Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2014 Mothers-To-Be!

1. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@mrskoloa: The orange liquid is for a gestational diabetes test. Normally they don't do it until way later in pregnancy. And evidently it tastes disgusting, so we have that to look forward to!

2. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

@Cole: wtfrick!? Why in the world would that test be administered so early? Aren't there indicators that would make a woman more likely to develop that condition anyway?

3. wonderstruck

pomegranate / 3791 posts

@Cole: Thank you! And I would be disappointed by that appointment too, sounds pretty disorganized =/ But not as weird as the appointment @megan had - gestational diabetes doesn't show up until like the end of the second or beginning of the thirs trimester! Honestly, I'd be having pretty serious doubts about my doctor if they tried to get me to do it so early.

And it is pretty gross. I drank it three times and still never had the test done because I threw up and passed out when they went to draw blood - they never been got the needle in. Whoops. Luckily my midwife didn't really care. @mrskoloa: From what my midwife said when she was explaining why she wasn't too concerned about me not completing the gestational diabetes test, the indicators are if you are overweight, an older age, or have a family history of diabetes. I do have family history through my dad, but because he is heavyset and wasn't diagnosed until he was older, she wasn't worried.

Is anyone else just SO TIRED? My mom has a snow day tomorrow and I'm so freaking relieved, she can come over and play with Landon while I take a much needed nap!

4. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@wonderstruck: I feel like fatigue has come in waves for me just like all of my other symptoms. I can be fine one moment and then practically narcoleptic the next. I have been feeling tired enough to go to bed at like 7:30 or 8 most nights but I can never fall asleep that early.

5. Tidybee

nectarine / 2834 posts

I actually liked the orange drink! I did take it in July after walking 30 min to my appointment in like 90 degree heat but I didn't think it was half as bad as everyone says it is.

Today is results day. I don't think I'll be putting my phone down all day. I'm so nervous I could puke. Or that might be pregnancy related. Who knows!

6. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@Tidybee: my fingers are crossed for you! I hope you get great results!

7. wonderstruck

pomegranate / 3791 posts

@Cole: Yeah, that's me too - in the middle of the day or late afternoon/early evening all of the sudden I'm just exhausted and feel like I could pass out, but then I'm not tired when time to go to bed rolls around.

8. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

October Mamas
    9/29 Mrs. Koloa (#1)
    9/30 Mrs. Tartan (#1)
    10/01 bushelandapeck (#2)
    10/03 mirage
    10/04 megan (#1)
    10/10 however briefly (#1)
    10/14 Cole (#1)
    10/14 Ms.Pumpkin (#1)

10/14 Mrs. Deer (#2)
    10/14 Mrsk (#1)
    10/15 wonderstruck (#2)
    10/17 lioneyes (#1)
    TBD hotpink (#2)

Appointments
    2/11 Mrs. Tartan
    2/13 however briefly (u/s)
    2/18 Mrs. Tartan
    2/20 Mrs. Koloa
    2/24 bushelandapeck (u/s)
    2/24 Wonderstruck
    2/25 megan (u/s)
    2/27 mirage
    2/28 lioneyes
    3/05 Ms. Pumpkin
    3/05 bushelandapeck
    3/10 Wonderstruck (u/s)

9. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

DH had surgery yesterday so things have been crazy busy around here for the past couple of days. I did use it as an excuse to skype with the inlaws next weekend though which will be conveniently three days after the ultrasound so we'll be telling them the news then.

In other news, my doctor confirmed that I am not pregnant (which I was 99% sure was the case seeing as I have an IUD) but thinks that maybe I have PCOS now. They've thought this many times over the last eight or nine years but it's never turned out to be the case so we'll see what happens this time. Bleh. At least I'm not preggo though! I called DH from the exam room when I was left alone for a moment and he was all, "Oh holy shit YESSSSS!" he was so happy for that negative, LOL. It was a bit of a source of concern for us

Sorry to hear about all the morning sickness that's starting to go around. My SIL ended up just carrying around a couple of lemons in her purse wherever she went and would cut one open and keep it right under her nose whenever needed. It was the only thing that worked for her.

10. Tidybee

nectarine / 2834 posts

Results are in. My hcg went from 2100 to 3800. I have to do a 3rd beta on Monday because they're not quite doubling. So still pregnant but still in the wait and see game. I'm a little perturbed because the doc didn't order a progesterone test after I told him I was monitored during TTC #1 for progesterone deficiency and weak ovulation. And I'm spotting! Isn't that OB101? Sorry to rant!

11. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

@Tidybee: Are you able to get a second opinion? I can't remember, was your TTC monitored by an RE and that's why you're getting betas? Like you, I just don't understand why they didn't check your progesterone levels if you have slow rising hcg and previous issues with low progesterone.

I will say though that I have a friend who had really slow rising hcg (she was doubling every four days) and she never had her progesterone tested but she had a very healthy pregnancy and a very healthy baby.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

12. Mrs. Jellyfish

blogger / grape / 99 posts

@wonderstruck yes, it was truly bizarre. The nurse said they do the glucose test three times, once as early as possible because it lets them know if you have "risk factors" for developing it later. Kaiser is just very weird about tests, I have learned over the years.

Does anyone else NOT have any real symptoms yet?! My boobs are sore and my nipples realllly hurt, but other than that I feel normal. No morning sickness at all. I was a bit worried about it but the nurse yesterday told me it is more common to show up around 6/7 weeks, and I am still in week 5.

13. Mrs tartan

kiwi / 656 posts

@megan: I don't even have sore boobs, all I am is tired. Tired, tired, tired. Ill be 7 weeks on Tuesday. I'm waiting for something interesting to happen soon!

14. Ms.Pumpkin

apricot / 435 posts

@megan: Yeah, that sounds super strange, I've never heard of doing the GD test 3 times during pregnancy! I would have refused that test as well!

I've been feeling mostly tired and just... off. Sometimes get a wave of nausea. At the risk of veering into big time TMI, holy mama, this gas is crazy! I was walking off the train this evening, and I started cramping up pretty badly. I almost started to worry when I realized that I couldn't tell if I was having uterine cramping or just massive gas pains. Turns out I am composed of like 99% gas! Whomp Whomp.

The Mr is running out for a pizza at the moment, so I'm sitting at home alone, blaming all wayward emissions on the cat.

15. Mrs. Deer

blogger / persimmon / 1231 posts

@megan: That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard! Three times? And so early?? Crazy!

And the only symptoms I have so far is a sense of being full and peeing in the middle of the night. My nausea didn't kick in until 6 weeks last time though so I've still got time...

16. Mrs tartan

kiwi / 656 posts

@Ms.Pumpkin: oh I hear you on the gas front (not literally!) I used to be able to hold them in, I'm like a whoopee cushion these days. Poor DH, I'm a farting, exhausted, grumpy wife, he must feel so lucky

17. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@Tidybee: fx for you! I hope you can try to relax this weekend, though I'm sure that will be tough.
    @Ms.Pumpkin: gas and indigestion have been the worst things for me so far. By the end of the day I am so bloated and uncomfortable I don't even want to eat dinner!

I'm off to a birthday party for my niece today. Trying to think of a good excuse to jot have a glass of wine with my mom later tonight. We always do that when I come to visit. And boy do I wish I could have one!

18. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

@bushelandapeck: I know most people don't really believe the antibiotics excuse anymore but you could always go that route and say you have an ear infection or something.

I know that I have allergic reactions to things at times and take benadryl which makes me unable to drink. I have minor reactions to spider and bug bites where they swell up slightly and become super itchy so I'll take some benadryl to help keep me from scratching. Maybe you could say something along those lines?

19. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

@megan: It's been over ten years since I had Kaiser but I actually remember them as being pretty hands off about everything. When I got married and switched to another insurance, I felt like the new one was so much more proactive about everything. My how things change!!

20. LovelyPlum

eggplant / 11408 posts

@Tidybee: Popping in from April to say that those numbers don't seem so bad! I really hope they keep going up on Monday. Grow little one, grow!

21. Tidybee

nectarine / 2834 posts

@LovelyPlum: I know! I realized my blood draws were only 40 hours apart as well, but the nurse seemed pretty pessimistic when she was saying - "well you're going to need to come in again because the numbers weren't quite where the doctor wants them.". She had the "I feel sorry for you" tone in her voice. I'm trying to feel really optimistic but I can't shake her tone from the back of my mind. I'm actually going in for another blood draw today and then u/s on Monday.

22. LovelyPlum

eggplant / 11408 posts

@Tidybee: ugh, darn nurse. I hope that your little bean proves her wrong at your u/s on Monday

23. Ms.Pumpkin

apricot / 435 posts

@Tidybee: Keeping you in my thoughts for good things happening on Monday!

24. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

@Tidybee: So I did the math for you and you are at a perfectly normal doubling rate!!! If it was 40 hours between tests, then it's a doubling rate of 46.75 which is right on target if not better than 48 hours.

25. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@Tidybee: I hope your next set of numbers is super reassuring but in the mean time I am going to put my faith in @however briefly: 's math. Are you still spotting or has it tapered off?

This afternoon we met with the first home birth midwife. She was wonderful and really helped us feel at ease with the process. My husband was ready to cancel our other meetings and go with her but I would still like to meet with the others. I am definitely a person who likes having all of the options laid out and then I pick the best one.

Have you guys all picked care providers?

26. wonderstruck

pomegranate / 3791 posts

@Cole: We've picked ours - last time it took me a few weeks and when I called they told me that all of the midwives at the hospital were booked up for my delivery month and gave me the phone number of the two other offices to try! Luckily one of them did have openings so I still got the hospital I wanted, but yeah...after that I made sure to book that quickly this time.

27. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

My sister finally has had her first WTF pregnancy symptom. She HATES tomatoes with a passion and yet yesterday she devoured a bagel with cream cheese, salmon, and a mountain of tomatoes and couldn't stop talking about how good the tomatoes were. Her girlfriend was seriously considering that she had been body-snatched for a few moments there

Anyone else gotten any food cravings or idiosyncrasies besides nausea yet?

@Tidybee: How was the beta yesterday? Did you get the results yet?

28. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@however briefly: That's so funny about the tomatoes! I am secretly hoping I end up like that. I am a crazy picky eater so it would be nice to magically like things I hate. So far though nothing!

@wonderstruck: I am glad you were able to get in! I have heard stories about that type of thing so I called the day after I got a positive but thankfully no one seemed concerned about timing even if it takes me a couple of weeks to decide who to go with.

29. Tidybee

nectarine / 2834 posts

@bushelandapeck: Thanks! I've actually been pretty relaxed. I'm reminding myself that for right now I'm pregnant and what will be will be and it's really beyond my control. Did your mom find out your secret??
    @however briefly: That is so sweet of you. It's helping me to stay positive and hope this is some freak spotting. The blood draw was fine. I'll get my results tomorrow I think when I go to the doctor. I think he'll give me an ultrasound too because he said he'd monitor with an ultrasound once my betas were over 6000 which they should be if they stay increasing at this rate. I'm not seeing an RE for this pregnancy and I wasn't being monitored at all. We really were just NTNP and having fun since TTC for DD was long, difficult and stressful and we wanted the opposite experience for LO #2. The only reason I got the betas taken was because I went in last week after 2 episodes of bright red bleeding after going to the bathroom. Being only over 4w, the u/s showed every little.
    @Cole: The spotting got a lot darker and I think I saw streaks of red early yesterday but really tapered off and haven't had any so far this morning. Let's hope.

30. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@Cole: we haven't decided on a provider yet. I wanted to use a particular OB who we saw during out miscarriage but she only sees patients on Tues and that day doesn't work for me. I'm seeing a new woman on 2/24 so we'll see if I like her.
    @however briefly: no real cravings or aversions yet but I have been hungrier in the late mornings (9:30/10am) and find that I have to eat something to avoid feeling sick. That, and I've been super lightheaded when I stand up too fast.

I managed to just avoid the drinking and she didn't seem to notice much. I drank sparking water and wa pretty tired so we both went bed early.

31. however briefly

cherry / 249 posts

So I was just messaging with a friend and at the end, she asked me if we had a timeline yet for when we were starting the surrogacy fertility treatments. We were fairly transparent early on in the decision process with quite a few of our friends and family but it's been three years in the making at this point so while we get the occasional question like this, it's generally not really a topic of conversation anymore.

But when she asked, I literally froze up! I had no idea how to answer! Do I lie, do I tell the truth? I feel it's way too soon to be telling casual friends but then I really don't want to flat out lie to them or anything. I ended up claiming I needed to check the oven because dinner was ready so I had to go and never actually answered but if I had been on the phone, I would have felt backed into a corner.

I'm now contemplating becoming a social hermit for the next six weeks because I seriously don't want to be put in that situation again!

Has anyone else had any moments like this yet?

32. Cole

grapefruit / 4649 posts

@however briefly: Thankfully the only person who asked something along those lines is a friend's socially awkward brother and I had no qualms about just lying. It isn't like he would do the math anyway! I have a friend who checks in about ttc from time to time but thankfully she hasn't said anything and I won't see her for a few more weeks. I think I would try to be vague and say something like "we are still working out the details". It is tricky though!

@bushelandapeck: I didn't realize how much of a pain scheduling could be. One group I thought I was going to releases four weeks of a schedule four weeks out and if you want an early or late appointment you have to call the day the schedule is released to make an appointment for a month out. One midwife only sees patients two days a week from 11-6. It is just really hard to handle the scheduling and work full time.

33. Mrs tartan

kiwi / 656 posts

@however briefly: one of my best friends who I haven't seen since before Xmas asked me over text mid conversation if I was pregnant yet? (In a jokey manner, as she would NEVER have suspected me to be, just as we used to talk and I'd say how annoyed I was getting at people asking that q just because I got married last year) argh it was awful, DH and I have promised not to tell anyone yet. So I lied and said "of course not". Terrible!

34. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@however briefly: I haven't gotten any questions lately as we didn't tell anyone we were pregnant last time when we miscarried. We were using the "have you seen how busy LO is?!" and laughing when people asked. DH has had one friend ask if we were trying and he said we were trying, but didn't say anything else. I hope the next 4-6 weeks go by quick;y so we can tell people. It's so hard to keep it a secret!

@Cole: I really hope I like this new OB, otherwise I may end up switching to a different practice, even though I had a good birth experience with LO. I always have to wait forever at my appointments (like upwards of two hours a couple of times) and the only reason we chose it is because it's close to both of our work.

35. Mrs. Jellyfish

blogger / grape / 99 posts

Has anyone told family yet? We told our parents today. my husband wanted to tell them all the day we found out, but I made him wait until 6 weeks. We plan on telling everyone else at 12 weeks. It's so hard not to!

36. lioneyes

persimmon / 1286 posts

we told my parents this weekend (not even 5 weeks!) both of them burst into hysterical tears, so worth it. we're waiting to tell the ILs until we see a heartbeat and the OB gives us the ok.

37. bushelandapeck

pomelo / 5720 posts

@megan: we haven't. I almost told my sister and mom yesterday but decided against it. We are waiting until we hear the heartbeat sometime between 10-12 weeks.

38. Ms.Pumpkin

apricot / 435 posts

@megan: We've told 3 people so far- a friend who has kids, so she can be my pregnancy sounding board, and both of our sisters. Our sisters are pretty important people to both of us, so we're glad to have their support. And I would have told my sister anyway if anything went horribly wrong, so it just made sense to tell her now.

We're probably going to wait to tell the rest of our families until at least after the first prenatal appointment, when we can see a heartbeat.

I'm sure our immediate families are going to be thrilled (especially the Mr's! They've been DYING for a grandchild for so long!), but I'm a bit worried about my grandparents, because we're not married yet! We decided not to wait due to age issues, but this is still my Grandma. She wasn't thrilled that we were moving in together before marriage, so I'm just hoping that the excitement of the first great-grandchild will take over quickly, and she won't be too disappointed.

It's hilarious- I'm 36, and still dread disappointing my Gramma.

39. mrskoloa

cherry / 242 posts

Update: Here is something new that is making me cry--

I have been so out of it, I will try to follow the threads of many conversations.

I picked my provider. He was the same person I saw when we miscarried.

The only people I have told are my two office mates because they can cover for me if I need to lay down for a second, my chiropractor so he doesn't squish the baby, and my father-in-law so I can get out of building the house without feeling guilty.

I'm waiting to tell my parents until we hear the heartbeat, plus I got in a huge fight with my dad so it's not really the right time to tell them anyway.

I was at a girl's night a couple weeks ago and, of course, everyone's asking everyone if she's pregnant and I had to lie and pretend to drink wine.

@however briefly: I'm glad your sister likes tomatoes now, because they are delish!

@Tidybee: I'm sure everything will work out. When's your next beta?

@Ms.Pumpkin: I know what you mean about disappointing your family. I still live for my parents' approval.

Blah. I'm still sickly, My husband has been picking up the load big time... cooking AND washing dishes (usually I wash dishes), while I lay miserably on the couch. Some days it's actually not that bad, and I start to get hopeful... then later that day it will come again. BUT on the upside, my breasts have evened out in size!

40. Mrs tartan

kiwi / 656 posts

@megan: we haven't told a soul and I'm 7 weeks. Possibly tell both sets of parents next weekend. May just wait until after 12 week scan, still undecided!

Are anyone's symptoms changing? I seem to finally be starting to feel sick, did not sleep a wink last night, just lay awake trying not to throw up. Ugh not looking forward to work today!

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee