Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

October 2015 Postpartum Chat

1. BSB

hostess / wonderful apple seed / 16729 posts

Sorry, I'm not the best at keeping up with these long threads.

But I got a question for you all, does your LO babble a lot? DS babbles a lot. DD babbles some but definitely not as much as DS. Is this normal?

2. BelugaBean

pomegranate / 3516 posts

@bluestriped bee: She does babble a lot but my first LO didn't. She ended up speaking a little later than a lot of her friends but is above average now in how she's speaking and her vocabulary. Is your DD a little ahead of DS in motor skills or any other area? Sometimes they just focus on different things. All kids move at different paces though and I've tried not to be concerned unless or pediatrician was even though I know that's easier said than done!

3. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@NovBaby1112: C *just started going once or twice a day around last week. He was also going like 6+ times a day....

@bluestriped bee: my little man is talking a lot now. Lots of noises, coos, laughs & bubbles. All babies are definitely different with this. I think some just talk more than others.

4. BelugaBean

pomegranate / 3516 posts

@NovBaby1112: This LO is only going like once every few days. She goes up to a week in between. Everything says it's normal and it's always soft but it's very strange to me. It's anywhere from 3-7 days between.

5. BSB

@BelugaBean: Oh, good. Thanks! That's what I needed to hear.

6. Mrs. Pickle

blogger / wonderful cherry / 21628 posts

@bluestriped bee: DD doesn't babble too much. She grunts and squeals quite a bit. She hasn't fully laughed yet either.

I though DD might be teething because she's chewing on everything and drooling a ton. I was reading some old threads and it sounds like she's probably too young to really be teething. I bought her a couple teething toys and froze some breastmilk to put in a mesh feeder for her anyway. She seemed to like it.

I went back to work today. DD went with me. I work 15-20 hours a week. It was challenging to get everything done with her there, but I managed! I woke her up so that she'd be ready for her first nap when it was time to go. She slept in her car seat a little while and then played happily on the floor or sat in my lap.

7. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: go you! I can't imagine working with my babe. Depends on your job obviously, but I find I can't get stuff done unless it is after she has gone to bed. I often put a bib on J because her drooling is pretty substantial and it catches occasional spit up so we don't have to constantly change outfits.

I am trying for laughs, we're so close. She has had a couple of giggles and one day where she full on laughed when I was making the same grunty noises she was making right in front of her face. It melted me. The first time I heard her laugh I teared up-so much love.

I have packed away clothes that are too small! Do people feel like time is flying by?

8. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: p.s. How was your long road trip? You already went on it, right? We are planning on a 16 hour road trip at the end of July, to visit in-laws. We'll split it up into two days, but we are concerned with how much longer it will take and how she'll do in the car for such an extended period of time.

9. Mrs. Pickle

@Mrs. Goose: it was ok! The first leg was a disaster... but I think it's because we had to stop while she was sleeping and it messed her up. The rest of the time she did fine. We had to stop every 2-3 hours to nurse and change her diaper and each stop lasted 20-30 minutes. She did sleep most of the time we were moving and would cry when she needed something. I bought a mirror like Mrs. KMM suggested in my thread and DD liked it. We decided to drive straight home instead of splitting it into two days because of the weather. The 12 hour drive took 15. I honestly don't want to do any more road trips. I just felt bad with DD in her car seat so much, even though she did great. Mom guilt shows up in weird ways sometimes!

10. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: I hear you on that! I feel bad when we go on longer outings for errands and she is in her car seat a lot.

11. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

ugh little man has croup! my older son never had this.. it came outta nowhere, and scared the sh*t out of me. we were up all night with him but he seems OK today. he's got that barking cough - but in good spirits, no fever - no cold symptoms either, it's so weird ---- anyone else dealt with this?? It's so sad since he's so little

12. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@hellobeeboston: oh no!!! Poor C what's the treatment for croup? Or is there nothing you can do but just ride it out? I hope he feels better ASAP!

13. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@hellobeeboston: oh no! croup is the worst--L had it when he was 14 months old. Is he on steroid treatments? I hear that helps very quickly. And also cold air--either take him outside or hold him in front of the open fridge. I hope he feels better soon

14. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Mrs. Goose: time is definietly flying, can't believe C is over 3 months old already! that seems so big, but she still looks so little to me. @Mrs. Pickle: I think this age is when their salivary glands kick into full gear, and they also start noticing their hands, so the drooling and chewing is more developmental than actual teething--My first LO did this all the time but didn't get any teeth til 9 months!

15. Mrs. Pickle

@hellobeeboston: oh no! Poor guy. I hope he feels better soon.

@hilsy85: that's good to know!

DD started sucking on her bottom lip and making different cooing noises yesterday. She also started reaching for her feet. It's amazing how fast she grows and changes! I really like this age. She's so alert and happy.

16. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@Mrs. Goose: @hilsy85: time is going way too fast! I can't believe DS will be 4 months in a few days Not looking forward to the 4 month sleep regression!

17. Mrs. Pickle

I put DD in her crib today for a nap to see how it would go. She currently naps in the swing, car seat, or while nursing. Well, she rolled from back to belly twice! I was not expecting that! We're going to have to swaddle wean and actually try to get her to sleep in her crib soon. I'm not looking forward to it.

18. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: wow!! Talented! ds is still baby blob, he doesn't even roll the other way!

@hellobeeboston: dd (3) had it a couple weeks ago. 9 days of fever and cold symptoms and misery!! And she's sick this week with some kind of virus from preschool. Vomit, fever, cold symptoms. And pink eye is going around according to the email we got. Feels like it will never ever end.

19. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@hellobeeboston: how's C doing??

@Mrs. Pickle: oh wow!! Yea I'm dreading swaddle weaning...my LO isn't rolling yet but I know we need to ditch swaddle soon...

20. BelugaBean

pomegranate / 3516 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: LO rolled back to belly at 2 months and it freaked me out because LO1 was four months before she did that. We've had her in a sleep sack for a while though because she never appreciated being swaddled. It did help with LO1 though because it's convertible so we just went from arms in to arms out.

21. Mrs. Pickle

@NovBaby1112: @BelugaBean: we put her in a sleep sack and it's going ok! The first night she Sttn and last night she did her usual one wake up. It takes a little longer for her to fall asleep and we have to hold her hands down for a minute or two when we first lay her down. She's still in the RNP though. I know I need to get her in her crib. DH doesn't think so because our friend's son slept in it until he was 10 months old. I'm going to work hard on getting her in her crib for naps this week.

22. hellobeeboston

honeydew / 7235 posts

@NovBaby1112: hi! He is better! The croupy cough went away after 2 nights and turned into a head cold with a mucousy cough. He's good though, just this cold! Hate croup though, so scary!!

23. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@hellobeeboston: glad he is better!

@NovBaby1112: also dreading the 4 month sleep regression...although DD's sleep isn't as organized yet as DS's was at this age, so I feel like maybe a regression won't be as noticeable/awful.

How many feedings are your babes having during the day? We seem to be stuck on 7 a day, including 2 overnights usually. I feel like at our 4 month pedi appt she will tell us that we need to start cutting down on them, which only seems like it will be possible once DD starts napping for longer (she is currently going on 2 hours, which is awesome and will definitely help spread out her feedings today).

24. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@hilsy85: I'll probably have about 7 today and that's I think what we normally have. I'm feeding her every 2-3 hours and she sleeps usually to either 4:30 or 6:30. I had been feeding her around 4/4:30 when she was rustling around, but I might try to cut that back out so my sleep stays better because I can't fall back asleep once I dreamfeed her at that early hour and she doesn't sleep particularly well when I put her back in the crib after that early feed. This morning I got up at 6:30 instead of trying to keep her sleepy and then I just put her for a nap at 8:45. I know they're supposed to be able to go longer between feedings, but I am just sort of doing what she appears to need/like and hoping it all works out.

I don't get long naps in the day ever now. I think I just have a low sleep needs baby. I used to be able to hold her for a long afternoon nap (2-3 hours) if she had just had two cat naps, but even that doesn't work anymore. The longest nap I get is 45 minutes and that is rare. Right now she naps 3 times in the day (for half an hour), maybe 4 if I can get her down for a short nap before I put her to bed between 8 and 9. I put her in her crib in our room (when I am home), in her sleep sack, with white noise and the blinds closed and she still doesn't sleep past that half hour mark. She's wide awake when she wakes up too. I spy on her with the monitor before I go get her just to see if she'll fall back asleep.

25. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@hellobeeboston: so scary! But glad he is feeling better!!

@hilsy85: yea I feel like DSs sleep was so much better when he when he was younger! He eats once overnight but im having to put his paci back in sometimes 3 times a night! Ugh

For eating, he eats about 4oz every 2.5-3 hours during day, so probably 5 times a day and once overnight. Does it seem like she is snacking and not filling up? Can you try stretching her gradually?

26. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@NovBaby1112: I think we really should just cut out one overnight feeding--I don't think she really needs two, and honestly sometimes I feed her just to get her to go back to sleep, but she's not crying, just kind of whining. it's hard because she's right next to our bed, so if she's awake but not crying and making noise, then DH and i are awake too. I just don't really have anything else other than nursing that soothes her. I wish she took a paci! @Mrs. Goose: That' sounds pretty good and normal! We are also at 3 (if they are long ones) or 4 (if they are normal 40-60 min ones) naps a day. I tihnk the 30 min nap is normal because that's one sleep cycle--sometimes DD will soothe herself back and sleep another hour (that's what happened this morning) but generally we are heading out or something so I just get her up.

She also has a flat spot on the back of her head. It's very small and the pedi said it's not helmet worthy, but basically I shouldn't have her on her back except when she's sleeping that is basically impossible! I try to wear her or hold her as much as possible, but sometimes she just needs to chill on her activity mat or something while I help LO1 or do other things. I just hope it improves as she gets bigger.

27. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

@hilsy85: I hear ya, I had to move DS bc he kept waking me up with little noises! But now I'm going all the way upstairs to re-insert paci every night and that sucks. At this point I wish he wouldn't take one!!

28. Mrs. Pickle

@hilsy85: DD takes 3-4 naps a day and nurses 6-8 times and once overnight. Most of her nursing sessions are short so I think that's why they are more frequent. She likes to snack! She does like to have one long session combined with a nap on me and I let her do it if I'm not at work and we have no where to go. I don't mind the snuggles. I'm sure any future baby won't get that luxury. Have you thought about moving her out of your room? When we were out of town DD was sleeping in the same room as DH and I and she woke 2-4 times a night instead of her usual 1. Once we got home she went right back to normal. I think she could sense me there and took advantage when we were in the same room!

29. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@NovBaby1112: I hear ya on the paci. I think I was up 5 or 6 times replacing it. But then I think he's getting sick since everyone else is sick so who really knows...

30. Mrs. Goose

pear / 1737 posts

@hilsy85: good to know about it sounding normal. It does sound pretty unrealistic to never have your baby lying down except when sleeping! Hopefully she'll be moving around a bit more soon anyway and lying on different parts of her head. It sounds small so that's good! Someone at a baby group I go to has a 5 month old with a fairly large flat spot on the back, but no helmet has been recommended and she doesn't even like being on her back so isn't very often.

@Mrs. Pickle: mine is a bit of a snacker too I feel. I feel she should be able to go longer between feedings. She fools around at the breast when she is done though. Ah well, I have the freedom to feed her frequently now. I love the snuggles and think the same as you about future kiddies not having that attention.

I think I might move her out of our room after 6 months. I don't sleep that heavily when she is snuffling around, but I'm not ready to put her in her own room yet!

31. BSB

@Mrs. Pickle: Whoah! What a roll-ey baby! That's so great!

DS is rolling from tummy to back but that's it. DD has not rolled yet.

32. hilsy85

squash / 13764 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: I would love to move her out of her room, but she will be sharing with DS, and I am scared that he will wake her up--he often gets up in the MOTN to use the bathroom or to call for us for something. Plus, there is nowhere to nurse her in that room, so I'd have to bring her back into our room to nurse, and then back to her room...seems like a lot of movement in the MOTN. Not sure how long I can deal with her in our room though--plus she is only a few inches away from otgrowing the bassinet by our bed!

33. Mrs. Pickle

@hilsy85: that's tough. I wouldn't have moved her yet in that situation either.

34. NovBaby1112

grapefruit / 4066 posts

DS rolled yesterday from back to belly a few times, I was so excited!! It felt like he was never going to roll lol

We had our 4 month checkup yesterday- C is 13lbs 3oz and 25 inches....I thought for sure he would be more like 14-15lbs bc he has been eating so much but I guess not! I was a bit worried he dropped from 25% to 10% but trying not to stress too much...he's pretty tall so I bet he will just be long and lean! M was such a chunker at his age, she was already over 17lbs at 4 months! but trying not to compare!

35. MamaBear87

nectarine / 2288 posts

I'm doing a horrible job of keeping up!
    I'm staying home with lo so I really have no idea how many times she eats, I just fed her when she's hungry and put her to sleep when she's tired. I feel so lucky to have that luxury.

We just moved and oh man boxes everywhere! The babe did surprisingly well with all the upheaval and strange people all over. Glad to be done with movers and in the new house finally!

Sounds like everyone is doing well! Glad to hear it!

36. Mrs. Pickle

We transitioned DD to her crib last night and it went great! She slept well and woke up her usual one time. She's a mover though! And she discovered that it's fun to kick the slats when she wakes up. I elevated the mattress so it would be like the RNP and I don't think she cared since she wound up at the low end and turned sideways.

37. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@NovBaby1112: My son is still nowhere near rolling. He's physically strong enough but just doesn't care. Dd didn't roll back to belly til 5.5 months though (although she was rolling the other way early on.) This kid just wants to be held sitting up all the time (which is something we shouldn't really get in the habit of doing, but oh well.) I feel bad for him because DD is sick yet again (as in, if she wasn't better today, we were being admitted to the hospital kind of sick) and and dh is sick too and he just keeps drawing the short stick for attention.

38. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

We also moved our older lo into our old room which is now her play area and her bedroom (and bathroom!) and ds is in the room they were going to share, and we moved upstairs to the loft, but for now ds is still with us. We're going to get the storage in his room sorted out and then maaaaaybe move him to his room. I surprisingly don't feel rushed to move him into his room. With dd I couldn't wait!

39. 2littlepumpkins

grapefruit / 4455 posts

@MamaBear87: Glad your move went well!

40. renee0106

cherry / 197 posts

@Mrs. Pickle: What did you do to elevate the mattress?

We've tried putting DS in his crib this weekend a few times and he sleeps for about 30 minutes and then wakes up. I'm usually so tired by that point I just give in a put him in his Rock 'N Play.

Reply »

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee