Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2012 Mama's Part 2

1. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

LOVE the girls rule, boys drool bib, too funny!!!

Pissy Beebug today, I think I definitely got my period. Boourns.

@TurtleDoves: I meant to say it in the introduction thread, but that is the first pic I have seen of all of you, and it's nice to "meet" you a little bit more as per that thread!!! Get facebook back

Beco Gemini came today, L-O-V-E it!!!

Also bought a baby monitor today, and had a good outing when we took dog for walk, then went to BRU, then Costco, met some friends from work at Costco, it just opened in my town, so....I guess a big deal, lol.

Hope everyone is doing well

2. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

@Beebug: I have been thinking about getting a Beco Gemini. Is it easy to put on by yourself? I have a Bjorn, and I can't figure out how to get the baby in and fasten it on my own, so I haven't even taken him out in it yet. I'm thinking of getting either a Beco or a Boba instead - a friend has the Boba, and it looks very easy to use.

For those of you who have been able to get their babies on a bit of a schedule, how have you done it? Right now the only thing that has been consistent time-wise is that J goes to bed around 11:30, and I go to bed then too. He's slept 6 hours in a row a few times now, which is very exciting. But I would love to start moving his bedtime earlier, which I think most of you have done. How do you do it?

During the day, J has no schedule at all - I feed him when he is hungry, he passes out from eating and naps until he's done (and how long he stays asleep really varies - it could be 15 minutes or 2 hours), and I feed him when he's hungry again. There's no real pattern, and I can't figure out how people start to impose one. I would love some advice!

3. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@Beehive: I read the instructions once, and then got it on myself first try no problem. I love it (did I say that? lol) and the wear instructions (all the options) are so clear (written and photo) so you really can't screw up. We will get so much use out of it, can't wait! C loved it!

As per schedule.....if C is awake (daytime) she eats every 3 hours, no sooner unless it seems like something is off (growth spurt, frantic, etc) but that is very infrequent. If she is sleeping, I don't wake her to feed, so through the night, she goes as long as she sleeps, if she sleeps through a feed daytime, she feeds when she wakes. Usually (this will not happen now that I've typed it!!) she goes 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, 10pm, then 3-4am or so nighttime for feedings, daytime sometimes naps between, sometimes always awake, sometimes catnaps....that is never consistent....! After the 10pm feeding it is bedtime, and she usually sleeps til 8-9am, I would love to shift the bedtime forward to 7pm, and have an earlier wake up as I am a morning person, but so far no luck, waiting to get through Christmas and our travel plans, then will really aim yo set schedule in new year.

4. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

@Beebug: That sounds like a great schedule! Normally does C only want to eat every 3 hours? Often J will cry to be fed before 3 hours, which means that I can never get him on a good schedule. Perhaps I need to try to stretch out his feedings a bit more so he's not expecting food every 2 hours or so?

The Beco sounds great, I may need to order one!

5. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

Things are going good right now for us. We're battling some rashes right now. I took him to the ped today to have his rashes checked out. He weighed 12 lbs 1 oz! Turns out the rashes are nothing. He's got diaper rash and then another rash right at the opening of his bum which the ped said was from pooping a lot. Doc said he's just got sensitive skin. Poor guy. anyone have good diaper rash tips? I'm now using cloth wipes with just warm water. I'm putting his diaper on pretty loose to allow air flow. It just seems to be persistent.

I took this photo over the weekend. Going to use it for our holiday cards.

6. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@Beehive: I have the Beco too. Love it! And it's very easy to put on by yourself. We're on a baby-led schedule right now. I pretty much let him eat and sleep when he wants. Some babies just tend to fall into their own schedules. But mine is like yours and eats about every 2 hours, sometimes less. Sometimes he'll nap for half hour and sometimes for 2 hours. I would say a routine is better than trying to put baby on a schedule. At around 7 pm we start his bedtime routine which consists of a bath and then nursing to sleep. He goes down around 9 pm and has now started sleeping 5-6 hours for his first stretch of sleep. So maybe try a bedtime routine and do it every night. You could also have a morning routine with your LO.

7. CupQuakeWalk

coconut / 8475 posts

@Beebug: haha, I know..when I saw your wedding picture I was like "that's my girl,beebug!" And I scrolled up to confirm & sure enough it was you:)
    @mrskc: you took that?! You're so talented:) that's adorable!

8. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@mrskc: we are going through the same thing with rashes...DS has what I think is a diaper rash on the top of his butt, right by his "plumber's crack". I have my mom's group at the pedi tomorrow so will ask her to take a look at it. Usually we use triple paste on diaper rash and it goes away, but it isn't doing anything for this rash. That picture is FANTASTIC--I am super impressed!! We're getting our tree this weekend/putting up lights, I'm going to try to do something similar. Also, do you bathe every night? Right now we do it every other day/third day, dependng on what else is going on. But I think I want to try doing it every night.

@Beehive: We don't really have a set schedule either...DS has somewhat of a routine during the day, in that he usually has three long-ish naps during the day, and goes to bed between 7:30 and 830. One thing my pedi told me is that babies need to nap in between feedings, if you can get them to. A lot of the time, DS will eat, he'll be awake for a while, and then he'll start fussing. I might think he's hungry, but really he's tired (as evidenced by the fact that if I put a paci in his mouth he passes out almost immediately). So trying to get him to sleep in between feedings kind of gives more of a structure to teh day. I also try and get his naps to be at least 45 min, even if that means walking him in the stroller for 45 min.

I am so jealous of you guys whose LOs are sleeping 5-6 hours!! DS did a 5/6 hour stretch once. I put him in a swaddle me tonight, we'll see if that helps at all.

9. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@TurtleDoves: yep! This was the set up. I'm kind of into learning photography. I have my DSLR and I'm always playing with it and trying to learn to take better photos.

@hilsy85: Thank you! I want to do a photo in front of the xmas tree too. My ped suggested bag balm for the diaper rash. It's in a green can. We'll see if it helps. I might have to try triple paste too. And we bathe every night. We were using the lavender soap to help relax him, but because of his rashes, we're just doing plain water. I really think it helps him relax for bedtime. We're on the same kind of routine too. I try to get him to nap in between feedings and a lot of the time he's fussing is because he's tired.

10. CupQuakeWalk

coconut / 8475 posts

@hilsy85: DS slept 7h yesterday...&then another 3.5h. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the time! I'm sure it was a fluke:/
    @mrskc: love that!

11. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

Holy crap you guys, DS slept 6 hours, from 8-2, and then slept until 7:15!!! We used the swaddle me last night and I think we need to go out and buy like 10 more!! This is probs a fluke also, like @TurtleDoves, but for now this is the most sleep I've gotten in almost 7 weeks!!!

12. Tidybee

nectarine / 2834 posts

@hilsy85: Awesome! Good for L...and even better for you!
    I tried to make an appointment with an LC who specializes in suck issues, and I can't get one until next week. Don't know if my nips will make it til then...
    Our routine is primarily baby-led but it has a structure to it. LO wakes up around 7-7:30, eats, diaper change, and hangs out until around 8:30 and she goes back down for a nap. Then the rest of the day is basically eat, diaper change, some time in the swing or the mat, nap. She usually goes to bed between 9 and 10 depending on when she last ate. We'll give her a bottle and then I'll let her nurse for a bit since it tends to put her to sleep/comfort. She'll sleep that first stretch for about 5-6 hours. It's been hard to get her back down after that, so that's our primary struggle right now with her nights.
    @mrskc: that is amazing!! great job!

13. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@hilsy85: that's awesome! DS slept 5 hours then 3 so at least I got 8 hours last night.

14. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

@mrskc: That sounds great - I like the idea of routines. I would love to get J on a schedule, but starting with routines may be a good way to go.

@hilsy85: I'm so glad the swaddle worked! That's some great sleep. Your routine sounds similar to my days, except J usually falls asleep while eating (or just after finishing eating).

@tidybee: (and everyone else probably) How do you get your babies to nap during the day if they don't fall asleep right after eating? I don't want to get J in the habit of needing to nurse to go to sleep, but it seems like that's the only way he does it. Do they just fall asleep after you play with them for a while, or do you put them in their crib awake and they fall asleep somehow?

15. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Beehive: I look for tired cues (yawning/fussing) and then I either put him in his swing and he falls asleep or I pop a paci in and rock him to sleep. Or, of we're going out, he'll nap in the stroller/moby.

16. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

Hi again. What is everyone doing for birth control? I kinda want to avoid hormonal methods so I was thinking of the copper IUD but it makes period heavier and crampier and my periods were heavy to begin with. Ugh. Don't want to risk the pull n pray and we both hate condoms. What are you all thinking/doing?

17. SleepyMonkey

grapefruit / 4006 posts

@mrskc: that pic is seriously awesome!! I might have to copy it. Is there a special setting that you used on your camera?

18. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@JessLC: Thank you! I like to use aperture priority mode (Av mode). You set your aperture and the camera decides the shutter speed. I think for this photo I used an aperture of 2.2. Make sure the camera focuses on your subject and not the background.

Re birth control I haven't decided yet. I have a prescription for the mini pill but now sure if I want to take it. I guess that would leave us with condoms...

19. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@mrskc: So cool how you did the pic!!

@TurtleDoves: Awesome about those long sleep stretches!

I ate my words with her sleep last night, she was baaaad, I'm tired today.

@hilsy85: Also awesome sleep, jealousss!!

I just had my 6w pp appt @JessLC: so was just going to talk birth control!

I am going on the mirena IUD. I have a friend on it, and my doctor went on it as well after her baby last Fall. I have the prescription, and go next Tuesday to have it put in! She said I could go mini-pill, condoms, or IUD. I was on the depo needle for 9 years, so a pill every day is so not my thing.

I have not gotten my period again, like I thought, she said I tore a little bit and am bleeding from that, asked if I did anything on the weekend, and we figure it's when I ran my dog at agility class Sunday, which is when it started......boo....! Am ok to work out again, but to listen to my body, and come back slow, bring on the pool!!!! Sex is ok too.

Asked about how long I took to deliver placenta, said the hour was long, but sometimes it just is that way, nothing to worry about.

I neeeeed to get thank-you cards from all of our showers done, that is hanging over my head, tonight...I hope!

20. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

I'm back to being a skeptic about this not being a period. I don't know, there's so much about it that is so period like, and not "tear" like. Not that I have had tearing down there before the last 6 weeks, lol. Bleeding is heavier today, which doesn't make since if I tweaked it Sunday, I'm eating like a cow, and I don't know.....hmmm. All I can do is track it I guess and see, with the IUD going in next week, who knows when it'll come again if it is a period.

I dropped the script off at the pharmacy, and pharmacist was like, it's $437 and may not be covered....so I thought "well eff that, I'll go on the pill" but had some hope in mine and DHs benefits.......100% covered! Pharmacist was like.....I've seen it covered, but never 100%! Score.

21. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@JessLC: right now I think we're going to use condoms...I"ve heard the minipill is not so reliable, although probably with breastfeeding, it would be fine. We'll see how condoms go for now.

I am SO upset...I updated the software on my iphone and in the process, it reset my phone and erased all my data--including ALL the photos I had on there! I had like 300 photos of Leo since he's been born. I cried when I realize they were all gone Note to self/others--back up your photos!!!

22. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@hilsy85: we only do baths every 3 nights or so (depends if there is a blowout or pee incident) ... LO has some eczema and dry skin so the ped said not too bathe too much and it seriously helps @mrskc: maybe don't bathe every day and it will help the rash?? Not sure. (Love your pic!!)

@mrskc: @hilsy85: and others ..... so jealous of the long sleep! I hope we get there soon!! Do you pump when they sleep that long? my boobs start to get so engorged and hard if we wait too long! So what do u do when they sleep longer??

23. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@hellobeeboston: The first time he slept from 10-2, a few weeks ago, I definitely woke up engorged and in pain. But I think over the last week, my supply has regulated. So now when he wakes up at 2/2:30 after sleeping for 6 hours, I'm definitely full, but it's not really painful. There were a few nights though over the last few weeks, before things regulated, where I had to hand express into the sink during the wee hours of the morning. I've heard not to pump too much because then it signals your body to produce more.

24. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@hilsy85: oh no! That's terrible. Have you double checked to see if it was backed up to iCloud? I also use google+ instant upload to backup iPhone photos.

@hellobeeboston: I was a bit engorged when he started sleeping longer. After a few days my supply regulated and I don't get super engorged anymore. Hope your LO starts sleeping longer soon.

25. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@hilsy85: thanks! And I'm so sorry about your pics - maybe check with apple to see if they are somewhere or still on the hard drive? I need to back up my pics ASAP!

26. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@mrskc: @hellobeeboston: thanks ladies...apparently nothing was backed up on icloud so they can't do anything I'm trying not to think about all the pics we lost and just focus on the fact that we have a lot from our other camera and that I've emailed to DH and family.

27. CarrieLouWho

persimmon / 1408 posts

Morning all! Just checking in - hope you're all doing well. D is still sleeping well (knock on wood). I'm trying to work on making her bedtime earlier, but no luck on that so far bc I'm not trying too hard. It's usually bw 10-11.
    She had her first diaper rash, but we conquered it in a day and a half.
    I've started really trying to exercise this week. Trying to just go for good walks - we went Tuesday and yesterday for about 45-50 minutes. We've had crazy nice weather in the 60s/70s so I've been taking advantage of it.
    Got word this morning that one of my closest friends at work, her husband passed away yesterday. He's only 41 and they have 2 kids, 12 & 8. I've been crying all morning. It was so unexpected. I just can't imagine what she's going through.

28. CupQuakeWalk

coconut / 8475 posts

@CarrieLouWho: wow...that is terrible...I'm speechless:( so sorry for her loss:(

29. Tidybee

nectarine / 2834 posts

@Beehive: I also look for sleepy cues..yawns primarily. I then just pick her up and rock her (I know -- probably not the best thing) and then put her in her crib drowsy or just asleep. Sometimes she doesn't last 5 minutes like that and sometimes, like now, she's been down for about 45 minutes. Throughout the day, she'll nap in her swing or stroller when we are out and about.
    @hilsy85: That is awful bout your photos!! I'm so sorry!
    @hellobeeboston: C is sleeping 5-6 hours and then another 3. I try to pump right before bed, so I'm going about 4 hours without pumping, and as a result, I'm waking up sore and leaking. but in my sleepy state, that's preferable than getting up and going to pump, knowing she's going to be waking up within an hour or so. @CarrieLouWho: How awful! So sorry.

30. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@CarrieLouWho: so tragic. I'm so sorry for your friend. I was just going to get on here and ask about everyone's pp weight loss.

I signed up for a color me rad 5k in feb. don't know if I'll actually run the whole thing but its something for me to work towards. DH and I have been taking a walk after he gets home from work. I'd like to start jogging. Maybe on wknds when DH can watch the baby. I still have 20 lbs to lose to get to pre preg weight. I'd be happy to lose 10 tho. I thought I would've lost more right away but I guess I pigged out on too much chocolate. Now I'm trying to eat healthier. No more candy in my house. I cut up apples and put them in a container for a healthy snack while I nurse. I'm working on it.

How is everyone else doing with weight loss and exercise?

31. CarrieLouWho

persimmon / 1408 posts

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It was so sudden.

@mrskc - I'm down 20 lbs from prepregnancy, but I feel like my body did strange things with pregnancy, so I'm not the norm. I am still overweight though, so I am trying to lose weight. I've been using the Myfitnesspal app to track calories. I really like it!

32. CarrieLouWho

persimmon / 1408 posts

Oh! And I meant to say I signed up for a 5k on New Years Day to get me motivated. I may not run the whole thing (haven't done any jogging so far), but its a start!

33. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

@carrielouwho: That is so terrible, I'm so sorry for your friend.

@tidybee: (and everyone) Today I have been trying to do things in the right order, so I fed J, *then* changed and played with him, and when he started yawning I put him in his crib with a pacifier - and he fell asleep! He still won't nap for longer than 30 minutes, but I'm impressed that he was able to fall asleep on his own. Now he is kind of awake and keeps crying every few minutes when his pacifier falls out, and is quiet as soon as I put it back in. I wish there was a way to keep pacifiers in! Sometimes I feel like I'm in a constant loop of pacifier re-introduction.

re diaper rash, we haven't had any yet (knock on wood), and part of it might be the wipes we use - Water Wipes, which almost entirely water with a tiny bit of grapefruit seed extract. I switched from Papers Sensitive after reading about some chemicals in them (and most other wipes) that could be dangerous. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but water wipes seem to work well enough, and aren't irritating, so we're sticking with them for now.

@hellobeeboston: Last night J slept from 9:30 to 5:45 without eating (I couldn't believe it). When he sleeps through the night, my breasts are definitely super full in the morning (haven't gotten to the point of being painful, though). When they're really full, I'll pump for 5-7 minutes before feeding him - I'm worried that otherwise he'd choke on all the milk that would come flooding out when he started drinking! As a bonus, that gets me maybe 4 oz of pumped milk (I can never seem to find time to pump during the day).

@mrskc: I probably still have 9 pounds or so to lose (though I wasn't happy with my prepregnancy weight, so it's more like 19!). I have been eating too much crap in the past 6 weeks, and I told myself that I would really start paying attention to what I eat and exercising after the 6 week mark. I have heard of too many people losing the pregnancy weight but having a different body shape post-pregnancy, and I want to be able to fit into all the clothes in my closet again! So off to the gym it is, as much as I hate it! @carrielouwho: I love myfitnesspal!

@hilsy85: That is so upsetting about your photos - I would be beside myself. I love Apple computers/ipads/etc, but sometimes they can be SO annoying with updates and things.

34. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@CarrieLouWho: so sorry to hear about your friend!!@mrskc: I"ve been going to the gym sporadically since 3 weeks post partum...I ran my first mile yesterday! Thought I was going to pass out, lol, but I made it! I am still 8 lbs over my pre preg weight, but definitely have lost muscle--my hips are wider and my tummy is mushy. @Beehive: I think I need to order those wipes! They sound great.

35. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

Woo hoo! My son slept for 6 hours straight last night!! He went down at 10, made some noises at 2, I thought he was waking up, then slept until 4!!! He went back down at 4:45 and just work up again at 7!

Lets hope this continues - prob won't - the night before he was up every 2.5 hrs.

36. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

You ladies are all so great working out. I am not, and don't know when I will again. With work looming on the horizon, I can't justify a gym membership when I am going to have so little time with James... I'm not sure how I will ever get back in shape, mostly just need tummy toning - somehow my hips and butt are smaller postpartum.

37. Beehive

nectarine / 2054 posts

The past two days I have been working on getting J on a 3-hour routine/schedule, and it worked pretty well yesterday! I've been trying not to nurse him to sleep, and I have been putting him in his crib when he's drowsy (and it works - he falls asleep!).

My main problem at the moment is that he won't stay asleep long enough (during his naps, that is). He'll fall asleep and then wake up maybe 15 or 20 minutes later. I'd like him to be able to take 1 hour naps, or at least 45 minutes! What do you do when your baby wakes up before his naptime is "over"?

38. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@CarrieLouWho: I'm doing a 5 k in feb. don't think I'll run the whole thing tho.

@hilsy85: you're doing better than me! I haven't started jogging yet. Just walking.

@hellobeeboston: yay for more sleep! I won't get a gym membership either. I've just been trying to do sit ups at home and walking around the neighborhood.

@Beehive: do you swaddle for his naps? Maybe he's waking himself up.

DS slept almost 8 hours last night! 9-5 am then slept another 2. Hope this is a new trend but I'd still be happy with the 5-6 hour stretches we've been getting.

39. Mrs.B

clementine / 961 posts

@mrskc: Love the pic.
    @CarrieLouWho: Sorry for your loss. Very sad

My weight loss is at a stand still I'm affraid to cut calories and I can't find the time to exercise right now. At 12 weeks I'm rejoining WW and will begin running again.

A had her 2 month check up today. She is in the 37% for height and 80% for weight. She is my chunky girl

No rashes yet here but we are CDing.

40. Beebug

pomegranate / 3917 posts

@CarrieLouWho: My goodness, sorry to hear about your colleague's husband. That is so tragic, and a worst fear.

@mrskc: I have a chunk of weight to lose too, about 15lbs, I signed up for a 10k, but not until May! I have started eating the junk food out of my house (lol) and then making sure DH stops buying more, and I do too, then I won't have problems, argh! I am just walking daily, but anxious to do more and need to start prioritizing it.

@hellobeeboston: Woo hoo about last night's sleep!!

We also had a good sleep night. Nursed at 10, bedtime, nursed at 3, slept until 8....huge score, I needed that after the bad night before.

@Beehive: Awesome about the 3-hour sched!! Sometimes C doesn't nap as long as I hope, and I just "deal" with it, I find it varies day to day what naps she gets, and sometimes I just put her in swing, her seat, or wear her, or have her in my lap.....means I get less done, but the time with her is ok too!! If I am needing the nap and napping with her, she gets the paci or in bed with me to stretch the naptime.....bad!!

@mrskc: Wow, awesome sleeping he is sleeping!!!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee