt should be happening. I guess I should be grateful, but it kind of makes me feel like I'm missing something!

@CarrieLouWho: @Beehive: okay that's it, we're getting the miracle blanket this weekend!

23. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

Seriously, what is a miracle blanket? lol.

C must be growing, feeding every 2.5 hours or so and not sleeping well in between, hungry girl, I am semi-worried I can't keep up! She had a good night though, but today has been long!

24. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

25. MrsRcCar

grapefruit / 4712 posts

Dh and I are loving the fact that the poopy diapers have decreased. It is so much faster to change his diaper. He has been cluster feeding the last couple nights. I hope that stops soon. Poor DH is such a light sleeper, so he is up with Nolan a lot. Although last night he slept for 6 hours in a row! It was wonderful!!! I don't think it is going to happen tonight.

This morning I had a chiropratic appointment this morning to try and help my back pain. It worked for a little while today but I am back to really uncomfortable back pain. Anyone else suffering with back pain? When my epidural was placed during labor it had to be placed 3 times (!!!) because the first two times he hit a blood vessel. My doctor and the the Chiro both said it could cause me pain for 8-12 weeks. I am hoping for 8 weeks. I would love to be comfortable again.
    This afternoon my mom and I took Nolan to get some more pictures taken. His pictues turned out so great I can't wait to get them back. I bought the most adoreable christmas hat with Yoda ears from Hobby Lobby. It was huge but just so cute! I was surprised at how well Nolan did with pictures this time. We even got a smile! It was worth every bit of money I spent.

I am getting so excited for Christmas. I am looking forward to seeing our families and sharing Nolan with everyone. I know that he won't remember this christmas or know what is going on, but I am still so stoked! I am only a little worried that FIL's cat will not behave while we are there for Christmas. I don't think that the cat would hurt the baby or anything but he (the cat) does have a bad habit of peeing on things that he doesn't like. FIL is more then willing to keep the cat locked up while we are there, so I guess I don't need to worry.

I am loving all the baby smiles I have been getting lately, they just make my night!

26. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

I think I'm running out of milk?

I originally thought growth spurt, could be both....but my boobs feel empty, squishy, soft, totally not what it's been like. I'm defrosting some of my stash to see if giving me a break fills me up again?

I feel that same feeling when my milk comes in before/around feeding time, but never seem to fill up?

Gah, kinda bummed.....could this be resolved, or am I done bf'ing?

27. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Beebug: same thing here, but I'm pretty sure that means our supply is regulating...no more getting engorged! Yay!

28. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@Beebug: it doesn't mean you don't have enough milk. It just means your supply is regulating. It happened to me too. My boobs are much softer but there always seems to be enough for my little guy.

29. Mrs.B

clementine / 961 posts

@Beebug: That means your supply is regulating. It's normal and a good thing.

30. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Thanks for the input on the poopy diapers everyone! I guess I should just be thankful. Although the diapers have been a lot bigger to make up for it!

31. CupQuakeWalk

coconut / 8475 posts

@Beebug: omg I have the same worry and its been depressing and stressing me for the last week or so! Because I only had to pump 5x a day to get what my LO needed, my body thought LO only ate 5x a day...so now that I'm pretty much 90% bfing, I never have enough mid-day...I have a bunch in the AM & PM (times I use to pump). So, I keep having to BF as long as I can and then having to top him off with a bottle (of pumped milk from the AM) it's super stressful because if I'm not home...I always have to make sure I have a frozen bottle I even have some formula packets in case one day I forget to grab some milk from the freezer on my way out of the house.

I am seeing a LC on Tuesday...lo's latch still hurts..granted he is waaayyy better than he originally was...but still:( my nipples are throbbing. We're 7w in...this should be old news!

32. CupQuakeWalk

coconut / 8475 posts

@hilsy85: regarding your LO's ( AWESOME) sleep pattern...is that because you dream feed? Details! I want in on this!

33. Tidybee

nectarine / 2834 posts

@hilsy85: Glad the appointment went well! I think L and C have the same issues! I was messing around with her tongue today. Based on how wide her mouth is open when she is latched on, and how much she is taking in, I could not believe she still has a shallow latch, yet my nips are still coming out misshapen and pinched. So I was putting my finger in her mouth today and noticed she pulls her tongue back and forth when sucking so that she's still chewing on the nip even though it's way in there. I'm going to call the LC tomorrow and just see what she suggests...maybe the same exercises as L!

I'm barely 5 weeks PP, EBF from day 1, and I think I got my period! It started 2 days ago with some spotting and it's getting heavier and heavier. I'm in disbelief!

C actually doesn't do as well in the miracle blanket. We LOVE the velcro swaddles from Summer Infant though.

34. CupQuakeWalk

coconut / 8475 posts

@Tidybee: I got my period too! I was so sad:/ & we loooove the Velcro summer swaddleMe blankets! Of course LO only let's me swaddle him after he's asleep. It does wonders for the length of time he sleeps though (versus if he's not swaddled).

35. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

You ladies were so right, I think just regulating, but holy crap what a freak out I had, lol. Thank-you @hilsy85: , @mrskc: , and @Mrs.B: !

Also seeing less poopy diapers here, and sort of know when to expect them now too, makes pre-wash of the cloth quicker too!

I had a bottle defrosted from the stash so gave it to her at bedtime last night, she slept through until 4:30am, diaper change and 5 mins on the boob, back to bed until 9:15am, diaper change and 7 mins on the boob and she is currently out cold.....not sure if filling her up with the bottle and her lack of solid nap yesterday? It's a rainy and gross day here, so I will take her sleep and add some of my laziness, and not mind one bit.

@TurtleDoves: It's great you're bf'ing so much again, but agreed on stressful about not having enough, bah.

Boo about some of you getting periods!! I want that to stay away!!! I want to DTD so badly, still haven't yet......

36. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@TurtleDoves: hah I don't know if his sleep pattern is so awesome, but it is very consistent now--bed at 7:30/8, I nurse at 10, and he wakes up at 2/2:30, 5:30, and 8:00/8:30. The feed I do at 10 isn't really a dream feed because I wake him up--change his diaper, burp him, etc. That works better for us than doing a dream feed. We're also lucky in that he goes back to sleep almost immediately after eating at 10. If he didn't, my thoughts on waking him up might change! As for your supply, I would think if you keep up the nursing, it will adjust to meet LO's needs! And that's awesome that you're back to nursing so much. I hear ya on still having nipple pain. So much for the 6 week magic turnaround point!

@Tidybee: it DEFINITELY sounds like L and C have the same issue! The exercise my LC showed me does get him to stick his tongue out. Then it's just a matter of getting him to keep it out when he latches. Sometimes it feels like he's literally just chomping down on my nipple. It's like one step forward, two steps back. I'm also still dealing with some yeast on my nipple, which adds to the pain--fun stuff! I hope you're able to get some good suggestions. And boo to your period!! I hope mine stays away.

SO I am now on a milk free diet. The LC suggested that LO's issues with de latching and re latching may be due to gas, and she said that cow's milk is a big culprit for gas in babies. So it's soy milk for me from now on, but she said I can have up to 2 servings a day or yogurt and cheese--yay. Hopefully this helps his tummy a bit. I'm going to try to limit to one serving of dairy anyway.

I also think we got our first smile on Friday! It wasn't a big one, but it seemed to definitely be a reaction to me. I can't wait for a huge one where I get to see his dimples!

37. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@hilsy85: I am desperate for a 7:30/8 bedtime, rather than the 10-11pm currently, I go to bed with that feeding, DH walks dog, and showers, I'm out cold sleeping by the time DH crawls into bed! Just would be nice for some DH time before bed! YAY first smile, I freaking love C's smiles, erases all the fussing or any "down" moments!!!

38. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Beebug: yeah that's why I try and stick to the earlier time, even if he's super fussy. It gives DH and I some alone time/time without baby! Very necessary.

39. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@hilsy85: Very necessary, good for you!

......as she sleeps right now.....ugh....hardly been awake today.....so it doesn't look like it'll happen tonight

40. Mrs.B

clementine / 961 posts

8 week update

A is a total Mama's Girl she is attached to me 24 hours a day and in all honesty I don't mind :p. She is a good baby and hardly ever fusses unless something she is hungry which lately seems like all the time. She is now an efficient eater and only nurses 5-10 min each session. Today she has started cluster feeding again and I'm not really sure why but I'm going to let it run it's course. A smiles all the time and loves chatting with me. We are working on rolling over. She is so close but her pesky arm gets in the way still. She is not a good sleeper at all :/. She does a 2-3 hour stretch and then is usually up every 1.5 hours.

How are all your LO's doing? How is BFing going?

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee