Hellobee Boards

Login/Register

August 2014 - Postpartum Chat!

1. Mrs. M

kiwi / 645 posts

@Mrs.Someone: DS is also getting his 2-month shots on Wednesday! I remember when my daughter got these shots she was a little bit fussier than normal and had a slightly elevated temperature (I checked her baby book to make sure I wasn't confusing this with other shots). It only lasted a day for her. Every baby is different so I'm hoping this doesn't happen this time around! Minus that, I thought those shots were much easier since baby doesn't have a fear of shots yet. Good luck!

2. kodybear

pear / 1616 posts

@Mrs.Someone: both dd and ds were alittle fussier than normal but no fever and they just slept a lot more than normal. Hope it goes well for u!

3. LBee

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@Mrs.Someone: DS got them and he was pretty much normal (which unfortunately meant he didn't sleep any more than usual either). His little leg was sore though ! During the shots he got HUGE tears, but after he rebounded pretty quick. We gave Tylenol to him after, at the advisement of my doctor.

A few tips:
    - See if you can put his clothes back on before the shots (assuming your doctor makes you strip him down to a diaper for check-ups). That way you can just run right out after and you don't have to make him go through the getting re-dressed routine.
    - Ask about what Tylenol dosage he should be taking if you plan to do this... we had to call because the bottle says "consult your pediatrician."
    - Move his legs after the shots - this helps disperse the medicine quicker so it doesn't burn as much!

One weird thing was that the nurse who gave the shots decided after the shots that she would comfort DS. My husband finally said, "umm.. can we have our baby?"

ETA: Changed my username, btw

4. msmug

apricot / 403 posts

@lbee: those are good tips. I'm going to have to remember them as I take my boys to their 2 month appt next week. I'm scared for the shots they'll have to get!

5. Mrs.Someone

pomelo / 5228 posts

@LBee: Thanks for the tips!

6. mrskc

bananas / 9357 posts

@swurlygurl: we are doing the same!

DS will be Mickey Mouse and dd will be Minnie. I found a 3-6 month size Minnie outfit on amazon.

7. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

Has anyone thought much about birth control and breastfeeding? We've been using condoms, which suck. I was on BCP before and didnt have any problems, but I've heard there is a non-trivial rate of accidental pregnancies with the mini pill that's breastfeeding safe. The Mirena sounds nice in theory, but somehow just makes me nervous. We don't plan on TTC until around LO's 2nd birthday, so we'd be using whatever for about 2 years.

8. LBee

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@JennyPenny: I used the mini-pill prior to getting pregnant, so I'm just back on it. The failure rate is based on not taking it at the same time every day.

9. jape14

pear / 1586 posts

@JennyPenny: I was on the mini-pill for a year or so prior to getting pregnant. I think it's a good option if you know you can take it at the same time every day. I set an alarm on my phone for a time of day I knew I'd be awake and home. I have friends who keep it in their purse and take it during the day, also using an alarm.

I thought about the mini-pill again, but my OB recommended Mirena. He told me that his wife is on her second one (after having had a baby last year) and really likes it. I figured that if he's comfortable recommending it to his wife, I should be comfortable with his advice! I'm 6 weeks postpartum and will be getting it placed sometime in the next month or so. I'll definitely report back about it!

10. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@LBee: @erind425: Thanks! Glad to hear from people who've taken it before. I guess that's part of my worry - I was only so/so about taking it at the same time before having a baby. At first I would think I'd be worse with having a baby, but my schedule is a lot more regimented now because of nursing. So maybe I could do it...

11. LBee

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@JennyPenny: I am sooo much worse now that I have the baby. Before I NEVER missed a pill - I was halfway out of the driveway this morning when I remembered I never took my birth control. Ugh.

12. LBee

pomegranate / 3895 posts

My mom texted me today that DS doesn't fit in the length of his emergency outfit (ugh, diaper blow-out). He's never worn it before and it's size 3-6. Can we stop time?

Have we done a baby stats check? Some quick questions:

Baby's age?
    Birth weight & height?
    Current weight & height (or estimate)?
    Currently wearing what size?

13. LBee

pomegranate / 3895 posts

Baby's age? 9 weeks tomorrow!
    Birth weight & height? 6 lbs 13 oz, 19 inches
    Current weight & height (or estimate)? He was 12 lbs 13 oz and 24 1/2 inches at his 8 week appointment (done at 7 weeks)... I'm guessing he's around 14 lbs now! No idea on height!
    Currently wearing what size? Mainly in his 3-6 months clothes, due to length! He's really long!

ETA: I re-read this and I seem kind of exclamation mark happy... I'm not that excited over stats, not sure what was going on.

14. swurlygurl

honeydew / 7091 posts

@JennyPenny: Haha, I'm sure you are all going to think I'm NUTS, but I don't think I'm going to do any sort of birth control. I hate every option. I'm going to hope that BFing works to keep me from ovulating, and if not, then we're having baby #3 whenever it so happens. I'll probably try some sort of NFP by watching my cycles, but I'm pretty lazy about stuff like that. I just want to hurry and have all my babies, and then make DH go get our permanent form of BC... haha.

@mrskc: @Mrs. M: I can't wait to see all our Minnie/Mickey costumes!

@LBee: Good idea!

Baby's age? 7 weeks on Thursday

Birth weight and height? 9 lb 2 oz, 22 in

Current weight and height (or estimate)? Oh man, no idea. 2 weeks ago she was 11 lb 1 oz and 22.5 in. I'm going to guess... 12 lb and 23 in?

Currently wearing what size? Hahaha, I'm in denial so I'm still stuffing her in NB clothes. She really fits best in Carters 3 mo clothes

15. Mrs.Someone

pomelo / 5228 posts

Ugh, I have no idea why I thought it would be a good idea to work from home with a baby. A client just dumped a TON of work on me and expects me to get it done in 2 weeks. Had to be honest with them...

E has his 2mo appointment tomorrow, so I'll update stats then!

16. jape14

pear / 1586 posts

@LBee: great idea!

Baby's age? 6 weeks tomorrow
    Birth weight & height? 8 lbs 5 oz, 21 inches
    Current weight & height (or estimate)? He was 10 lbs 6 oz, 23 inches last Monday. I'm pretty sure he's grown quite a bit since then, though, because he's outgrown all of his NB clothes in the past week I'd guess he's about 11 lbs now and maybe grown another half inch?
    Currently wearing what size? He's in 0-3 month clothes now. We have way more options in 0-3 so dressing him has been so much fun!

17. Mrs. M

kiwi / 645 posts

We just got back from our 2-month wellness check. Wondering if our little guy will be fussy and feverish later on today!

Baby's age? 9 weeks today
    Birth weight & height? 8 lbs. 14 oz., 21 inches
    Current weight & height? 13 lbs. 11 oz., 24 inches
    Currently wearing what size? Depends on the brand, but mostly 3-6 months. He is going up in sizes so much faster than my daughter did at this age! Makes me so sad!

@Mrs.Someone: I can't even imagine. Working from home with a baby must be so difficult!!! Hang in there!

18. Mrs.Someone

pomelo / 5228 posts

Just got back from our 2mo appointment, and so far so good (sigh of relief). Baby is sleeping it off at the moment, and did OK with the shots. Also, we're doing well with weight gain again, yay!

Baby's age? 9 weeks
    Birth weight & height? 6lb, 7oz, 18"
    Current weight & height (or estimate)? 9lb, 7oz, 21.5"
    Currently wearing what size? 0-3, though some if it is a little big still.

19. kodybear

pear / 1616 posts

@JennyPenny: between lo1 and lo2 we just did pull n pray and it worked! haha after lo1 turned 1 year we started trying again and got pregnant with lo2 on the first month. this time around we know we are done so dh is looking to get snipped very soon!

Baby's age? 10w3d
    Birth weight & height? 6lb 6oz 19in
    Current weight & height (or estimate)? he was 10lb 2oz at 7.5 weeks. he should be about 11.5-12lb now.
    Currently wearing what size? 3m, starting to get too small for him tho so we'll be going up to 3-6m month soon!

20. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@LBee: man, and I wasn't even good at it before! Maybe I'm crazy in thinking it could be a good option...

@swurlygurl: I sooo don't think you're crazy. This has crossed my mind too...or maybe just pull n pray like @kodybear. Especially since AF hasn't shown up yet... I still can't make up my mind.

Baby's age? 10.5 weeks
    Birth weight & height? 7lb 8oz. 21 inches
    Current weight & height (or estimate)? At his 9wk appt he was 12 lb 1 oz and 24.5 inches.
    Currently wearing what size? 0-3 months still but I need to move him up in his footed sleepers at least. He's long and skinny!

21. chibee

pear / 1974 posts

@JennyPenny: lol to be completely honest abstinence is the answer but i did talk to my OB about mirena and probably going that route!

Baby's age? 8 weeks today!
    Birth weight & height? 7lbs 15oz 20 in
    Current weight & height (or estimate)? he was 10.5lbs at 4 weeks and 21 in - and he has been rapidly growing out of his clothes and diaper sizes so i'm sure he's grown - if i had to guess, 13lbs and 22 in?
    Currently wearing what size? 3m juuuust fits him, maybe a little snug even

22. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

Feeling grumpy because I forgot one of my pump membranes, so I had to pump one boob at a time. I kept a bottle on the right while I pumped the left first to catch any extra from let down and got about half an ounce. Which I promptly spilled all over myself while switching sides. So not only has pumping taken twice as long. I didn't get even close to enough for a full bottle and my skirt is soaked. And, I was so grumpy about the spilled stuff on my skirt, I didn't think to put a bottle on my left while I pumped my right, and I just noticed theres another stain on my shirt/skirt from milk just dripping out of there! Sorry for the pity party, but you ladies are the only ones who would understand...

23. Mrs. M

kiwi / 645 posts

@JennyPenny: Oh no...so sorry! Forgetting pump parts is awful! With my first, DH would help pack the pump bag and once left out the power cord. I lived an hour away from work and had to hand express milk since he couldn't bring it to me until a couple hours later. I had milk everywhere and was so pissy! Hoping the rest of your day goes better!

24. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@Mrs. M: oh man! I can only imagine. I would be so cranky if I had to hand express milk and couldn't even keep it!

My day was seeming up, but then daycare asked me to start packing 5oz bottles instead of 4oz. I've been struggling to get 12oz a day... Don't know how I'm going to get 15. I guess I'll try and add another pumping session during the day but I'm not sure when

25. smores

cherry / 163 posts

Hi ladies!!

Love the halloween costumes! I couldn't decide what I wanted to get DS so he still doesn't have a costume after going to several stores and not finding anything that clicked (or came in 0-6 months size!)I finally decided what I want but now I can't find it!!

DS finally started sleeping for 6 hour stretches and I was feeling all confident and then he had some gas issues and was up all night one night- or so it seemed. I think I got 3 hours of sleep that night and was a basket case the next day and he was soooo fussy!! Babies are such mysteries!!

Baby's age? 12 weeks today!
    Birth weight & height? 6 lbs, 8 ounces, 20 inches
    Current weight & height (or estimate)?hmmm at his 2 month he was 10 lbs, 3 ounces and 22 inches so I'd guess about 11-12 pounds now??
    Currently wearing what size? Mostly 0-3 and 3 month stuff. It was so sad to pack away the NB stuff!!

@JennyPenny: that sucks!! Question: how many bottles do you give daycare for the day?

I was thinking if my DS is at daycare for 9.5 hours (so long!!

26. smores

cherry / 163 posts

Where did the rest of my post go?? I hate posting on my phone!! Anyway, he eats every two hours so that would be about 5 feedings at about 4 ounces each. Does that sounds about right? That would be 20 ounces and I think I'll only be able to pump three times a day...it that feasible?

27. JennyPenny

nectarine / 2460 posts

@Apples4Teacher: My DS is at daycare from 9-5. On weekends with me, he eats every 3 hrs at 8:30, 11:30, 2:30, and 5:30. So I had planned that he would only need to be fed twice at daycare. I also am super lucky that my daycare is on site, so I can (and often do) nurse DS for at least one of those feeds.

I had been sending 3 4oz bottles. (2 for in case I couldn't nurse, and then an extra for safety) But DS was blowing through the bottles. This past week I would still nurse at 11:30, but when I picked him up at 5:00 he'd have eaten 2 more (or sometimes all 3!!!) bottles! Hopefully, the 5oz bottles will keep him satisfied longer?

Personally, I only get 3-5 ounces per pumping session, so I would not be able to do 20 ounces with 3 pumps. I used to get 8-9 at a time, but since going back to work I'm just watching my pumping output dwindle and dwindle. Oddly enough (and I had heard, but didn't believe this would happen) I produce well on Monday, and it just gets less and less throughout the week. Lactation is weird!

28. LBee

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@Apples4Teacher: Have you already started pumping? That's the only real way to know. I get about 24 ozs a day and I pump 3 times at work and 1 time right after his AM feed. You may have to throw in a pumping session at home - I've always heard that you need to pump as many times as the feeds you need to make.

29. smores

cherry / 163 posts

I haven't started pumping a lot. I pump here and there if I need to be gone for a few hours and usually only get about 4 ounces ...so I would not be able to pump enough to feed him with three pumps at that amount. I guess I assumed when I'm not nursing every two hours I would be able to pump more? I am not opposed to him getting formula too if need be but....how did you guys go about pumping to have enough for your first day back? I don't have a lot of time during the day and am afraid he won't want to drink thawed milk that was frozen for some reason....gaaaahhhh I don't want to go back to work!!!!

30. LBee

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@Apples4Teacher: I felt the exact same way!! I was so nervous about even how to handle pumping with my co-workers. It ended up being pretty easy. For me, I don't produce the same when I pump less. My supply just adjusts to the new schedule. For what it's worth, my son has no issue drinking the dethawed milk. I was terrified about it (I was silly and decided to not try it out before so I had literally no idea if he would take the bottle and didn't have a Plan B since I was at work) and he didn't skip a beat with eating.

I started pumping right after his first feed to build up a stash starting at 2 weeks. We now have our morning routine planned around me being able to do that pumping session. You could maybe do that and one right before you go to bed (I assume he eats and then does a good stretch of sleep?).

Going back to work absolutely sucks, but it gets better!

31. LBee

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@JennyPenny: By the way, since your post I now have emergency pump parts in my desk and an extra bottle + top. Thanks for helping me be more prepared!

32. smores

cherry / 163 posts

@LBee and @JennyPenny: thanks for the advice!

So I wrote before that the past few nights (weeks) have been rough. DS is not napping too often or sleeping well. We had a few good days when the doctor increased his acid reflux meds but then it was back to general fussiness and poor sleep. I basically broke down and called the pediatrician today crying bc it honestly seems like he is in pain. The nurse was so nice and said we would get a referral for a GI doc but suggested we being him in to make sure nothing else was going on. The Ped basically said since he likes to nurse all the time it's probably not acid reflux but rather a lack of sleep and possibly just his "temperament" and that I should try and get him to nap 1.5 hours at a time every hour. Just to swaddle him, walk him around until he falls asleep even if he cries.

I have never felt more horrible and confused. The Ped is not one we usually see and did give us a referral to the GI but I felt like he just thought I was an idiot. It's not like I try to keep my baby from sleeping

So we tried twice to do as he said and DS fell asleep after crying in our arms, but he only slept for 30 min. each time. DH is here to help but how am I supposed to do this emotionally during the week when he's at work?? I spend my days trying not to piss off DS!!

Basically I am sad. :'(

33. xInfinity

cherry / 240 posts

@Apples4Teacher: I'm so sorry! I was actually doing some reading online today about normal amounts of awake and sleep time for K's age since she usually has a pretty long stretch of awake (but very fussy) time in the evenings. From what I read at this age they should generally be awake for about 1-2 hrs and then sleep again. The sleep will vary through the day and could be a quick 30 min nap or a 3 hour sleep. I assumed that she would just sleep when she needed to but that's apparently not true. So tonight I fed her and put her in her swing in the middle of her normal fussy time and she had a 40 minute sleep and was much happier the rest of the evening. Yay!

34. regberadaisy

GOLD / wonderful pomegranate / 28905 posts

Is anyone else going through the 4m regression?

Dd2 is sick with a bad night time cough, teething. Her sleep has been horrendous for a week, pretty much coincided with turning 4m. She's waking every hour on the hour and is pissed, angry then starts coughing like crazy. I have a bit of her cold and am trying my best to fight it off.

I'm blaming sickness, teething and regression for this bout of bad sleep!
    Whine whine whine!

35. LBee

pomegranate / 3895 posts

@regberadaisy: Oh no! I'm sorry you're going through so many wake-ups. A lot of us on the Facebook group are going through 4 month regression. We actually (fingers crossed so tight) seem to have just gotten out on the other side! T is a drool monster and doing that weird thing with his tongue (that supposedly indicates he's teething to anyone who sees him), but no teeth buds yet.

Hope her cough is better now!

I've wondered about starting a Summer 2014 Mom's HB group - it feels like a lot of us summer moms don't have a "home." I'm on HB during the day and not on Facebook, so it would be nice to have somewhere to check in about LO. Similar to the Spring 2013 Toddlers group. Just a thought though - I haven't started one because I've had the Facebook group and wasn't sure if it would get much traction anyways.

36. T.H.O.U.

wonderful clementine / 24134 posts

@LBee: For sure start a group! I agree that after these first 4-6 months, its better to group into "seasons" because they change so fast and it would be a larger group!

@regberadaisy: We dealt with that in December and it was rough. Poor guy just couldn't sleep. I tried everything. I know its bad but he ended up sleeping best propped up on the Boppy pillow.

37. swurlygurl

honeydew / 7091 posts

@LBee: I'd participate in both!!

@regberadaisy: K just turned 4 months, and she's been having some misc wake-ups here and there... But, she's also teething (I can see the white nubs!!) and we took a 12 day trip that completely blew up any kind of routine we had established. It's so hard to pin-point the culprit!

38. regberadaisy

GOLD / wonderful pomegranate / 28905 posts

@T.H.O.U.: I was planning on transitioning her out of the swing after Christmas. But with the bad cough I'm going to keep her in. Or elevate her mattress and do the switch now since sleep sucks anyway. Lol

You must login / Register to post

© copyright 2011-2014 Hellobee